PDA

View Full Version : Qantas A380

The Real Slim Shady
8th Jan 2009, 16:17
Seen the ad?

Notice the 2 pilots wearing their hats on the flightdeck?

****, sometimes I don't even wear my tie!:D

Tie off take offs are cool :ok::ok::ok:

bigal1941
8th Jan 2009, 19:08
Wasn't de-regure when flying a BOAC Argonaught whilst transitting the Middle East to be in an undress state. Obviously whilst in cruise. Alan

Scrubbed
8th Jan 2009, 19:59
Isn't it spelt de-rigger? :confused: No?

Not to worry, Orac or another googlisationalist will be along soon to help. :ok:

frostbite
8th Jan 2009, 20:00
De rigeur will do nicely.

Noah Zark.
8th Jan 2009, 23:50
Strictly speaking, it's de rigueur. ;)

Peter Fanelli
9th Jan 2009, 00:57
Ya gotta love it when people use posh sounding expressions but can't spell them :ugh:

Ogre
9th Jan 2009, 01:04
Had a senior bod once use a phrase with "paradigm" in it, only he pronounced it "para dig um". He got awfully cross when I couldn't stop giggling, then demanded that I tell him what I understood it to mean. He hot even crosser when I did....

IFTB
9th Jan 2009, 08:27
He hot even crosser

Oh really? What were his buns like? :} :}

;)

BlueWolf
9th Jan 2009, 08:45
One is reminded of an excerpt from Spike Milligan's war biography. Can't recall which episode, and this is all taken from memory;

An officer - a Major, I believe - has decided to educate and enlighten the largely working class troops, by way of nightly lectures on matters refined and/or cultural.

A Sergeant Major is tasked with informing the said enlisted personnel as to the content of the upcoming lecture.

"Tonight, the Major's lecture is on - " (the SM consults his notes) " - Keats, and I don't mind betting that not one of you ignorant bastards knows what a Keat is."

ORAC
9th Jan 2009, 09:09
I think the word bigal1941 is looking for is "deshabille" rather than undress. ;)

603DX
9th Jan 2009, 09:28
At the ancient and authoritarian Grammar school I attended, the rule that "Caps will be worn in town at weekends" was strictly enforced by the prefects (sorry, "Praefecti", yes it was that pretentious).

No joke, when you are 16 and in the early stages of trying to impress girls, and have only just been permitted to transfer from short to long trousers under the same harsh regime. Slippering by prefects with gym shoes, or caning by the Headmaster for repeat "offenders", was quite normal. I suffered the slipper torture, but was cunning enough to avoid the cane. By that twisted logic that seemed fair at the time, we took our revenge by inflicting the same on younger boys when eventually our turn came to be prefects.

So maybe Qantas have some elderly executives who are "old boys" of similarly sadistic Oz schools, motivated by that same urge to force the comparatively young whippersnappers on the flight deck to keep their uniform caps in place, just because they can!

Rossian
9th Jan 2009, 13:51
603DX

You should listen to the rerun of Desert Island Discs on Sunday. The victim described standard punishments in the Foreign Legion viz:
Head shaved
Helmet with no liner clapped on.
Rucksack with lots of rocks and WIRE straps
Boots with no socks and no laces
No clothes

Set off round circuit with SNCO in the middle with his whistle. Each time whistle blew it was either squats or push-ups or crawl over hot sand face down. For two hours!!

EEEH but it never did us any harm did it??

The Ancient Mariner