PDA

View Full Version : Flying in French Polynesia

beebo
7th Jan 2009, 07:14
G'day everyone,
Just wondering if anyone's done any flying in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora-Bora, Marquesas), and if so, they wouldn't mind sharing experiences?
Cheers!

D-IITC
7th Jan 2009, 07:23
Hi,

there was an article on "FlyingMAG" some time ago . . .

Flying Magazine - Aviation Spoken Here (http://stage.flyingmag.com/turbine/580/aviation-spoken-here-page2.html)

Cheers, John

RVDT
7th Jan 2009, 13:01
Start here (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/frameset_aip_uk.htm) for AIP French Polynesia.

Are you flying your own aircraft, a French aircraft, helicopter, plank....................?????

Depending on what you are doing you may need HF, and there are certain mandatory VFR routes between the islands. The distances between islands may be a problem for a helicopter unless you have your own aircraft carrier!

starflex3
8th Jan 2009, 11:00
On that question, do you have to be a French Pilot with a JAR licence to get a job there?
Do they operate under there own rules or do they run under JAR rules?
Any Aussies flown commerically there?

RVDT
8th Jan 2009, 15:22
A JAR Licence or validation at least.

Ability to legally work in France (or it's overseas territories).
You would probably need a Carté Sejour. French Work Permit.

Not impossible - has been done before. There are a few expats operating in New Caledonia.

Being able to speak French would help.

Cost of living in Tahiti can be a little higher than most.

Nice people. Imagine French speaking Maori's. :ooh: There are daily flights to NZ and the USA which are busy as most people go down there to shop.

Papeete is not the nicest place after dark downtown.

I have flown there and the place stands out. Operated Papeete, Moorea, Bora and Rangiroa.

I would think that the need for helicopters is a little limited. The Îles Marquises are about ~ 600nm from Papeete! Some of the closer islands still have a lot of brine in between. It may only be 10 nm from to Papeete to Moorea but after that it's 97 nm to Huahine!

PM me if you want.

beebo
9th Jan 2009, 00:44
Thanks for all your replies/help. There's two companies that operate there flying Squirrels. The work seems to be jollies and whatever else comes along. It's just a thought to head over there so I figured I'd check for ideas...
Thanks!