PDA

View Full Version : we need to stop flying...

Flying Binghi
9th Jan 2009, 10:53
Methinks Japan should sink this clown -

Apparently, saving the whales is more important than saving 5.5 billion people.Paul Watson, founder and president of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and famous for militant intervention to stop whalers, now warns mankind is “acting like a virus” and is harming Mother Earth.

...Watson essentially called for humans to return to primitive lifestyles. “We need to stop flying, stop driving cars, and jetting around on marine recreational vehicles. The Mennonites survive without cars and so can the rest of us.”

Eco-Extremist Wants World Population to Drop below 1 Billion (http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2007/20070506180903.aspx)

...long range strike aircraft perhaps :E

Ancient Mariner
9th Jan 2009, 11:28
Could "Captain" P. Watson please start the project and report back in, say 50 years time?
Thank you.
Per

radeng
9th Jan 2009, 11:41
Like a stopped clock, he's not entirely wrong, in that over population is far more of a potential menace than anything else.

Still, he could start the process by taking some rope and a suitably high tree.....

Lon More
9th Jan 2009, 11:44
or castrate himself?

Gnirren
9th Jan 2009, 11:58
I've often wondered when the media reports growth in a country as "only" so and so many % as if it's a bad thing. The follow-up question seems to be, how much are we meant to grow before it's enough on a finite planet? Everyone seem to be in heart-warming agreement that our economies need growth to ensure quality of life, but growth for how long exactly?

Having said that, I won't be moving into any cave anytime soon. Mr Watson is more than welcome to.

bnt
9th Jan 2009, 12:06
Whenever I see something like this, I always end up thinking something like the following: the Earth doesn't need saving. The Earth will be just fine, in time, in spite of anything we could do to it. The current natural diversity of wildlife evolved over hundreds of millions of years, and the Earth has billions of years left, before the Sun blows up and incinerates it. The Earth will be just fine. Nature will bounce back. It's the human race that's screwed, and we'll have the pleasure of knowing that we did it to ourselves, since there's no-one else to blame. :hmm:

Dushan
9th Jan 2009, 12:11
“We need to radically and intelligently reduce human populations to fewer than one billion.”

I know where he can start

Scumbag O'Riley
9th Jan 2009, 12:19
Maybe bnt, but there is the Runaway Greenhouse Effect which isn't really well understood as it could be applied to the Earth. Perhaps the Earth could become like Venus and not have time to fix itself.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
9th Jan 2009, 12:31
I expect the Pope will believe overpopulation is the point where everyone is starving.

Plant more rubber trees!

MagnusP
9th Jan 2009, 16:21
Maybe bnt, but there is the Runaway Greenhouse Effect which isn't really well understood as it could be applied to the Earth. Perhaps the Earth could become like Venus and not have time to fix itself

Nah; BNT is right. We may make the place uninhabitable by our actions, but it'll still be orbiting good old Sol long after we've shuffled off.

ehwatezedoing
10th Jan 2009, 02:40
This eco-extremist Japanese shouldn't worry too much about over population.

Human extinction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_extinction)

Best scenario, nature will do its job and create (with our own help) a nice pandemic.

Fruity Tones
10th Jan 2009, 23:32
I understand that Venusians, shy creatures who inhabit shallow pools of molten metal, are quite happy with their environment.

They consider that life on the next planet out is highly improbable, given its highly corrosive oxygen-rich but tenuous atmosphere.

birrddog
11th Jan 2009, 00:12
GobonaStick, have you not seen how contentious the Darwin thread has become? :}

poss
11th Jan 2009, 00:26
If the scum knew what contraception was then perhaps the Earth wouldn't be so overly populated.

BlueWolf
11th Jan 2009, 10:33
Damned whales need to learn to look after themselves. I mean why should it be my responsibility to protect them if they can't be bothered to evolve, grow some legs, sprout opposable thumbs, and develop a few defensive weapons? Cetaceans ARE supposed to be intelligent creatures, aren't they? All that larking about in the water, eating fish and grazing on plankton, obviously hasn't done them any good. Apathetic bloody species, I've no sympathy. :*

“We need to radically and intelligently reduce human populations to fewer than one billion.”

...this is a surprisingly commonly expressed sentiment within 'Green' (read: Red) movements the world over. Naturally, the proposed reduction will not apply to valuable and enlightened persons such as themselves.

Who they imagine will do all the work, after all the parasitic lesser beings have been eliminated, I have yet to see their commentary on.

And Earth is not overpopulated. Some of the smaller islands and coastal fringes are a tad crowded, to be sure, but the vast bulk of the earth's landmasses are uninhabited.

Overpopulation is just another lie which has come to be believed because it has been repeated so often.

ArthurR
11th Jan 2009, 11:41
Bluewolf you quote "
...this is a surprisingly commonly expressed sentiment within 'Green' (read: Red) movements the world over. Naturally, the proposed reduction will not apply to valuable and enlightened persons such as themselves."

Of course they don't include themselves in that. Who would be around to guide the human race afterwards. :yuk:

Blues&twos
11th Jan 2009, 12:29
I don't imagine that saving the whales will be much of a concern to many, once people start to be radically and intelligently reduced.

Dushan
11th Jan 2009, 15:41
Earth population: 6.7 billion
Earth land area: 148.3 million sqkm

That's about a 47 metre x 47 metre space per person.

The math, here is a bit off...

148 million km sq = 148 trillion square meters

148,000,000,000,000 / 6,700,000,000 = 22,089 square meters or 150m x 150m.

While that still does not sound like a lot, imagine how much less it is in big cities, and we still manage quite well...

RJM
11th Jan 2009, 15:53
150m x 150m is 2.25ha, or about 5 acres.

More than enough to live on, even allowing for roads. The lucky people who get, say, the upper slopes of Everest to live on will have even more land due to cadastral measurements being made 'on the flat'.

airfoilmod
11th Jan 2009, 16:12
When did Chicken Little evolve into Chicken Grandiose Megalomaniac?

CUNIM
11th Jan 2009, 16:35
When the sky fell on her head.

birrddog
16th Jan 2009, 18:35
Australia's answer to Japanese whaling

YouTube - Most Racist Australian Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbRoCFlNfkQ&NR=1)

Flying Binghi
23rd Jan 2009, 12:01
HOBART, Australia - Australia's leader rebuffed a conservation group's offer to stop harassing Japanese whalers if Canberra takes legal action against them, saying Thursday he will instead rely on diplomacy to halt the hunt.

Australia: diplomacy, not courts to stop whaling (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2009-01/22/content_7421734.htm)