PDA

View Full Version : What a bargain!

angels
7th Jan 2009, 12:54
I was shoving something into the microwave last night when I suddenly realised that I've had the thing for years. I bought it for a hundred quid (I know, expensive now, but cheap then) in 1980. It has never given me a problem at all. It was a bargain.

When I was 17 I paid five quid for a Morris Minor. My dad (mainly) and I had it running in a day and I drove it for three years all around the country until I moved to a flat in town and didn't need a car. I got 60 quid for it. It was a bargain.

When I was two (50 years ago) my parents bought me a red cereal dish. My daughter now uses it each morning. Whatever it cost, it was a bargain.

Any other Ppruners got examples of terrific buys?

Standard Noise
7th Jan 2009, 13:08
Wifey was in our local Woolies :{ a couple of years ago and found two pagers (remember them?) for a fiver the pair. Sold them on ebay for 30 each. Bargain.

Tesco about 8 years ago, lifted a steam iron cos it was meant to be half price (19.99) if you spent 50 or more. Did the weekly shop and when the iron went through the till, it rang up as 1p. We questioned it with the girl and she shrugged and let it go through. Bargain.

Spent a bit of serious wedge on a new car for the wife six months ago and we've been getting along much much better, my ears bleed much less now. Bargain.

Inherited a tumble dryer from my mother 14 years ago. It was already 12 years old then and it only gave up the ghost last summer (so much for extended 5 year warranties!) Bargain.

G-DESK
7th Jan 2009, 13:44
My parents bought a wooden clothes airer when they first moved in together nearly 40 years ago. It now airs my laundry every week, while the fancier metal and plastic one I was suckered into buying broke beyond repair after less than two years' use. I'd sound worryingly like my dad if I were to say they don't make 'em like they used to, but maybe there's something to that after all.

ShyTorque
7th Jan 2009, 13:51
Wifey was in our local Woolies a couple of years ago and found two pagers (remember them?) for a fiver the pair. Sold them on ebay for 30 each. Bargain.

A couple of weeks ago you could have bought the whole store chain for a quid. ;)

Blacksheep
7th Jan 2009, 14:21
A gold Ingersoll "Triumph" pocket watch. GranDad got it for nothing (well 30 years service, but that's not a cash outlay) and he left it to Dad and he left it to me. Its a bargain.

Also Dad's Parker pen, bought duty free by our Mam aboard the RMS Winchester Castle on the way out to HMS Afrikander. I borrowed it once, many years ago during my GCEs, and gave it back when I'd finished. Now its mine and its another bargain.

Then there's the trench coat I bought thirty years ago for twelve pounds at C & A in Harrow, when it was raining outside. It has a woollen inner liner that you can zip in during the winter and remove again in the spring. A bargain.

Storminnorm
7th Jan 2009, 14:23
I did offer a tenner but they told me to p*ss off, someone else
had offered 15. WASN'T YOU SHYTORQUE was it?

M.Mouse
7th Jan 2009, 15:04
I divorced my wife in 1981.

It cost me a fortune. It was a bargain.

dany4kin
7th Jan 2009, 15:16
My first car, 1995 Rover Metro, bought it for 550, did thousands of faultless miles without a service before it was written off by an air stewardess in my work car park. Got 600 for it from insurers.

Also the first joystick I ever bought for my computer, 11, 12 years ago? Expensive then but had my money's worth. Still going strong...

Chrisbowe82
7th Jan 2009, 15:28
Not so much Bought a bargain item but sold a fair few.
I remember working in HalFrauds about 10 years ago. I can't remember why, but we had to clear out all our stocks of starter motors, alternators, shock absorbers and some other bits of rubbish like gaskets, all going at the bargain price of 50p each to anyone who wanted them.

The best/worst thing about it was that for every alternator or starter motor sold, the customer would get 25 back on return his/her old unit, so we toyed with the idea of buying all of the stock for 50p each and returning them so we got the 25 surcharge back on each one!

