PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air/Bahrein information

al9000
10th Jan 2009, 08:31
Hello people
Do you know the cost of life (rent fleet, social life, food etc..) and normal life in Bharein.(I have family)
Question for people thet corrently working in GA, do you know the avarage flyhours x months and how they made the roster?

ShirleyNot
10th Jan 2009, 10:36
Rent: semi expensive 600-1000BD (1600-2600USD) for apartments/villas etc. Company does give a married allowance of 650BD.

Social life: Good, Bahrain can be a good place for singles and families.

Food: Fairly expensive if you are buying imported goods from the bigger supermarkets but not extortionate (unless its pork), but local produce is cheap.

Average flying hours(A320): about average 60/month is what ive done in 3 years.

Rostering: Absolutly terrible, the worst ive seen in an airline. Senseless waste of peoples time. 8 days off a month scattered anywhere in your roster, night flights followed by min rest then another night flight, then an early start. No thought put into it, just 'is it legal' attitude. You dont do that many hours a month but end up knackered due to the irregular patterns provided by the moronic planners, who are under pressure from a commercial department trying to get blood from a stone.

Pixie Queen
10th Jan 2009, 16:10
I've read this several different places. It's sad that it has to be that way. You know........There are very simple computer programs that would take the "human" element out of such a critical part of Flight Ops.

40&80
11th Jan 2009, 21:43
The facts are...
Gf tried to use the BA pilot and Cabin crew computer years ago and it told them to hire 12 more crews to make the L1011 roster work legally.
GF has since 1975 been dependent on crews extending good will,working on rest day,working on days off, and selling their leave.
Sadly "battle field" emergency rostering at GF has nearly always been the way things are done as it is thought to save GF money.
It does however cause a lot of premature mortality amongst crews if done over several years.

Pixie Queen
12th Jan 2009, 03:00
Ahhhhh 40&80, you speak of the decades old Airline Management
Mantra/tradition of spend next to nothing now so as to spend twice as much later. :ugh:

al9000
12th Jan 2009, 09:00
Thanks for the information....looks like not to be a good company!Isn't it?

Desert Diner
12th Jan 2009, 11:35
Sadly "battle field" emergency rostering at GF has nearly always been the way things are done as it is thought to save GF money.

It does however cause a lot of premature mortality amongst crews if done over several years.

I would argue that the relatively high crew turnover rate is the real driving force behind this viscious circle.

For an old airline that has not really experienced any real growth for a long time and an island with a good social life, the last thing one would expect would be crew shortages.

ironbutt57
12th Jan 2009, 11:46
Crew shortages are being attended to, making up for lost time at a frantic pace..turnover (wouldn't call it "high") due to nationalities headed home to their own country's airline, or a few leaving to pursue what they percieve to be better opportunities..all airlines here have an attrition rate..not sure how they all compare..Bahrain is an easy place to live..if it's the glitzy glamour you desire then it's easy to travel elsewhere for the weekend then return home to the relatively easy lifestyle here, without dealing with the other issues elsewhere on a daily basis..never heard a peep from the office regarding the times I have refused an airplane I thought to be unsuitable for the assigned mission...the cabin amenities are in some cases a disaster and little improvement has been seen..guess the fleet replacements will sort that issue out...all in all a good place to work...

millerscourt
12th Jan 2009, 13:41
ib57 Any more tattoos to report?

ironbutt57
12th Jan 2009, 14:13
Nawww...quit drinking in Manila..:ok:

jet-z
14th Jan 2009, 20:33
I have just filled in the application as non-rated (jet) FO. Does anybody know if GF is hireing non airbus rated pilots at the moment. Or do they have enough rated to choose from?