PDA

View Full Version : Fat guys at CX?

Lil_Satan
6th Jan 2009, 05:29
Ok, first off, I'm not that fat.

But I've been told I'm too heavy for CX.

Do they have any published size requirements?

Any input would be great!!

lil

ShirleyNot
6th Jan 2009, 11:35
This is crazy, CX isn't NASA is it? You've only got to sit in the seat of an airliner, as long as you can fit in it and your heart is OK then there should be no problem. Obviously if you're clinically obese this might be frowned upon.

seatrumpeter
7th Jan 2009, 02:44
Let us be judge of whether you "are not that fat". :-)

What is your BMI? Mine was 26.4 at the time of interview and I got hired (now it's 25.1 and trending in the right direction). I'm tall though and I think the extra lbs were hard to pinpoint. There was another guy in the interview group that took some ribbing from one of the interviewers for being chunky but he got hired. He was a bit heavier than me. BMI - maybe 27.5 or so.

I would imagine that if you are closer to 30 it might be tougher....

Lil_Satan
9th Jan 2009, 14:20
Wow... The site I used told me I fave a BMI of 30.9! But I too have had a downward trend recently...

Thanks for the input! Now I have a clearer goal!

Air1980
10th Jan 2009, 16:51
BMI has been largely debunked as a relic of the past. It does not account for the fact that muscle weighs more than fat, genetic factors etc. So, if like me, you are fit - low BP, swimming, running ( marathon ) skiing etc - but rather 'vertically challenged' your BMI will always be way off. The Japanese are still using it as a pass/fail mark, but at least at CX I didn't get a single comment about mine (27ish normally) Don't worry.

4engines4longhaul
15th Jan 2009, 12:08
Kai Tak crewroom, circa 1994ish.

Junior Capatain wanders in and spots a much loved but portly senior skipper doing the Telegraph crossword. Pops over to him and pats his all bought and paid for belly and says " So John, when is it due and what are you going to call it?"

The paper is put down and the spectacles removed and looks up.

"Well, if it is a boy I will call him Charles after the heir to the throne. If it is a girl I will call her Elizabeth after her majesty. However, if as i suspect, it is nothing but piss and wind, I will name it after you" Priceless.

Happy days!