PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Dress Sense

sisemen
9th Jan 2009, 12:27
Delicate question.....en route to the UK for our 4 yearly catch up with family and friends, we intend stopping off in Dubai for a couple of days. However, the memsahib is somewhat concerned about the dress code. One presumes that a full woollen blanket covering everything except the toes can be dispensed with but the G string swimmers (with Brazilian) is probably out - correct??

Just what is acceptable day and evening wear for a western woman in them there parts??

Scrubbed
9th Jan 2009, 12:39
The problem with wearing a G string is she might suffer from a little "shrinkage" at the moment.

Wear something warm. If she walks around in a mini with cleav on display, she will be looked down upon by the locals and will feature in the erotic fanasties of countless indian and paki-stani workers that night in the labour camp toilets but she will not be stoned or hung on a meathook.

Bring loads of cash.

sitigeltfel
9th Jan 2009, 12:40
Stick the words Dubai, Dress and Code into Google and you will get a whole list of suggestions.

The main ones seem to be, keep the arms covered and skirt hems at least to the knee in public. The beaches are more liberal and my wife has had no problem wearing a bikini there.

I have found they are mostly tolerant but it would only take one fundamentalist to spoil your day.

McDoo
9th Jan 2009, 12:44
An oxymoron if ever I heard one:ok:

Blacksheep
9th Jan 2009, 12:50
Reminds me of the Crocodile Beach incident in Brunei. Lufthansa staff seconded to the Royal Flight were sunbathing on Crocodile beach. There's a rustling in the bushes as locals came perving - binoculars at twenty paces. Chief Hosty asks Klaus the Engineer to get rid of them. Klaus rips off his swimming trunks and with a roar charges into the bushes, dong in hand. Local pervs flee in all directions! :ok:

McDoo
9th Jan 2009, 12:52
In Dubai I think he might have been welcomed whole heartedly:}

sisemen
9th Jan 2009, 13:00
Bit like landing at Gan in the dead of night Blacksheep with a VC10 load of Navy wives going out to Singapore to meet husbands on docked ship.......eyes - hundreds of 'em - behind every bush at the Air Terminal. :}

Thanks for the advice so far :ok:

airship
9th Jan 2009, 13:02
Why (or how, more exactly) are reasonably intelligent human-beings persuaded to visit or even merely transit these countries whose often insidious laws and customs were 'set in stone' many centuries ago? :confused: There are many other countries with warm waters and sandy beaches. If it's the cheap shopping experience you want, beware. By the time you add the VAT, import duties and excess baggage charges to the bargain prices...?! If it's merely wanting to view at first-hand the world's tallest skyscraper, an 8 star hotel or whatever, well, just don't flaunt it OK (addressed at both sides)...?! :rolleyes::uhoh:

sisemen
9th Jan 2009, 13:05
In our case airship it's 'cos I can't be arsed again with the 21 hour flight time from Perth to London without a break and I've done Singers and Honkers. And in any case I would like to show the new memsahib where I was in 1967 and also have a look at the changes since 67 and when I was last there on a MOD staff visit in 1990.

Blacksheep
9th Jan 2009, 13:07
hundreds of 'em - behind every bush at the Air Terminal.Ah, the Blue Spitoon. Then there were all those liberated knicker trophies nailed to the rafters in the Marine Bar. :ooh:

sisemen
9th Jan 2009, 13:18
Apparently it was a good sport to see if you could 'nail' a female passenger during the one hour the pax took between getting to the terminal and being bussed back to the aircraft.

The air stewardesses (for such they were called) could take a bit more time with their 'regulars' whilst awaiting the next slip aircraft.

airship
9th Jan 2009, 13:18
sisemen, why are you worrying so much about G-string bikinis? IMHO, almost any female over the age of 30 should immediately be arrested for transgressing some basic law of common decency or another, wherever that may be on the planet when caught under these circumstances. If it's the religious police in places like the UAE that have the unfortunate task of putting matters right, well then, I'd whole-heartedly congratulate them on a job well-done... :E

sisemen
9th Jan 2009, 13:21
Merely the 2 extremes - wanted to know where the happy medium was

(probably on a stage in Manchester conducting seances - yes I know)

Roger Sofarover
9th Jan 2009, 17:34
Sisemen

In Dubai almost all 'western dress' is tolerated. However, I have (and my partner) always been an advocate of 'try not to offend'. Mrs Sisemen could wear shorts and a low cut t shirt down town and be ok, but she will feel uncomfortable and will get some disapproving glances, nothing else. The best clothes for a western woman is (I am told) a nice lightweight longish skirt and top that is not to low. The advantage of the longish skirt is that it has quite a substantial 'breeze' effect and gets the wind to places a wind cannot get when you wear short skirts or shorts!!! ( that is why in hot climates in the ME, arabic women actually prefer to wear the long light black thing (they may only have french undies on underneath). I also feel uncomfortable wearing shorts down town. Have a great time, and don't take her to the gold souk. Go to Karama, where everything is fake, dead cheap and generally if you shop around, you can't tell the difference between real or not.

