PDA

View Full Version : Intercepted Mosquitos

virgo
10th Jan 2009, 09:27
There's a thread on the "Military" section about Stolen Aircraft and I've recalled the story about three Mosquitos which I heard were illegally sold by a scrap-man to Israel in 1955/6, were intercepted en-route and forced to land at Thruxton where they sat alongside the A303 for years until they were dragged away and burnt.
I don't suppose there's anyone in the Military old enough to have seen them or even heard the story...............can anyone here recall the full story ?

Atcham Tower
10th Jan 2009, 10:57
There were the hulks of three Mossies at Thruxton on 24 Aug 1960. they were G-AOCI, K and L. I have a photo somewhere, I don't know the background story but at least this proves their existence!

Kieron Kirk
10th Jan 2009, 11:05
Enter the registration details into G-INFO, will give names of owner, date of registration and cancellation.

GINFO Database Search | Aircraft Register | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1)

Ciarain.

tornadoken
10th Jan 2009, 11:08
False. R.A.Short Ltd, Thruxton (nothing to do with Short Bros.Sydenham) bought 6 ex-RAF P.R.16s, had 3 overhauled at Hurn and sold to Israel A.F, 1957, legitimately (G-AOCJ/M/N). 3, denuded for parts and never overhauled, stayed at Thruxton after demise of R.A.S, burnt 10/60 (NS639/G-AOCI, NS753/G-AOCK, RG173/G-AOCL).

virgo
10th Jan 2009, 13:10
Knew someone would have the answer - must say I prefer the much more dramatic story of questionable aircraft, illegal flights, fighter interception and forced landings.
(I'll go into print one day on how I snatched a re-possessed 747 out of Kazakhstan and flew it to an airfield in Florida - the first 1000nm and last 500 were very interesting !)

GrumpyOldFart
11th Jan 2009, 20:35
I'll go into print one day

Oooh! Make it soon, please? Sounds fascinating!