PDA

View Full Version : Appenticeships! (Yes another thread on this subject, sorry!)

Lewy-
9th Jan 2009, 21:59
Well, my two main passions in life. One being aviation. The other being engineering and technical stuff. Combine the two, and you get my perfect career.

I've been looking for apprenticeships in Heavy Goods Vehicle engineering, but have recently questioned myself as to why im not looking harder for aviation replated ones.
But since i have been looking, i havent had much luck, even though there does seem to be a good amount of advice out there!

My main problem is my location. I live in Ipswich in Suffolk, nearest commercial Airport being Norwich, with some engineering companies based in Essex.
And im not too keen on re-locating at my age of 18 and with no financial backing to do so.
I can handle a commute to Norwich airport at most for example.

Overall...If anyone has any advice on anywhere that currently -are- offering apprenticeships for aircraft engineers/techs, i would be incredibly greaful for any information and knowledge you could spare my way.

And not forgetting...while i may have good practical skills and some technical knowledge though time spent at college and self study...i have no formal engineering qualifications, and a poor maths and english grade, despite the fact i have proven myself to be able to work with maths and English in a practical situation to the minimum required level.

Thankyou all in advance for any help!!

Cheers,

Lewis!

mike172
9th Jan 2009, 23:47
You could try Marshalls at Cambridge.

cessna24
10th Jan 2009, 09:58
Lufthansa was advertising in Flight International I believe for Norwich. I would suggest buying Flight International magazine as they often advertise or at least companys advertise for engineers and that way you could get some email addresses and write in. But Im afraid that sometimes you have to go out your way to get your way. I travel 2hr a day when on shift and I love my job so im quite happy to do it.
If you do get an apprenticeship offer, take it. You might have to relocate or travel but it will only be for a few years and when you have finished your apprenticeship you can work nearer to home.

C24

boeing_eng
10th Jan 2009, 12:04
Be realistic with your expectations.......Your current location will give you a limited chance of an apprenticeship.

By being prepared to look at other locations you will find many more opportunities will open up. You many find that some companies will be prepared to assist with digs and it’s important to get the best possible start in this career. An apprenticeship with an established airline for instance will set you up for life (and give you the much important hands-on experience that those who enter via the ab-initio route quite often struggle to get)

planecrazy.eu
10th Jan 2009, 13:11
What more could you want living near Norwich? KLM run there scheme from there, and there is also the Aviation Acadamy at Norwich College.

The college offer halls, and with the student loan you'll be getting, or the apprenctice salay depending on scheme, you'll be able to afford a bedsit.

Or just commute.

I have heard and read some good stuff about the acadamy there, so give it a shot.

faz1989
10th Jan 2009, 13:19
Try KLM UK Engineering at Norwich Airport. They offer both an apprenticeship and a foundation degree which includes the B1 modules. The website is KLM uk Engineering Ltd (http://www.klmukengineering.co.uk/content/Emp-Careers.asp).
Good luck.

Don't look as travelling a long distance is a bad thing. I' am still a student and have to travel to college by train four times a week. It takes me 1 hour (on a good day) and I have to get 3 different trains. But when I have complete all my EASA modules and receive my licence it will be well worth it. :ok:

Lewy-
10th Jan 2009, 22:01
Thanks for the KLM link Faz1989 Thats quite a good breakthrough for me!

ericferret
11th Jan 2009, 10:10
Bristows at Norwich, CHC at Yarmouth and Bond moving into Norwich all have training schemes.