PDA

View Full Version : Detox

Richard Taylor
5th Jan 2009, 20:06
Now that most of us have had our Xmas & New Year fill, all the health "experts" recommend a full detox to rid our bloated bodies of all the rubbish we've eaten & drunk over the last few days.

However should we be listening to them, or is detox a complete waste of time?

I keep thinking I will try something like this, but after I have my mince pie & Irn Bru supper...or maybe next week...or the week after...or February...

Honestly, if you believe all the so-called experts, we wouldn't eat or drink anything for fear of death...:rolleyes:

lexxity
5th Jan 2009, 20:12
You mean this? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7808348.stm)

BarbiesBoyfriend
5th Jan 2009, 21:29
I'm staying alcohol free til the end of Feb (which coincides with my medical). I expect to lose about 2 stone.

Did it last year too. Felt great. Plainly this tactic wont work unless you take a wee swally in the normal run of things.;)

Lon More
5th Jan 2009, 21:37
Grandad always had a glass of warm water with a lemon squeezed in it for breakfast. Must have done him some good as, despite the attentions of the Kaizer, General Haig, the Fife Coal Owners and Attilla the Hen, he lived to be 99

RaraAvis
5th Jan 2009, 21:43
Detox is apparently bolleoux
BBC NEWS | Health | Scientists dismiss detox schemes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4576574.stm)
Have a glass of water:8

McDoo
5th Jan 2009, 22:03
Lexxy, I note that the lead investigative agency in your link is called 'The Voice Of Young Science'

Oh goody! So a bunch of 14 year olds who (legally) should not be drinking yet are evangelising to adults about how they should conduct their lives. Likewise the BBC (sorry, media in general) who all fit the demographics of the VoYS mentally.

Lon - I can Top Trump you - my grandfather died aged nearly 102. Gave up smoking Woodbines and Senior Service aged about 88 but was still knocking back a litre and a half of Scotch a week until he finally shuffled off. (he spent most of his WW1 Naval service in the brig somewhere in the Scottish islands)

The credit crunch is getting boring, wars are everywhere and no longer big news. So guess what? Our lefty media are gunning for the middle class scourge which is currently trying to reassert itself in the UK by being audacious enough to withhold donating our organs to non UK residents.

Ever been drinking with a member of our illustrious media? Effing hypocrites the lot of 'em.

Rant over

Cheers (raising a large glass of vino tinto)

McD:ok:

ShyTorque
5th Jan 2009, 22:39
Detox? Removing nasty substances from within the body?

Surely, that sort of thing needs a solvent.

Alcohol is a solvent..... :ok:

Say again s l o w l y
6th Jan 2009, 00:41
Detox.............FFS. If you'd been around industrial poisons and other nasty chemicals, then yes, getting them out of your system would be good.

People have just eaten and drunk too much. No-one has been poisioning themselves.

If I and everyone else who has been regularily subjected to some pretty toxic chemicals in the form of chemo need nothing more than to drink a few more pints of water a day and eat a normal, sensible diet, then why on earth would someone who ate a few too many calories at Christmas need to do anything more?

If there was any truth to the "detox" bo**ocks, I have a feeling I might have had it suggested to me. Especially since one of the things the Docs wanted was to get the chemo out of you as fast as possible to stop it screwing you up too much in one hit. Get it in, and then out as fast as possible.

More new age tosh with no grounding in any real science.

Notice how none of the "experts" actually have any real qualifications. "Dr" Gillian McKeith anyone................

Fools and their money will soon be parted, this "industry" proves that!

Lon More
6th Jan 2009, 00:53
Gave up smoking Woodbines and Senior Service aged about 88 but was still knocking back a litre and a half of Scotch a week until he finally shuffled off. (he spent most of his WW1 Naval service in the brig somewhere in the Scottish islands)

Wooodies is for girlies. Grandad used to sit paring bits of baccy off a block before smoking them in his pipe. Midges, clegs and sensible humans gave him a wide berth. He never had a cold; probably due to the fug that always surrounded him. After he died i saw his penknife. He must have been using it on the baccy for years and had also kept it sharp. The blade was almost all ground away. He spent his war in France. After being invalided back to the UK and spending several months in hospital he had the choice of going down the pit or back to France. Being intelligent he chose the pit.

