PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H) Flight Simulator at Kemble?

KNIEVEL77
10th Jan 2009, 13:31
I know, so many questions, sorry!!!!!!

There is a Helicopter Training Facility based at Kemble who are offering hours on their flight simulator at £150 per hour plus vat.......I was just wondering if anyone has used it, they quote it giving you 5 hours credit towards your PPL(H)!

I'm assuming that their IS no substitute for 'hands on' flying????

206Fan
10th Jan 2009, 14:13
Is it a robinson sim?

KNIEVEL77
10th Jan 2009, 14:33
Not exactly!

Have a look at it, it's on Cotswolds Helicopters website!

R44-pilot
10th Jan 2009, 14:39
IMO for ppl it's a bit of a waste of money, unless your doing a ppl in a AS355!

It will take a ppl(h) pilot at least 5 hours to learn to fly it I should think, if it was a robbie yeah I could understand, and perfhaps great for a cpl(h) pilot etc....

But ppl? I'd spend to few extra quid on having real time in a robbie.

kneedwondean
10th Jan 2009, 15:56
In actual fact it has proved to be a really valuable training aid specifically for teaching Nav and RT. Once a student is ready to be taught Nav it takes 10mins to get used to the controls and get a basic scan together. The scenery database is superb, so getting students flying tracks and making course corrections, cockpit management and RT all combined is a much less stressful way of doing things. And it also means students can keep up their momentum during poor weather periods, especially at Kemble which is prone to low cloud and fog.

The list of training scenarios we could potentially cover could included basic VOR, diversions, in flight emergencies, etc. All at a much lower cost than getting in the R22.

Of course there is no subsitute for hands on, hence only five hours counts towards you PPL(H), but when getting to grips with nav it seems to work a treat. My experience is that the feel is not unlike a Jetranger, I seem to be able to come out of the sim and jump straight into the Jetranger no problem. No feedback of course, so flys like a hydraulic heli, but the handling/feel is not what its about.

If anyone wants more info PM me.....

helimutt
10th Jan 2009, 18:57
K77, one minute you're doing a ppl at northumbria, then you're going to put it on hold due cost, selling your car etc, then you ask about buying hiller, then flight sim time. You need to sit down and have a think about what you want mate. Do you want a PPL(H) or do you just want to fly helicopters. You might be better off just flying with an instructor whenever you fancy a go instead of wasting money doing just a PPL. I know from experience that a lot of people who gain a ppl, don't even keep it current afer completion. If you plan to go further with it, ie cpl etc, then bite the bullet and pick a reputable school and do it. I'm not having a go but feel you might be wasting your money without a sound plan in place. Not really the right climate to be indecisive.

:ok:

FLY 7
10th Jan 2009, 20:57
I think K77 is just buzzing with excitement about anything to do with helicopters - whether they affect him directly or not.

Surely such enthusiasm is a positive thing, and that's the beauty of having a dedicated forum.

KNIEVEL77
10th Jan 2009, 21:11
I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure! :ugh:

I'm very sorry chaps but I'm afraid i'm not as well off as others and so go into everything with a fine tooth comb before shelling out my hard earned cash........it took me 3 years before I eventually bought my Exige!

However your advice has been taken on board. I shall refrain form posting on here again until I have made a final decision.

Oh, and as stated the Hiller wasn't for me it was a colleague who showed an interest in it as he is shortly due to become quite well off with 'that barn find'!

helimutt
11th Jan 2009, 07:35
Oh come on K77, you know I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. I just see a lot of people think they know what they want when it comes to helicopters and then waste a lot of money over it through bad planning. The whole flying thing is so expensive and can literally change your life for years. I'm one of the self funded ones and know exactly what you're going through. It took me 12 years to get a full time salaried flying position from starting my ppl(h) in 1994. Ok I did my instructors rating etc, inbetween, but it took a lot of time, effort and money.

Please don't stop posting. I think Fly 7 is right. You definitely have enthusiasm.
Just focus on the important things, ie not going off and buying helmets and flying suits and sim time if you don't really need them. That would probably buy you 4 or 5 hours in the air.