PDA

View Full Version : East african aviation

highfly772000
9th Jan 2009, 02:24
Hi guys.
I'm interested in the state of play (management and flying ops) at the smaller airlines especially in Kenya.
If anyone has info on airlines like Fly540, Eagle Aviation, Air Kenya) etc..
How are they coping with the world financial crisis?
Whats the job situation for crews with these companies?
Are people getting the sack or cutting pay?
Are management / directors taking personal pay cuts?
Are management "up there" doing the best they can or are they behaving like scum bags?

9-er
12th Jan 2009, 04:17
Hello,

I can give you some basic info on some of the Kenyan companies. Fly540 seems to be doing okay, it just added some new routes to its network and has become quite popular with Kenyan travellers. They are expecting some brand-new ATR72's shortly, though many of these are also earmarked for their Angolan operation. Eagle does not exist anymore, it evolved into East African Safari Express and Jetlink Express, both of whom are still operating and compete on similar routes, though Jetlink has a larger network. East African operates DC-9's and an F-28 while Jetlink flies an F-28 and 2 CRJ-100's. Both companies are doing okay as well, each fills its own niche. I believe Airkenya is a little smaller than it used to be, but is still the dominant player in the Kenyan tourism market. None of these companies seem unduly affected by the global situation as such, though that could change anytime I'm sure.

Hope this helps.