PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia X - Roofing Contactors

Eastwest Loco
8th Jan 2009, 07:59
Just heard today from 2 non related friends who live North of the Coolangatta runway that there was a recent incident involving what was called wake turbulence damage to a house during an A330-300 departure into the Northerly weather.

They both said that the story was totally squashed and did not make more than an insignificant appearance in the local media (probably so as not to take the shine off the new OOL KUL service) and was put down to the above mentioned factor.

The Cooly runway has been extended fairly recently, but I am sure all operators and Government regulations would ensure that there was a minimum clearance requirement even with one mill on the blink.

Could this be a case of a little disregard for MTOW because of dodgy WX at the destination and not wanting to explain a diversion to management as is allegedly the case with carriers like Lion??

This was apparently the inaugural or close to flight in JUN-JULish 2008, and the damage from removed roof tiles was very quickly addressed and repaired to make the potential questions go away. LCC's acting quickly on compensation is a scary thought.

Does anyone have any further information on this, as the 2 people I spoke to (and one lives very close to the house in question) are bemused by the lack of coverage and the possibility of it happening again.

Best all

EWL

waren9
8th Jan 2009, 08:50
Wake turb caused by a departing aircraft with one mill on the blink is the least of the crews worries.

Obstacle clearance on the other hand is paid very close attention indeed. Especially off 32 at OOL.

Whilst wake turb is very definitely a consideration, its is normally thought of in terms as a danger for aircraft following a departure or behind on an arrival. Not normally to do with ground objects.

Either an aerodrome (and its environs) is certified and suitable for use or its not. Be interesting to know who paid to fix the roof. Air AsiaX or OOL airport?

Eastwest Loco
8th Jan 2009, 09:08
It would indeed, and I will give it a go to find out.

My second point of referecnce before I posted this is a mate originally from here who is a "legend" now in Gold Coast property development.

For those in the know, legend will give away the bloke.

He is in town at the moment for a funeral and I will no doubt see him again at the RSL.

As their was no air return, one can assume that there must have been 2 participating and serviceable turbines, which leaves MTOW, incorrect load and trim notification and erronious power settings to cause the aeroplane to pass over the house low enough for thrust (or the unlikely wake turbulence) so low as to dislodge tiles.

I will give the legend a call in the morning - he will be able to get the details I am sure.

I bet AAX thought this one would go away!

Best regards

EWL

blueloo
8th Jan 2009, 11:15
If indeed it was wake turbulence, could it not be the prevailing weather conditions (maybe a rare 1 off scenario) which caused the wake turbulence to result in the damage.....? (as opposed to MTOWs etc)

(Just a thought.... no idea of distance of house and a/c height.... why not try that web track thingamijig site if possible - probably doesn't go back that far)

captaintunedog777
8th Jan 2009, 12:51
Give the "Legend" a call Loco. I would take anything u read in the media with a grain of salt. Try a/c departing and by coincidence there was wind present maybe even a thunderstorm. As for mentioning Air Asia X. What don't they pay higher enough commisions?

Sunstar320
9th Jan 2009, 02:20
what date did this occur?

Eastwest Loco
9th Jan 2009, 10:10
I am trying to check the date, but am getting dates between NOV 2007 and JUL 2008. Waiting for definitive stuff from those who live there who have gone AWOL for the weekend at the moment. Will advise.

Tunedoggy - they pay NO commission, and I reserve the right to mongrelise just as they have.

Best all

EWL

B772
9th Jan 2009, 11:49
FYI a TG A300-600 was responsible for a roof close to the runway threshold at PNH collapsing !. An investigation considered prevailing weather conditions, aircraft rate of descent, flap and power configuration as contributing causes.

bushy
9th Jan 2009, 14:28
And the moon is made of green cheese.

framer
9th Jan 2009, 20:48
EWLoco, I'm a bit slow so confirm for me that you are suggesting the a/c , for whatever reason, went over the house so low that thrust or vortices ripped tiles off the roof?

Eastwest Loco
10th Jan 2009, 10:30
Framer and Direct

I was informed that this was a departure into Northerly wx, not an arrival.

Northerly departures out of OOL are from memory fairly rare and there is a fair ridge line just before Currumbin whereas there is very little obstruction on a Southerly departure.

Framer - that is how it appears.

Best regards

EWL

overhere
10th Jan 2009, 10:48
Northerly departures out of OOL are from memory fairly rare and there is a fair ridge line just before Currumbin whereas there is very little obstruction on a Southerly departure.

I fly in and out of YBCG on very regular occasions and can't support that statement - on the last few take-offs I've done all have been on 32 - the into wind runway is used - like most other airports there's a pretty even split between the 2....

captaintunedog777
10th Jan 2009, 21:23
How about. Some poorly constructed house has run out of warranty. How about blaming an a/c. Particularly a big new one and a newish airline. This was caused by an incorrect power setting which caused the a/c to run up the coast low and damage 1 house. Horse#$&%

Loco I suggest you return to what you do best.

framer
10th Jan 2009, 21:58
This was caused by an incorrect power setting which caused the a/c to run up the coast low and damage 1 house. Horse#$&%

Maybe....maybe not. It wouldn't be the first time thrust settings were worked out for the wrong runway/intersection/ weight......even wrong airport. It either went over the house low or it didn't, any evidence to suggest it did?

captaintunedog777
10th Jan 2009, 22:08
I also forgot

Departed into Northerly weather. Whatever this means. Was there weather to the North or wind and rain? BTW thunderstorms can form in the CG region any time of the day. They just have an afternoon preference.

