PDA

View Full Version : 10 year driving licence renewal (yet more tax)?

ShyTorque
9th Jan 2009, 21:30
Anyone else (UK) received a 10 year photocard driving licence renewal demand?

Ridiculous and yet another stealth tax via DVLA, imo! :mad:

Whirlygig
9th Jan 2009, 21:38
Well, if everyone had to retake a driving test at the same time, it mighn't be such a bad thing :}

Cheers

Whirls

Beatriz Fontana
9th Jan 2009, 21:44
Hardly a stealth tax - the government announced they were going to do this when the photo licences first came in. Nowt new, we've just forgotten.

Although 17.50 to update one's mugshot is a bit steep.

ShyTorque
9th Jan 2009, 22:11
Well, if everyone had to retake a driving test at the same time, it mighn't be such a bad thing

Whirls, I agree but the DVLA wouldn't cope and most of us would no doubt fail, causing a revolt.

Beatriz, that doesn't make it any easier.
Especially as I've only just got it back from paying for some expired points to be removed. Sod it. :}
Edit: It was stealthy, in fact. There was no notification about a ten year renewal until I'd already bought the new licence and they sent me a booklet with it.

Stupid thing is, the DVLA claim it's only to keep the photo up to date. However, there is no check that the applicant has actually sent in a more up to date photo. The replacement photo doesn't have to be countersigned or verified, it actually says that on the form! I can presumably get away with sending one of the same batch from ten years ago, or one from twenty years ago, or perhaps one of Mickey Mouse.

If I had kept my old non-photo licence, I would not have to renew it until I'm 70 years old. Somebody convince me this isn't just a DVLA job creation & stealth tax exercise?

What are the so-called "benefits" I receive from having a photocard licence? The "benefits" DVLA claim I would lose if my photo isn't updated? :confused:

spekesoftly
9th Jan 2009, 22:12
I still have an old style paper licence valid until aged 70. Thereafter renewal is foc.:p

Keef
9th Jan 2009, 22:20
I've got an old paper-only one, too, with some extremely "vintage" points on it.

When I get to 70, I'll weigh the options. Till then, the paper one will do fine.
Now, if the placcy piccy one were the ONLY licence I had to carry (like my FAA PPL), I'd think it's a good idea. But needing both is daft.

Whirlygig
9th Jan 2009, 22:25
most of us would no doubt fail, causing a revolt.
Oi mush - what's with the "us"? :} I'm sure you're a very good driver and, given I get free advanced driving lessons every month or so, I would hope I'd pass :p

When I had mine stolen last year, it cost 17.50 to replace - thankfully, I won't have to renew it for 7 years and they did, very kindly, remove my expired points at the same. After that, any points I may get can stay on my licence for that cost :ok:

I would classify it as a stealth tax since I do not believe that the fee is equal to the cost of the renewed licence. Therefore, the profit made, like our Road Fund Licence, just goes into Government coffers.

Cheers

Whirls

spekesoftly
9th Jan 2009, 22:28
When I get to 70, I'll weigh the options. I don't think there is an option. If I understand correctly, DVLA only issue photocard driving licences?

ShyTorque
9th Jan 2009, 22:30
Keef, unfortunately you won't have an option for a new paper licence at 70. You will be issued with a photocard replacement.

When you do send the present one away, make sure you take a photocopy first. I know of a number of cases where a driving entitlement group has been removed (motorcycles). It's almost impossible to get it back because apparently DVLA do not keep a proper record.

Loose rivets
9th Jan 2009, 22:31
I still have an old style paper licence valid until aged 70. Thereafter renewal is foc.

Are all renewals FOC? I mean, can I renew my plastic one (that I have now)free next year when I reach 70?

ShyTorque
9th Jan 2009, 22:42
Oi mush - what's with the "us"? I'm sure you're a very good driver and, given I get free advanced driving lessons every month or so, I would hope I'd pass

Having been driving almost every day since 1972 and passed both car and bike tests first time out, I'd hope so too, but many of us here took our driving test some years ago. Having helped teach three sons to drive and get them through their tests in the not-too-distant past, I've had some more recent involvement in the theory and risk assessment tests. I've seen how it's not difficult per se, but different things are expected from candidates these days. Unless you know these "gotchas" you may well fail to meet the modern standard. How often does the average motorist re-read the Highway code once the test is passed? How many even have an up to date copy in the house? I do, it's on my bedside shelf :8

spekesoftly
9th Jan 2009, 22:53
Rivets - Also worth noting that after age 70 the entitlements to things like C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E are normally removed from people who haven't passed the extra new tests post 1997. You can ask to retain them if your renewal application is accompanied by a satisfactory D4 medical report.