Beatriz Fontana
9th Jan 2009, 20:36
sisemen,

I regularly travel to Middle Eastern parts and Dubai. I can safely say that "modest" is the dresscode for the girls otherwise the girls do attract unwanted attention. So don't show any flesh above the mid forearm or below the lower calf. Cleavage is a no go. I always wear a small scarf around my neck to be sure I'm showing no flesh at all neck-down, and it doubles as a handy way to keep the midday sun off my head.

Yes, bikinis are OK on the beach, and I'd draw the line at naked bathing even after dark... :}

Left Coaster
10th Jan 2009, 04:22
"Singers and Honkers?" I say...jolly good eh what?

jackrowell
10th Jan 2009, 08:50
The answers to you query have been good but I wonder why your bride wants to know where the fence is? I'm an old traditionalist and I often wonder why people want to find out how far they can can go before they're immoral or illegal - or smelly. Travelling within the speed limitrs can be O.K.

sisemen
10th Jan 2009, 14:13
At what point did I mention that my wife wanted to push the boundaries?

I asked what the rules were in order not to cause offence. :*

viktor inox
11th Jan 2009, 16:33
Remarkable to see how Westerners worry about adhering to local customs and dress codes, whereas we can't see much of the reverse......

hellsbrink
11th Jan 2009, 21:04
Sorry, can you try and stop shouting so much?

The OP asked what was appropriate for the local custom, so be grateful that someone has the decency to think of things like that.

Unlike some other people, of all races

Beatriz Fontana
11th Jan 2009, 21:31
I did mean above the calf, sorry about that. Well spotted, Basil :ok:

con-pilot
12th Jan 2009, 00:14
Are you all talking about the same Dubai I have gone to? :confused:

I didn't see that Western women dress much different than they do in Oklahoma.

(Course that may say more about Oklahoma than Dubai. :uhoh:)

goin'flyin
12th Jan 2009, 00:22
Having flown on EK my last trip to Europe, with stop over in Dubai, i would never go back there again.:yuk::yuk:

Go via Singers (even if you've been there before), if for no other reason than you won't have to stand in a room with 3000 people at midnight waiting to get thru customs :ugh:. And you won't have to stress about dress reg's

con-pilot
12th Jan 2009, 00:34
you won't have to stand in a room with 3000 people at midnight waiting to get thru customs

About that I wouldn't know, I've never gone to Dubai on the airlines. Always had a good time there.

Go via Singers

'Singers', would that be Singapore?

Blacksheep
12th Jan 2009, 08:42
As the saying goes in the Sultanate - "In Singapore, girls have legs..."

SilveR5
12th Jan 2009, 10:22
Remarkable to see how Westerners worry about adhering to local customs and dress codes, whereas we can't see much of the reverse......

you must be kidding!!

Have you ever been to Dubai?? I bet you haven't!!

People out there can just do whatever they wish...personal freedom is more than enough.

Couple months ago, there was the news about a couple of drunk European expats in Dubai were "publicly having sex in the street" after midnight and got caught up by patrolling police!!!
Is that what you call worrying about local customs?!

cockney steve
12th Jan 2009, 11:54
Ah, But, SilveR5,

It was also reported that they were not, in fact,copulating.

That they were somewhat amorously entwined, was not disputed. Also, IIRC, they were not actually naked.

As usual, a sensational story ,blown up, out of the different standards of morality and decency deemed acceptable in public, between East and West.

SilveR5
12th Jan 2009, 13:39
My friend, even the situation of being "amorously entwined in public" is absolutely unaccepted in the mideast. And it is considered as a violation of general civilian laws and orders.

Although it is a false idea, there is a perceived image about the west that they really don't mind doing it anywhere! or anything at any time or any place..!! I know it's not true...so the least I could do is not comment on the matter!
In the mideast, people consider any sort of nudity in the public as unaccepted sinful behaviour. I can't judge that when I'm in the streets of Paris or London. And I can't tell my people to break the rule when they go abroad.

So here we go my friend...This is why I come to say that the misleading statements or false claims that many people make are certainly present on both sides...this is too much unfair and deceptive.
I believe that one person should morally do not spread false claims between people, taking advantage of the unknowing of people and the illiteracy about the other.

Cheers