Higs
11th Jan 2009, 05:11
Hey East West... would your legend have the initials L D? If so can you pass on any contact details
Regards
Higs

Eastwest Loco
11th Jan 2009, 06:54
Higs - Initials are R L, so no cigar.

Tunedog - I accept it is not my field, but found it and thought you guys and girls might find it interesting as I did.

Weather FROM the north normally means an northerly airstream as far as I am aware.

Clients/friends who mentioned this are on the northern end of the airport and this incident was just down the street from them.

I have nothing against Air Asia X, and yes - they pay no commission but due to our corporate mix we have only have use for them on intra Asia runs where we charge a whole $10 per passenger sector to cover our costs.

Best regards

EWL

Fliegenmong
11th Jan 2009, 10:05
Ha ha ha.... I have friends who are ex TAA / AUST (Mk1) / QANTAS / JETSTAR / AUSTRALIAN (MK2) who live just beyind the threshold of '32' at Cooly, (Tugun) and they've lived there for years, I mentiond it to them in passing with an emphasis on the 'R' in pprune, they called Bull**** right away.......AND then went on to say "One of our 9ers blew roof tiles off houses in Mel years ago.............." LOL :}....true :D

Max Talk
11th Jan 2009, 20:41
You better believe it. Whilst living in Cairns at the near northern suburb of Holloways Beach, and just to the left of the ILS track, on numerous times I heard and saw visible effects of vortex action. Surprisingly, the main a/c type to cause the most action was the BAE 146. Several seconds after passage of the a/c, you could hear the vortex descending ,and numerous times, it whipped the top leaves from some of the trees in the yard. Hate to have been a poor sucker in a C150 cutting in on a tight left base at that time !!!

Eastwest Loco
13th Jan 2009, 00:33
Apparently it was in Monash St Tugun, roof tiles disloged. Inaugural Air Asia X service departing 32?. Monash runs directly off the end of the Airport heading North.

Damage paid for by Gold Coast Airport P/L.

Fliegenmong - The threshold for 32 is at the opposite side of the airport.

Best all

EWL

Eastwest Loco
20th Jan 2009, 00:59
Now have more concrete information, with the "rumour" aspect theoretically removed.

Damage was caused by the ARRIVING Air Asia X landing into the South, not Northerly departure as first advised.

House was on the Southern corner of Cabarita Ave Tugun directly opposite the Bowls Club.

Bowls Club is having ongoing issues with arrivals rotating their lights for night bowls on their poles (only heavy equipment appears to be a problem) and they have had a number of canvas shelters used to keep the older members out of the sun damaged.

There ya go.

Best all

EWL

Ken Borough
20th Jan 2009, 02:15
Having just read through this thread, I can see that a few "wise" contributors owe poor 'ole EWL an unconditional apology!!

captaintunedog777
20th Jan 2009, 03:49
"As their was no air return, one can assume that there must have been 2 participating and serviceable turbines, which leaves MTOW, incorrect load and trim notification and erronious power settings to cause the aeroplane to pass over the house low enough for thrust (or the unlikely wake turbulence) so low as to dislodge tiles"

You don't get off the hook that easily Loco. Erronious power selection Loco and the unlikely wake turbulence. Pilot error hey! No apology forthcoming here.

Cheers All

Eastwest Loco
21st Jan 2009, 10:26
None expected Tunedoggy.

No "Pilot Error" was suggested, just possible airport design error.

I ran with what I had and should have waited, but at least sourced the Cabarita Ave Shopkeeper's info finally.

He is in the running with the Townsville and Charleville refuellers for source of the year I believe.

The fact that the disruption is ongoing with the extended runway is interesting.

The heavies would generally be arriving relatively light due to fuel burn.

Is there enough leeway to displace the arrival threshold as it appears that if lightd on towers are being moved and canvas shelters blown out that something is rotten in the State of Denmark?

Best all

EWL

Condition lever
21st Jan 2009, 19:36
No "Pilot Error" was suggested, just possible airport design error.

Was the airport there first??

mustafagander
22nd Jan 2009, 10:43
AFAIK not that bit of it.

peuce
22nd Jan 2009, 22:29
This has absolutely no relevance to the point at hand, but just interesting stuff ...

I have been on the OOL-KUL-OOL run with AAX and my observations were that departure and arrival into and out of OOL appeared to be along normal lines (from a SLF point of view), however, departure out of KUL was another thing ...

I could have watched an episode of 60 Minutes during the takeoff roll and when the wheels left the earth ... there was only earth beneath us ... no tarmac!!

The quick and dirty assumption from that is that they need a lot more juice to get here than to get back.

Fliegenmong
23rd Jan 2009, 10:10
Apologies Loco, of course the threshold of 32 is at the other end:O, Ii just find it odd that having had a very close 30+ year relationship with OOL, this is something I hadn't heard about!:eek:

Eastwest Loco
23rd Jan 2009, 12:36
As it happens Fliegenmong, that was all irrelevant. It was an arrival from the other end.

No matter mate, it is all just interesting info anyway - not a cause for revitalising the Spanish Inquisition.

Nobody expects............

Best regards

EWL