chiglet
9th Jan 2009, 23:28
ST,
Yep seen it, done it, had to pass my bike test [@150] again :ugh:

Went to the bank the other day, to draw out a "large" sum of money. ID please, said the 40+ [age] lady behind the counter. Gave her my "Paper" licence....
"Oh, it's not a photo one, then?"....
me, "No, I'm a Luddite"
"What's one of them, then?"
Five mins later.........:mad:

Dushan
10th Jan 2009, 03:25
$75 every two years...

Loose rivets
10th Jan 2009, 06:12
No fee is needed with this application.

Goody! Thanks.

things like C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E are normally removed from people

Kin'ell, is it painful? Erm, what are they by the way? One would be mightily miffed if I couldn't ride one of these again.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2017/2080276539_d0706d64fe.jpg?v=0

Scumbag O'Riley
10th Jan 2009, 06:47
Hardly a stealth tax - the government announced they were going to do this when the photo licences first came in. Nowt new, we've just forgotten.Well, when I got my licence I was told by the government that I'd give them a fiver and that would be all I'd ever pay. It was for life.

A fiver was a lot of beer back then.

So these new charges are new, and I haven't forgotten the original deal, though I suspect you are too young to do so yourself :E

ShyTorque
10th Jan 2009, 08:50
Suppose it depends on your interpretation of "stealth tax". My definition is that it's a tax disguised as "not a tax". The fact that they told us we were liable to pay doesn't change that definition. :(

UniFoxOs
10th Jan 2009, 09:13
ST said - Stupid thing is, the DVLA claim it's only to keep the photo up to date. However, there is no check that the applicant has actually sent in a more up to date photo. The replacement photo doesn't have to be countersigned or verified, it actually says that on the form! I can presumably get away with sending one of the same batch from ten years ago, or one from twenty years ago, or perhaps one of Mickey Mouse.

Hope so, but maybe not. Photo booths invariably do 4 mugshots, many ID documents only need 2. Result is I keep the extra 2 for future use. Got caught out, though, last time I renewed my passport, got the application returned on the grounds that the photos I had supplied were the same ones I'd used 10 years previously!! However I imagine the DVLA are not so on the ball!

UFO

ChrisVJ
10th Jan 2009, 09:15
Same thing with new PPL licenses here. Transport Canada said that the licenses had to be renewed and updated to comply with some international standard for licenses. First time free but then at huge cost every five years. Just another tax.

ShyTorque
10th Jan 2009, 10:11
Hope so, but maybe not. Photo booths invariably do 4 mugshots, many ID documents only need 2. Result is I keep the extra 2 for future use. Got caught out, though, last time I renewed my passport, got the application returned on the grounds that the photos I had supplied were the same ones I'd used 10 years previously!! However I imagine the DVLA are not so on the ball!

Best I send the more flattering photo from twenty years ago then, just in case someone at DVLA is awake. :ok:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/8_ugly_people.jpg

SyllogismCheck
10th Jan 2009, 10:51
There are ways to avoid the charges...

If you have expired points, rather than pay to have them removed, simply send your licence off for an address change to a friend or relative's. It will arrive less all expired points. Then send it off again to change it back to your own address. Total cost, 2 minutes spent filling in the address change box on the back of the licence and two postage stamps.

I've not looked into it, but the address change process may well have a photo renewal option possible at the same time if it's due soon. If so, a process similar to that above could be used to renew the photo without charge.

I don't like being screwed by the system so find ways to avoid it where possible. :ok:

Oh yes, and when you send it for the address change, you are of course moving to the friend/relatives address, but then change your plans. :rolleyes:

Keef
10th Jan 2009, 10:54
Sadly, that doesn't work.

Last address change I did, it came back with the new address and the old long-expired points. You have to pay to have them taken off again (like you have to pay to have them put on).

SyllogismCheck
10th Jan 2009, 10:58
Thats's strange, Keef. It worked for me. In fact, it even mentions it in the DVLA's leaflet that comes with the renewal forms from the Post Office. Ludicrously enough, now I think about it, it was that very literature which led me to giving it a go. Good advice it proved to be too.

Can't explain why it didn't work for you unless the system has changed since one of us tried it.

Yep, here you go. From DVLA leaflet D100 (my bolding)...