For years I used toluene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluene) as a hand cleaner when in the garage. never did ne any harm http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/ladybug.gif

lexxity
6th Jan 2009, 10:27
McDoo I didn't actually read the article, I rarely do read anything that the BBC produce as "scientific study".

parabellum
6th Jan 2009, 12:00
Given the amount of money I spent on a fine festive table that lasted nearly twelve days I resent strongly the idea that I should now "Detox", it was all top quality stuff and can only have done us all good!;)

(possibly a failure in logic there but I don't want to know!).

Wader2
6th Jan 2009, 13:48
Detox is apparently bolleoux
BBC NEWS | Health | Scientists dismiss detox schemes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4576574.stm)
Have a glass of water:8

Water is dangerous. Beer is self-regulating.

Water does not intoxicate but too much water can wash out essential electrolytes from the body leading to death. Since water does not intoxicate there is nothing to stop you drinking yourself to death or drowning in the stuff.

Beer on-the-other-hand makes you drunk. too much beer and you fall asleep. It is however difficult to find sufficient undrunk beer to drown in it unless you happen to work in a brewery.

Beer also avoids the necessity for eating. You are thus unlikely to choke on your food which you might do while drinking water and eating. Beer (but not Tiger) is a good vegetable source. Remember Government advice - 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

You can get all your Government advised needs with 3 pints of beer, a packet of crisps and a packet of peanuts. If you must have some animal product too then you can probably get Pork scratchings with your beer.

Hic

airman13
7th Jan 2009, 09:19
well, to kill the cholesterol, to decrease GGT, to kill the triglycerides, etc, so I mean to clean our body (mostly for us, the pilots), I have some pieces of advise:
-stop eating fat food ,
-stop eating after 7 pm
-stop drinking alcohol(or at least in the evening, a glass of red wine)
-for smokers, if not possible to give up , try to not smoke more than 10 cigarettes a day
-commence to drink juice of lemons,grapefruits, oranges, at least 250ml daily
-who can eat ognion, garlic, it works very well....
-try to sleep at least 8 hrs (I know, it is a little bit complicated for night flights)
-give up at coke & fast food
-inside family harmony and so on , sex 2 times a week is ok(it depends of appetite and age of everybody)

apply these above for at least 45 days, and trust me, it will be much better for you, and as for me , having medical on 21 of february, I have been started since yesterday....good luck !

Say again s l o w l y
7th Jan 2009, 09:49
The old myth about not eating after a certain time is just that I'm afraid. An old myth. Your body takes what it wants out of your food whether you are awake or not.

So eating after 7 has no affect on anything. Unless you've been eating cheese of course!

Eating healthily and being sensible is of course a good idea, it's amazing how much abuse most of us put our body through on a regular basis without realising it and how well our body puts up with it.

max1
7th Jan 2009, 10:07
Re-hab is for quitters.
A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins.

Wader2
8th Jan 2009, 09:46
-stop eating fat food ,
-stop eating after 7 pm
-give up at coke & fast food

Oh dear, seriousness returns to Jetblast :(

To pick up 3 points (I agree with all of them though).

Fat food and late eating compound the problem.

Eating after 7 pm, per se, is not I believe the issue. It should really be stop eating 3 hours or so before going to bed. Bedtime is really linked to either the off or the on-duty life cycle. I have never been one (since I got married) to indulge in a late curry supper after an early high-tea with a skin full of beer in between.

Coke and fast food - well fast food links back to both the fat and the late-night curry.

As for coke, Miss PN when at OASC (staff) used to tell the wanabees to drink squash and keep off the coke as it made them hyper. I don't know how many ignored her advice and subsequently starred in the assessments. Mrs PN, at a boarding school, also stops the kids from cokes and sugar rushes before bed time with chocolate strictly rationed.