PDA

View Full Version : West Yorkshire Police helo busiest in UK

Cpt_Pugwash
7th Jan 2009, 22:42
Spotted this report (http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/West-Yorkshire-Police-helicopter-busiest.4850124.jp) on t'interweb .....

Some of the comments are.... well, see for yourselves.

KNIEVEL77
7th Jan 2009, 22:55
Interesting comments, not!!!!!!:ugh:

206Fan
7th Jan 2009, 23:31
Well their deff not aviation enthusiates and only see the helicopter as a noise in the sky like my own neighbours :ugh:

Whirlygig
7th Jan 2009, 23:44
Davy, you mean your neighbours are a noise in the sky?:}

Of course they're not aviation enthuisasts; it's a regional newspaper :)

Cheers

Whirls

206Fan
8th Jan 2009, 00:09
Davy, you mean your neighbours are a noise in the sky?

More like a pain in the rear whirls!:}

Nah i meant my neighbours only see the police helicopter as a noise in the sky and don't realise its up there for a good reason.

Back to the topic, i thought londons AS355 police helicopters would have clocked up the most hours or have they been replaced by 145s?

Dave

misterbonkers
8th Jan 2009, 07:17
I don't know if it's still the case but at one stage the west Yorkshire police explorer was supposed to be the busiest police explorer in the world.

MightyGem
8th Jan 2009, 08:12
I don't know if it's still the case but at one stage the west Yorkshire police explorer was supposed to be the busiest police explorer in the world.
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
West Yorkshire Police helicopter busiest in UK after Todmorden pensioner search makes it 10,000 flight hours

R44-pilot
8th Jan 2009, 08:18
Them comments...... They wont think that when there mum,dad,bro,sister,child etc goes missing, or someone steals there motor in the middle of the night!

It's easy for them to sit at a keyboard an poke at such a service...
Well I hope someone steals there computer and the helicopters grounded for that one!

Mark Nine
8th Jan 2009, 12:46
Can one of the guys in the North East please tell us how many hours G-NESV has clocked up. :ok:
I really don't think West Yorks record will stand for long.

tigerfish
8th Jan 2009, 13:02
I believe the Northumbia EC135 G-NESV passed 10,000 flight hours some time ago! So I don't think the West Yorkshire claim is accurate in that respect. It probably is the busiest 902 though.
Tigerfish

500 Fan
8th Jan 2009, 13:15
According to Eurocopter UK, the Garda Air Support Unit EC135 (256) is clocking up flight time at a higher rate than any other police EC135, though it doesn't have the number of hours accumilated by Northumbria (yet).

500 Fan.

Coconutty
8th Jan 2009, 13:16
Looking at the quoted figures they appear to have a 1200 hour per annum flying budget ( Not at all unusual ).

I know of at least one Air Support Unit that has a budget of 1400 Hrs so how are they defining the phrase "busiest" ??

Or do they really mean they have the 902 with the most hours on it :rolleyes:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

misterbonkers
8th Jan 2009, 15:07
mightygem - I hope you were wearing a helmet whilst banging your head against a brick wall.

Stuart Hughes
8th Jan 2009, 18:50
Fancy taking all that time to find that poor pensioner!!!? ;)

8th Jan 2009, 19:33
They must have searched every one of the 500 sq km very thoroughly:)

The eloquent musings of the Halifax residents are a joy to behold:ugh:

206Fan
8th Jan 2009, 20:10
Offtopic but the emergency services in northern ireland had a let down during the week. Apparentley a french tourist phoned a local hotel in newcastle from the mourne mountains explaining he was in trouble and in need of help so the nice lady in the hotel phoned the emergency services to let them know. Three helicopters were scrambled (our S-61 and 2 RAF seakings i think) along with dozens of ground personal and sniffer dogs to search for the man, after a day of searching they didn't find the man and declared the phone call as a hoax. Costs reached over £200,000 for the operation.

What goes through some peoples heads is beyond me:=

I know its happened before elsewere!

Brilliant Stuff
8th Jan 2009, 20:52
I believe our engineer told me G-NESV is the EC135 fleet world leader in hours and yes it passed 10k last year.

MightyGem
9th Jan 2009, 19:56
Ah, yes, but that's not as newsworthy as a 902 getting to 10000 hours. :E

flarecheckohdear
10th Jan 2009, 14:28
Give West Yorks ASU a break! 902 operators haven't had much to shout about this last decade. Coming close to other ASU's in output must seem like a big event so don't spoil it for them. Well done lads & lasses, that's all I can say ;)

VfrpilotPB/2
11th Jan 2009, 09:43
Good mornin Ppruners,

If the Yorkshire ASU are the ones who are most busy, what are we to make of the Yorkist population!,...:ooh:

I alway thought the Mighty Gem ASU would be THE busy one in the North of England....:ouch: closely followed by Handsnaks in Brummie:suspect:

Peter R-B
The Red Rose County:D