Penalty points
Points stay on a licence for the following periods.
11 years from the date of being convicted of the
following offences.
Driving while under the influence of drink or
drugs, including causing death by careless
driving while under the influence of drink or
drugs (shown on the licence as DR10, DR20,
DR30, DR80, CD40, CD50, and CD60).
Causing death by careless driving then failing
or refusing to take a breath, blood or urine
test (shown on the licence as CD70).
Four years from the date of being convicted
of reckless or dangerous driving, and offences
resulting in a driving disqualification (shown on
the licence as DD40, DD60 and DD80).
Four years from the date of the offence in all
other cases.
We will automatically remove out-of-date penalty
points if you change your licence for any reason.

CUNIM
10th Jan 2009, 13:01
Of course you can always "lose" your licence and get it replaced:E

ShyTorque
10th Jan 2009, 13:03
But that still costs you.

frostbite
10th Jan 2009, 13:11
That's odd, Keef.

I did a change of address in the late 70s and regained my clean licence in the process.

Keef
10th Jan 2009, 14:11
Curious!
I reckon they were trying to remind me of my sinful nature.

Out Of Trim
10th Jan 2009, 15:08
I read yesterday, whilst renewing my Road Tax disk on-line. That you can now apply for a new photo card type Driving Licence on-line.

If you recently got a new Passport or ID card, they can possibly transfer the photo image electronically from their records thus saving you having to send in a new mug shot with the paper renewal forms.

Sounds good to me - apart from the 17.50 fee

Yet another ppruner with the old green paper Driving Licence for 5.00 :ok:

ShyTorque
16th Mar 2009, 14:55
Received my "new" photo licence recently.

Seems they don't do a check of the photo, as suspected..........

I'm possibly now the only Jack Russell Terrier with a UK driving licence. :E

Krystal n chips
16th Mar 2009, 18:39
I'm possibly now the only Jack Russell Terrier with a UK driving licence.

With all the carping you've done, and you clearly don't know your plaice here, it's no surprise they can't recognise you for being a shark when it comes to floundering around with regard to photographs.

Sorry, your piscine addiction was too tempting........;):E

ShyTorque
16th Mar 2009, 20:30
I shad have known..... now I'm a dogfish. :p

goatface
16th Mar 2009, 21:44
I wouldn't mind so much if the card did what it was supposed to do and be able to retain the personal data via the barcode on it, then we wouldn't need the accompanying paperwork that comes with it.
Jeez, if Tesco (and every other retail organisation) can do it with clubcards and credit cards, keeping up to date with our every move and purchase, why can't the DVLA?:ugh:

hellsbrink
16th Mar 2009, 22:35
That would mean the police would need barcode scanners and that sort of technoogy would confuse half of them

JEMAVION
17th Mar 2009, 09:15
Mine just ewxpired at age 70. Anyone know what I have to do to renew it? Just read a car no.plate from 30 yards is it? And does that give me another 10 years. Anyway, it's a long way to come!

BabyBear
17th Mar 2009, 09:34
Don't know about Asia, but in the UK the procedure is to self certify by submitting standard form to DVLA, I believe.

Low Flier
17th Mar 2009, 14:39
I have a complication which I'd like some advice about.

I live in Scotland, where the legal system holds that your legal name is quite simply the name by which you are known. My old (green) driving licence has the truncated form of my name, eg Bob Scott instead of the full form, eg John Robert Scott. That short version is on nearly all my documentation, such a banking stuff and flying licences (UK; US & Lithuanian).

My problem is that my driving licence still shows my old address, while my car registration shows my new address. I still own the old unoccupied address and visit it occasionally to check mail. Technically I should have notified my new address with the DVLA within 6 months of the new address becoming my main residence.

Problem is that my passport shows the long form of my name. It's just about the only document which does. Unfortunately my passport is the only up-to-date form of official photo ID that I have.

Am I right is believing that to obtain a newfangled photo type licence I will need to provide my passport as proof of ID? If so, will they insist that my new driving licence show the mostly incorrect full form of my name? Or will they let me continue to use the short form which they have on my licence and car records.

I'd much prefer to continue with the old licence until my 70th, but sooner or later a routine traffic cop stop/check is going to show the anomaly of the two addresses and no doubt there'll a 'tax' levied as a result.

ShyTorque
17th Mar 2009, 20:45
I think it's explained here:

Change of name and address on your driving licence : Directgov - Motoring (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022088)