PDA

View Full Version : Cheap accomodations DXB

digsy52
5th Jan 2009, 14:25
Hello All,

Have an upcoming interview in Dubai, wondering if anyone has any experience locating very affordable(F/O Salary!!) accom. Nearby the airport.

Thanks in advance.

Cessna1052
5th Jan 2009, 15:35
A neighbor here, very close to the airport, rented a 5 room villa for AED240,000 dirhams for a year. He just moved out because the landlord wanted to increase the rent to 300,000/annum .

Much better to stay on Co. accomodation, if they will provide it, better yet buy your own and use your annual housing allowance to pay-off the property.

Mike.Park
5th Jan 2009, 16:17
digsy52 what are your circumstances? Family with kids? single?

Laker
5th Jan 2009, 18:03
Cheap accom. in DXB? Doesn't exist. I would be very wary of a housing allowance as rent increases exponentially. Maybe you could get roommates, but it seems a shame to travel halfway around the world to lower your standard of living. Hopefully the deflating property market will result in lower rents...

digsy52
5th Jan 2009, 19:48
Thanks for the info all, I should have stated that I was looking for a cheap hotel nearby the CAE Center...but as it turns out I'm all sorted...thanks for the info!

Mike.Park
5th Jan 2009, 19:53
That's what I was going to recommend. If your single with no "baggage", I would recommend sharing a house with 2 or 3 others and splitting your rent and all other bills 2 or 3-way.

It works out to be really cheap, and its quite social & great fun too especially if you all work for the same company.

My two dirhams.

Gillegan
6th Jan 2009, 05:19
That's what I was going to recommend. If your single with no "baggage", I would recommend sharing a house with 2 or 3 others and splitting your rent and all other bills 2 or 3-way.

It works out to be really cheap, and its quite social & great fun too especially if you all work for the same company.

My two dirhams.

That would be a good solution except that technically it is illegal. In an attempt to stop the practice of 45 people living in a 2 bedroom villa, the authorities in Dubai are now enforcing a ban on unrelated people sharing accommodation.

I wonder now if EK cabin crew are all going to get their own apartments. :rolleyes:

Mike.Park
6th Jan 2009, 12:42
Gillegan, I remember hearing that law coming into force but wasn't it designed to stop landlords creating make-shift labour camps and associated health hazards associated with such?

I don't think 3 people living in a 3 bedroom house will violate those laws - will it?

Rule3
6th Jan 2009, 14:23
Yes it will. :{ONE VILLA ONE FAMILY.:ugh:

BAOREY
7th Jan 2009, 04:18
The one family rule does not apply to apartments so they remain available to share.

Nightfire
7th Jan 2009, 08:37
Well, if there is an exception for apartments, it is only there to suit the company.

You could share an apartment with one or two other guys, and nobody would really mind. Don't advertise it too much, then you should be okay.
Otherwise: Cheap accommodation in DXB? HAHAHAHAHA! :ugh:

Be aware that you can not live together with your girlfriend before you get married. They have another law against that, too. I'm mentioning it, because I know a guy who got to be together with one of the CC. They wanted to move together, but she still keeps her company-provided room anyway. So legally, they live separatedly, to avoid any kind of problems.

typhoonpilot
7th Jan 2009, 08:50
I'd venture to say that rents are at their peak for the foreseeable future. Prices will be coming down significantly as speculators/investors are no longer able to sell their properties and are forced to rent them out. The amount of units coming on to the market at the same time the economy is in a recession/depression will keep rental prices down for many years into the future.

The rent prices at present are unrealistic and unsustainable. Along with a 50% decline in property values one would expect a significant decline in rental prices.

There is a lot of construction out in Dubai Investment Park. That along with Discovery Gardens, Jebil Ali Downtown, Sports City, Jumeirah Village, Motor City, and even Jumeirah Lakes Towers and the Marina would be the places you'll want to look to be closer to the new Intl. Airport.

Typhoonpilot

nodi
7th Jan 2009, 18:34
There are very cheep apartments in Al Nahda area, north of Dubai airport, 70.000 dhs 2 bed, and 90.000 3 bed apartments in new buildings. Of course it is Sharjah area but is 15 min with taxi to dxb.

Jet II
8th Jan 2009, 05:45
I'd venture to say that rents are at their peak for the foreseeable future. Prices will be coming down significantly as speculators/investors are no longer able to sell their properties and are forced to rent them out. The amount of units coming on to the market at the same time the economy is in a recession/depression will keep rental prices down for many years into the future.

The rent prices at present are unrealistic and unsustainable. Along with a 50% decline in property values one would expect a significant decline in rental prices.

In theory yes - but..

One of the main reasons why people cannot sell is that buyers cannot get finance - so if they cannot buy then they have to rent which keeps demand (artificially?) high.

I would also point out that in the UK the sale price of houses has fallen dramatically over the past 2 years but the rentals rates have barely fallen at all.

kit330
8th Jan 2009, 08:10
Aaahh guys... dingsy has solved his problem already...regarding his question....:hmm:

typhoonpilot
9th Jan 2009, 13:42
Well, check out today's Xpress and you'll see that rent prices have already started going down in many areas of Dubai. This trend will continue as tens of thousands of expats lose their jobs and return to their home country. Prices will be going down, there is no doubt about it.

Typhoonpilot

Saltaire
9th Jan 2009, 14:49
Return home to do what exactly? I would guess they might drive up to AD to look for for work. I doubt there would be any work available in most countries now and no chance of collecting any social assistance...

I'd rather stay in the ME in times like this,

Gillegan
10th Jan 2009, 07:07
Return home to do what exactly? I would guess they might drive up to AD to look for for work. I doubt there would be any work available in most countries now and no chance of collecting any social assistance...

I'd rather stay in the ME in times like this,

Unlike some other parts of the world, if you lose your job in the ME, you also lose your residence visa. Whether you want to stay or not won't be an issue unless you can find other work.

Shaman
11th Jan 2009, 07:54
I think that what Digsy52 meant was that he had an interview coming up and was looking for a good value hotel near the CAE centre................

ekpilot
12th Jan 2009, 07:04
Check for yourself

UAE rent rises slow to a standstill - report - Real Estate - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/543280-uae-rent-rises-slow-to-a-standstill---report)

Average annual rent for studios, and apartments with one, two and three bedrooms in Dubai were 80,000, 123,000, 165,000 and 243,000 dirhams respectively, Asteco reported.

That means EK allowance get you a 2 bedrooms apartment and THAT'S IT Don't be fooled...

Keep Discovering:ok: