PDA

View Full Version : F/E jobs

Brian Gough
5th Jan 2009, 13:48
I am a licensed engineer, looking to get onto the flightdeck. Are there still F/E jobs going, what can I do about training? I am single and prepared to relocate.

MVE
6th Jan 2009, 18:58
Sorry to spoil a dream but with many ex-military Flight engineers around a chance of an FE job is extremely unlikely, best of luck though.......

Bleedvalve
7th Jan 2009, 10:07
Hi Brian, FE is dead. There is no more jobs for FE's. The best you can do is to get ratings on BBJ or private jets. With that you can be a flying tech with private operators.
Otherwise you must go the pilot route.

Goodluck

BelArgUSA
8th Jan 2009, 01:14
Dear Brian -
xxx
I would urge you to apply for a F/E position with MK Cargo Airlines.
They occasionally hire 747 F/Es... Many from ZA and Mugabeland.
Your maintenance background will be an asset.
And after you finally get to be one, put all efforts to get pilot training.
The years for F/Es are quickly getting to be the past.
There are maybe 10 years left... then, only pilots will remain.
xxx
Some airlines did assist their F/Es to become pilots.
Eventually, MK's Mike Kruger will get 747-400F airplanes requiring 3 pilots.
And as Cargolux did long ago, might train former F/Es for 3rd pilot positions.
xxx
All the best to you.
:ok:
Happy contrails

RSFTO
8th Jan 2009, 08:40
in china there are operators with 747 classic, lokk for it there also.

Bleedvalve
9th Jan 2009, 07:45
It is all good with the 747's still flying, as long as these companies are willing to pay for your rating.
There is a lot of F/E's on the market looking for work. I believe it will be better to use the money and start your pilots lisence or getting a new generation aircraft rating on your AME.
Unfortunately the F/E position is dying out quickly.
I see you are from JNB, maybe it will also be good to get your A&P lisence. Will be better for private flying as a flying tech.

Good luck, hope you can get into the air quickly.
I will never trade flying for work.......

Brian Gough
9th Jan 2009, 10:27
Thanks for the responses, I will give MK a go, I know a few guys there. What about the loadmaster route? How does that work?

Bleedvalve
10th Jan 2009, 18:27
For loadmaster try and talk to the guys at Safair. They will be able to give you some info. If you can get a company to pay for your FE rating, go for it. I just believe in not spending my own money on a trade that is dying out. With the current world economics there is going to be a lot of qualified FE's out there looking for work.
Good luck, enjoy.

diamond1
11th Jan 2009, 11:14
have a look at this job, not sure if they are currentley taking on F/E but worth a gohttp://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/factfile.php?id=kh9vh7bcfzwzj5css4h2j5nty6xh1aqbbmwgfvjmh28q y85h3a4 :)