Never did have the balls to carry it out though...

flugholm
7th Jan 2009, 15:30
My B&O Beocenter 3500. My father bought it in the mid-seventies in Denmark and smuggled it into this country. (Probably the only illegal thing he did in his whole life!). He gave it to me in 1986 when I moved out. The amp had a bit of a breakdown last summer, so I had to invest some 200 in its first maintenance in over 30 years. It told the guy at the B&O shop "It's okay, I'll send my yet-unborn kids around with it for the next maintenance in 2038."

Also still going strong, and sounding excellent!

frostbite
7th Jan 2009, 15:33
AEG Lavamat washing machine, bought three years ago for 15 inc. delivery, sadly just gone bang.

Lon More
7th Jan 2009, 15:40
The family bought a condom once .....

c,c,d.

corsair
7th Jan 2009, 17:40
angels, don't want to worry you but a microwave that old might not be in the best of condition re possible leakage of microwave radiation. It's probably OK but if the door seal is leaky. Who knows. In truth most of the dangers of microwave ovens is exaggerated. But in an oven 29 years old. Well!

S'land
7th Jan 2009, 18:23
When I was eleven years old my parents bought me a Parker 51 when I moved to the upper school. I remember my father telling me that "we bought you a decent fountain pen so that it will last a few years, at least until you finishing your education". He was right, 48 years later it still works perfectly and is in daily use. At the time it cost almost a weeks wages for my father, but in terms of use it has been a bargain.

BarbiesBoyfriend
7th Jan 2009, 19:12
I bought a Sunbeam Alpine once (1965 model). I paid 130.

It was for spares for my Tiger. It was all in bits and the transmission tunnel had been cut out. Had a look at it before dismantling it and it looked like it was nearly all there. Welded the tranny tunnel back in quickly, MoT'd it and drove it all summer. Great wee car.

Then sold its plate (MCS 94) for 2500- robbed all the good bits for the Tiger and flogged the car for...... 800

Ker-chiiiiing!:ok::ok:

sitigeltfel
7th Jan 2009, 19:55
My marriage licence set me back 1.00 in 1975.

Not sure if it was a bargain though :ouch:

StaceyF
7th Jan 2009, 20:02
I was shoving something into the microwave last night when I suddenly realised that I've had the thing for years. I bought it for a hundred quid (I know, expensive now, but cheap then) in 1980. It has never given me a problem at all. It was a bargain.

We paid 229 for a Panasonic all singing, all dancing microwave back in 1985 and it's still going strong.

Likewise, we paid 249 for a Hotpoint tumble drier in 1986 and that's still operational; the door release mechanism requires a pair of pliers but given that the unit sits in a shed and is subject to the elements I don't reckon that's too bad.

mr fish
7th Jan 2009, 21:17
with everyone going digital, now is a great time to snap up 35mm SLR cameras.
from car boot sales this year i have,
OLYMPUS OM1-25
PENTAX ME SUPER-15
CANON AE1 PROGRAMME-15
and best of all,
ZENIT 12 with SIX lenses and hard case-10.
cannot wait for my first airshow and have em all round my neck,
like a right t:mad:t!!!!

airship
7th Jan 2009, 21:45
When I moved into my current apartment back in 1992 or thereabouts, I paid FF2,000 (about 200 in those days) to an English couple in Vallauris in addition to helping them move their remaining furniture to their new abode in my big white van. This is what I got in exchange:

1) 1 x 'Clic-clac' convertible sofa bed
2) 1 x matching armchair
3) 1 x ROSIERES model 2442L combined gas/electric cooker and oven
4) 1 set of 4 chairs and extending dining table in pine
5) 2 x bedside tables in pine
6) 1 pair of curtains
7) 1 x washing machine
8) 1 x fridge-freezer

I still have items 1 - 6. (I did replace the lower heating element of the cooker in 1997/8, and the sofa bed has a new cover, but otherwise...) The washing machine died about 2000/1, the fridge-freezer in 2003. My LG 'no frost' fridge-freezer replacement bought at Carrefour for about 250 ceased to work a couple of years ago, but once I'd cleared away the cobwebs behind the appliance, it's been working fine ever since. Same goes for my Whirlpool washing machine (only 700rpm max. spin) - I do have to thump the door sometimes so that it starts sometimes, but otherwise it goes strong too.

