PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy across pond last night

greggx101
5th Jan 2009, 12:47
Anyone have a bumpy ride across pond last night 5 Jan ?

Had one of the most turbulant flights ever last night from PHL to LGW, it was relentless, and to make matters worse i was on a USair 757 - No blankets or pillows left "sorry sir, first come first served"....froze our nuts off...complete rubbish and no seat back TV on their 75.

Never again will i take an American operator, rather put up with the extra drive to LHR and take a wide bodied with VS or BA.

radeng
5th Jan 2009, 13:49
I gave up on US Air and their descendents about 25 years ago. I found them to be universally dreadful, and they have succeeded in pulling America West (who weren't that brilliant anyway) down to their level. I'm told that there is fair degree of antipathy between America West ('America's Worst') and USAir ('Useless Air') staff.

Ace Rimmer
8th Jan 2009, 14:42
Fair enough on the service shortfalls - but bit harsh blaming them for the chop...

greggx101
8th Jan 2009, 16:20
Fair enough on the service shortfalls - but bit harsh blaming them for the chop...

wasnt - just made matters worse stuck on that. They really are U S .

groundbum
8th Jan 2009, 21:22
I've just done USAirways from MAN-PHL-MIA-(AA)-DEN-PHL-MAN over Xmas with the family and found them AOK on all flights. We came back from PHL/MAN on the night of Jan 5th and didn't have any turbulence. In all cases the planes were clean and within minutes of departure/arrival times.

Both ways on the A330 across the Atlantic the seat back tellies were broken, and the reboot of the system takes 45 minutes. Cured it both times though. Food transatlantic was plentiful and they gave you the entire can to keep, with refills at the back all the time.

Also all the flights were overbooked, and this led continuously to sweating whether we would get on the flight or not, and after getting a prized Willa Wonka boarding card then there were always 3 or 4 people in tears on their mobiles at the gate, as well as loads of resigned people just sat there. I understand the need to make profits etc, but the sheer emotion and anxiety tied up in this makes the system seem cruel. But this seems to be how US carriers work domestically now. Of course it was Xmas holidays so emotions would be high about getting home etc..

We do currently have one bag missing from the homeward bound flight, and one that got ripped...

G

Crepello
10th Jan 2009, 04:16
Sad to see this - last flew a USair 'TransAt' about 4 years ago, and was generally impressed for the price. But heard a lot of negatives recently. Back then, there was a blanket & pillow on every seat, which doesn't seem like much to expect for medium haul.

Feel the pain of the OP - flew EWR-MAN on 23-Dec and was "shaken, and stirred" for a good 4 hours of the flight - continuous light, occasional moderate. At least the relief of... well, relieving, ahem... made it all seem worthwhile. Just.