PDA

View Full Version : YBMC Sunbird Seeker

BugSmasher80
5th Jan 2009, 09:53
Hi,

I noticed two seekers at Maroochydore on the weekend. Does anyone know if these are being used for beach patrols etc and who is operating them?

Maybe they're privately owned....

Seabird Aviation - Aircraft Manufacturers - Hervey Bay Queensland Australia (http://www.seabirdaviation.com.au/)

Ixixly
6th Jan 2009, 23:53
They appear to be basing two of them out of Archerfield as well, noticed them around there are lot recently being the odd looking contraptions they are. Pretty sure they'd be the same two? Not sure what the story is on them though.

Wally Mk2
7th Jan 2009, 00:14
Interesting airframe, kind of reminds me of the observation Partenavia that was around a few years ago, they too never really took off that much either here in Oz.

I like the concept though.

Wmk2

NZFlyingKiwi
7th Jan 2009, 03:06
I seem to remember hearing a while ago that the Iraqi Air Force (post Saddam that is) have a few of these.

Jabawocky
7th Jan 2009, 10:53
I know the bloke who did a heck of a lot of the test flying of them a few years ago, Owen Stanley, Chuckles and Forkie knows the guy too..... any way listen to him talk about them.....:} but they do serve a purpose and once you get used to the fact its a buble cockpit with no visual clues about what is going on to the airframe, and its a tail dragger..... it flies quiet OK and slow!

Apparently they had trouble finding a TD pilot to test fly them...... ahhhh a Good old RV TD driver they used!:ok: OK secret is out now for the above mentioned folks anyway!:p

J:ok:

RadioSaigon
7th Jan 2009, 11:37
They look like a development(?) or perhaps a variant of 1979's Edgley EA7 Optica (http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/edgley_optica.php)...

speedtaper
9th Jan 2009, 07:30
One of them, SZS, is privately owned.

Wanderin_dave
9th Jan 2009, 13:50
It's 'Seabird', not 'Sunbird'. :ok:

djpil
9th Jan 2009, 21:21
The Seabird is an all local design, owes nothing to the Optica.
Haven't flown a Seabird however have flown the Optica - same issues as Jabawocky mentioned wrt visual cues. Interesting flying it at night.
PS - Optica TP in my time was Neville Duke - great to work with.

shorty81
15th Jan 2009, 13:07
I am one of the demo pilots for Seabird Aviation.

There are 2 Seabird Seekers at YBMC. SZS is privately owned by a soon to be PPL pilot (when I finish his training) the other one is SUA, it is the compnay demonstrator.

SBO is based at YBAF and is leased by a Brissie based aerial Photographer.

SBO and SUA do ocassionally switch one to work as the demo and the other for the lessee.

All training on the Seabirds are run out of Aero Dynamic Flight Academy and they can offer training or demo flights on the aircraft (ask for Mitch)

If anyone world like more info please PM me or contact either Seabird Aviation or Aero Dynamic Flight Academy

Shorty

Under Dog
16th Jan 2009, 05:49
Not a bad lookin concept , but they seem to make a hell of noise and not get anywhere fast.

The Dog

shorty81
16th Jan 2009, 08:24
Yeah they are pretty noisy but strangly its not to bad inside (as all come with bose headsets)
We are planning a slight redesign on the exhust to try to reduce some of the noice.
They normally crusie at about 105kts so the difference between that and a C172 is, after a 2 hour nav when you are cleaning up the C172 the Seabird is landing, so not too bad really. But than I am trying to sell them so i think everythings great :)

In all honesty without trying to rap them too much, i do really enjoy flying them its a hoot to see what they can do.

Shorty

Under Dog
16th Jan 2009, 09:03
Shorty
I spent a few years in Hervey bay working there when they were trialing these things and have since lost touch so was wondering how sales have gone with the seabird since its induction?

Regards The Dog

shorty81
16th Jan 2009, 11:02
I'm not sure what happened with previous attempts at selling the Seabirds but we have been very busy with enquires.

The new one out of the factory will have a Ciniflex Camera installed and SUA went to HBA today to have the FLIR put back on and I have a few demos to do for specific companies that these adons will suit.

Shorty81

Howard Hughes
16th Jan 2009, 19:16
And what do they cost Shorty? Can't find any info on the website!

shorty81
16th Jan 2009, 23:11
A new one out of the factory is $320,000 inc all options.
Before you say thats alot for a 2 seater, its still cheaper than a R22 and can do 90% of what they can do.

Shorty

Howard Hughes
17th Jan 2009, 00:17
Thanks for that, is there any room behind the seats for bags? Any plans to put one on floats?

shorty81
17th Jan 2009, 01:36
there is quite a sizable baggage area for baggage, I took the plane to see family for a week over Christmas and had a sizable bag + Computer Bag + Flight bag and that along with a couple of bottles of oil, tie downs and 2 door socks (for protecting the doors when flying with them off) and it all fitted ok albeit a bit tight, I'm having a bit of a mental blank but I think max baggage is about 50Kg.

We think it is a bit under powered for floats but one of dealerships (in Canada I think) are looking into it. We are hoping to sell a few more so we can have a solid base to develop the next model. A 3-5 Seat turbine version which would be more suited for floats.

Shorty81

Under Dog
17th Jan 2009, 02:33
Howard
Geez Howard, are you goin to sell the house and buy one ?

The Dog:ok:

Howard Hughes
17th Jan 2009, 03:51
Why would I need to sell the house?;)

A 3-5 seat turbine version sounds good, with more than one paying passenger I could then see uses for them in the scenic world!:ok: