PDA

View Full Version : becoming an engineer with no a-levels?

aviatordom
8th Jan 2009, 21:07
Hey guys,

First of all, i know this topic should be in the Spotters balcony, but i thought that i would get an answer from an engineer, or from somebody else who can answer my question.

Anyway, i have a very strong passion for aviation and i am seriously considering a career in engineering. Sadly, i'm not gifted with perfect academics, i have always been absolutely trash at Maths.

This means then, that i'm not expected to get a Maths A-level or even a Physics A-level (because it contains alot of maths).

Despite this, would i still be able to become an aircraft engineer/technician or mechanic?

I know that becoming an Airline Pilot is quite a competitive business, how competitive is it to become an aircraft engineer?

Will airlines/maintenance companies be employing engineers by the bucketload, in say 5 years time, when hopefully everything starts to pick up again?

I appreciate any help that you can give me regarding this.

aviatordom

stevef
8th Jan 2009, 22:09
I left school in 1970 without any qualifications and went on to get my CAA engineer's licence. My worst subject at school was maths but I can carry out any calculations pertinent to the job.
If you know your tables and basic arithmetic, that should be sufficient. You'll need some knowledge to mark out metal, determine rivet pitch and use vernier measurement tools. I don't know what the licence exam questions are like nowadays. I think the only one I was asked was 'what's an eighth of an eighth?'
Then again, things might have changed.
I'll be interested to see other viewpoints.

MartinCh
8th Jan 2009, 22:59
Hello.

EDIT: Ignore thing with being mature student. I just saw your age after posting. You've got plenty time. You could even consider apprenticeship after leaving school. Search for some threads.
----------------
Why not? I can't guarantee what you're worth, but why not give it a go?

If you're past your studies for last few years and not keen on modern apprenticeship (about 4 years, varies), you can do FdSc/BSc in aircraft maintenance engineering.

Check out Glamorgan Uni (http://www.glam.ac.uk/courses/41/foundationstudies) and 1yr aerospace foundation studies (north of Cardiff), to help you brush up and improve your maths and subject specific study.
Also, to my knowledge, Kingston Uni (http://www.kingston.ac.uk/aircraft/) do foundation year too. You get A licence upon successful completion. Option to study it at KLM Norwich or City of Bristol College.
Not sure if Newcastle College do aerospace foundation, at least it's not listed on KU website.

You have to assess your own abilities. From my own experience (not with maths of physics, though), it's also hard to study subjects you don't like or have no motivation to learn.

Good thing about these foundation years is that it's not just access course (I'm halfway through so that I have 'fresh' quals), but it'll give you better idea about the study. You don't have to commit to 2 or 3 year study. Since you're probably potential mature applicant (or more than 3 years since leaving school, no A-levels on top), the Unis would ask you for recent A-levels or engineering/science access course.

stevef:
1/8 of 1/8 would be 8 to the power of minus 2 :hmm: (don't think I could do superscripts) or 1/64 etc. Pretty sneaky question if someone's not familiar with fractions.

NutLoose
8th Jan 2009, 23:58
Aviatordom I totally agree with what is said above, there are several ways to getting in and on, one would be an apprentiship some of which are available and the other would be to start with a company and work your way up from there....... It is suprising how learning in a none school environment is, especially when it can have a drastic effect on your wage at the end of the week.......

Folks on here will help you with contacts and links to possible opportunities.

N1 Vibes
9th Jan 2009, 04:37
Aviatordom,

I am also a product of an apprenticeship - mine was with RR engine's but now work for an airline in Hong Kong. Southend Airport has some smaller businesses there that might offer a limited number of apprentice spaces, or consider going with larger companies - BA, KLM Uk, RR, Marshalls (Cambridge), SR Technics (Stansted), etc - another option of course is the RAF, thoguh you have to put up with short hair-cuts and a lot of shouting.

And as other posters have said - search PPrune for 'apprenticeships' - and remember Google is your friend too...

Good Luck,

N1 Vibes

keel beam
9th Jan 2009, 06:53
Aviatordom

In the early '70s I only had CSEs but managed to get an apprenticeship with an airline.

Todays apprenticeships are quite different from my time. For some reason they want people to have higher academic qualifications.

Your passion for aircraft help, but apprenticeships are few and far between.

Enquire at a college that does aviation. Check on the internet.

Don't give up your dream. The job can be very awarding despite all the frustrations you might read of.

I am now a Licenced Engineer travelling the world on behalf of my company, and I enjoy it 99% of the time (the 1% against is when it is bitterly cold in driving wind and rain up to my elbows in Skydrol!)

Check out this site. Aircraft Engineers Bulletin Board - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/index.php) You will get alot of info/help from the contributors there.

aviatordom
9th Jan 2009, 08:32
Thanks for all the help & advice given:ok: I really appreciate it.

Engineering aircraft and keeping them up in the skies must be such a rewarding profession.

I congratulate anybody who does this job or a very big good luck for those who are training to do so.

I'll make a vow to ask any more questions which i may have!

kind regards,

aviatordom

boeing_eng
9th Jan 2009, 09:39
Most employers these days will be looking for GCSE's (not A levels) in Maths (and possibly Physics) prior to acceptance for an Apprenticeship.

These two subjects are now fundamental to this career and in order to become licensed you will need to pass modules in both Maths and Physics. The standard is roughly to GCSE level (see the link below for info)

http://aircraft-license.com/Pdf%20Files/Part66%20Module1.pdf

In addition, a reasonable grasp of Maths is needed to tackle the License electrical Modules (Module 3 etc)

Hope this helps:}

stevef
9th Jan 2009, 09:50
Martin wrote:
[1/8 of 1/8 would be 8 to the power of minus 2 http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/yeees.gif (don't think I could do superscripts) or 1/64 etc. Pretty sneaky question if someone's not familiar with fractions.]

It was easy enough; you multiply to divide. 8 x 8 = 64.
That's another thing to bear in mind: you'll find all manner of fractions in aircraft maintenance: 64ths, 32nds, eighths, quarters, tenths, thousandths and millimetres. :eek:

Lewy-
9th Jan 2009, 21:50
Just like to say...Thanks to everyones replies on this subject, you've all given me hope for becoming an engineer myself with little academic qualifications!!

planecrazy.eu
10th Jan 2009, 13:15
Your 14!

Thinking of failing already is going to doom you for sure.

Look at local colleges.

City and Guilds offer a foundation course in Aircraft Engineering, you need nothing to get on that. Its like 4 GCSE's

There are also advanced and foundation certificates and diplomas in Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace, they are just like A-Levels the advanced ones, and foundation ones like 4 GCSE's.

Once you have A-Level type education in an Aerospace field you'll be far better to make you mind up if you want to fix the things or design them.

Engineering in aviation is vast, research it all and find what suites you.

Engineering in Aviation is also one of the top payers in engineering, with Chemical and Electronic coming a little above.

Take the advice of all above too, vast experience and knowledge.

vs69
10th Jan 2009, 19:07
I didnt have any A levels, only mediocre GCSE's but passed the important ones. Got on an apprenticeship and now hold a full B1 with a couple of types, my maths abilities dont stretch too far beyond brain training on my DS and working out fuel uplifts!
Joking aside and to coin an old cliche, if you are keen and want it bad enough you will get there,although not being a complete dunce and having a love of knowing how things work certainly helps! Best of luck with it and feel free to PM any questions you may have.
Granted now may not look like the best time to be getting into aviation but its a cracking job and even a 5h1t day on the tools is better than a good one sat behind a desk.

keel beam
11th Jan 2009, 16:20
"(if theres a maths equivalent to dyslexia I think I have it :rolleyes:), "

That will be Discalcular (Spelt something like that)

I was good at maths in school but the maths at college, I too found difficult.

I think I also have a bit of Dyslexia, which might account for some (minor) difficulty in understanding some aspects of type training!

With that in mind, I do make an extra effort to make sure what I read is fully understood.

..... make that DYSCALCULA