Compare that to what I paid for merely 2 pairs of curtains for the admittedly tall French windows to the previous occupier of the apartment (FF2,500 or 250 but they produced bills showing that they'd paid over FF6,000 or 600 just a year before). I still have them, but back then, I thought 'what a great bargain I was getting'.

Even if I were to win the lotto tonight, I would have great difficulty in replacing some furniture. As I type this, my latest cat is asleep in 'a natural hollow' of the old sofa bed. For about 15-16 years before her, my cats Grey and Pudi spent many hours of their days there too...

My worst ever bargain - a HP 'business' type multi-function fax/printer/scanner that failed just outside the guarantee period. Was asked to pay over 250 for a standard exchange with 3 month guarantee. Dragged out my old Epson printer from the closet and used that. Replaced the company fax with a CANON MP780 multi-function in 2005 or so, saw how well it worked, bought another for my personal use 6 months later at 50% discount just before a newer model replaced it. CANON consummables are at least half the price of HP. Never looked back since...

FWIW... :ok:

Loose rivets
7th Jan 2009, 21:46
Big Bessie. AKA Ideal Standard gas boiler.

Came out of a huge house in Clacton. 60 Quid. Took four of us to move it into position. Ran it slightly throttled cos it was for a small hotel really. Totally fantastic bit of kit. Hardly ever had to clean out the dozens of burner thingies cos they were so big and well made.

Twenty five years later took it out to make all the plumbing modern. Smashed it to pieces on the front drive. Such ingratitude.

New Potterton system nowhere near as good, and only a fraction better on consumption.:{

ChrisVJ
7th Jan 2009, 21:54
Britool sockets 46 years old this year. Still using them.

Hasselblad back Portobello Road 30 years ago 5 pounds. Sold it two years ago with the rest of the kit.

Dushan
7th Jan 2009, 22:12
I bought 5 of these once, for $50.

http://www.vcalc.net/images2/Curta-506677-1-267x415.png

A few years later a friend of mine, desperate to have one gave me one of these, in mint condition, for it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/Leica_M6_img_1868.jpg/288px-Leica_M6_img_1868.jpg, retail value at the time $6,000.

Paracab
8th Jan 2009, 00:05
Father-in-law lent me the chisel he was given for woodwork at secondary school recently. Sometimes old tools fail spectacularly :ooh:

exeng
8th Jan 2009, 00:26
I divorced my wife in 1981.

It cost me a fortune. It was a bargain

A similar tale with a slightly later date - mine was binned in 1993. A real bargain although at the the time it seemed like a King's ransom. (Shirtless backs etc)

Regards
Exeng

Scumbag O'Riley
8th Jan 2009, 10:08
Me and flatmate were in the GDR just after the wall came down and traded a portable CD player for a Trabant. Drove it all the way back to the UK, used it as flat transport in London for a few years, and is now parked in the back of his garden and used to hold his beer stock (wife strict muslim and will not allow booze in house).

Reckon that German made out like a bandit.

BlueWolf
8th Jan 2009, 10:51
Bought a Casio Fx-82 calculator when I was in the 6th form in 1983. It's still running on the original batteries. Not alkaline, not rechargeable, no solar panel, just the original pair of ordinary, plastic-wrapped, Casio AA batteries it came with. I use it most days.

Senior grew up in a house overlooking a 400' high sea cliff in Devon. The water supply came from a spring about three quarters of the way down. Senior Senior had fashioned a ram pump out of two brass shell casings, somewhere near the beginning of the Last Great Unpleasantness, which supplied water from the aforementioned source, unto the house atop the cliff.

Senior and Mother journeyed to Pomgolia in 1993, including a visit to said house; the ram pump was still working, and to the knowledge of the then current incumbent, had never been touched.