PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B in Australia??

NFK4X4
5th Jan 2009, 08:38
Hi
I am equipping my aircraft with a Garmin G600 and am wondering if the time is right to install Mode S. The installation will be starting in about 3 weeks and I still have a window of opportunity to change my dual mode C transponders and install mode S.
Can anyone give me reason to spend >3500 USD, or should I save the money for fuel?
NFK4X4

Dick Smith
5th Jan 2009, 09:22
If they will connect the GPS to the Mode S transponder so that a certified ADSB signal will be squitted I would go for it - you are getting a bargain.

Last time I checked it was going to cost a fortune (over $20k ) for a certified ADSB signal do be transmitted from my C208.

At the present time I doubt if there will be a measurable increase in safety for your $3500, but you may impress some of the people who post on this site.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
5th Jan 2009, 09:25
NFK,

G'day, I presently fly aircraft that are ADSB equipped, and operate frequently outside of RADAR coverage, IMHO ADSB is fantastic.

Do a search on PPRUNE and you'll find many bitching and moaning about it, costing money, not being as good a RADAR etc etc.

If I owned an aircraft ( god forbid :) ), I'd ADSB it in a heart beat.

NFK4X4
5th Jan 2009, 11:01
LHRT
What do you mean by fantastic. Are you getting information that would make your trip safer? I fly the J curve and wonder whether my turbo Bo in the FL's is going to be safer. After all radar is there for me right now....?
Still curious, what is fantastic?
NFK

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
5th Jan 2009, 11:28
Fantastic is:

Flying from Newman to Perth, normally only "identified" about 2 hours into a 3 hour flight, with ADSB identified all the way.

Out side of RADAR, when in range of the ever increasing number of ADSB stations, ASA can see you.

With ADSB-IN, I reckon you'd be better with TCAS/TAWS until ADSB is mandated.

If you are presently always in RADAR, IMHO ADSB will provide no benefit.

OZBUSDRIVER
5th Jan 2009, 12:25
NFK4X4, would love to be in your position. What type of aircraft are you re-equipping?

Garmin have clearly stated in their press releases on Dec19, last year that they are equipping there GTX330 with 1090ES capabilities, so you would appear to be correct with your information. And the price does appear to be $3500US! I suspect you already have GNS4W or 5W series GPS as part of the fitout.

Thursday, Garmin announced that it received FAA TSO authorization for the GTX 330 and GTX 33 transponders, and says it now provides an industry first for general aviation ADS-B Out capability. The specific TSO-C166a authorization applies minimum standards for 1090 MHz ADS-B and TIS-B equipment. In English, that means the transponders can provide precise aircraft location information to both air traffic control and other ADS-B equipped aircraft operating in the vicinity. So, these units introduce to general and business aviation a product designed to comply with the FAA's "NextGen" ATC system requirements. The faster update rate of 1090 MHz "extended squitter" (ES) capability allows the transponders to provide more accurate information for "surveillance" of the aircraft while in operation allowing for improved collision avoidance. "Garmin will offer the ES technology as a retrofit upgrade option for GTX 330 and GTX 33's already in the field" and as an option on newly purchased units. The company did not provide pricing information in its news release. The GTX 330 is a solid-state, Mode S transponder with TIS data link functionality capable of displaying traffic information on the Garmin GNS 430W/530W series. It currently sells for roughly $3,500.

FROM AVWEB DEC19, 2008.

If you wouldn't mind, keep the line open if you go ahead with fitment. I bet there are more than a few people here that would be VERY INTERESTED!

OZBUSDRIVER
5th Jan 2009, 22:51
NFK4X4, Another Homer moment for me...A turbo Bo in the FL's...I should read more:}

I think you will find AirServices will see you better, even around the J-curve.

NFK4X4
5th Jan 2009, 23:53
OBD BTW the more I read the more I find out how much I don't know. I like doughnuts too. When my installation is done I am going to write an article on alphabet soup.
This link FYI might have been around the traps before
Mode S technology (http://rfdesign.com/military_defense_electronics/radio_understanding_mode_technology/)

OZBUSDRIVER
6th Jan 2009, 06:50
NFK4X4:ok: Can hardly wait.

NFK4X4
6th Jan 2009, 23:32
Just an update on the G600
TIS is not available if TAS is installed on the G600. So you might see my Mode S but I will see you only via active interrogation.

Matt-YSBK
6th Jan 2009, 23:52
On TIS:
I dont really understand why ASA dont send the information they get from their radar out on the ADSB Path. That way people could see both ADSB and normal transponders on there displays even when other aircraft are not ADSB equipped.

Hell they send this data out to some Aircraft noise lobby group. You can get it on a web site. Surely it's not hard to feed that same info into the ADSB. Then I guess that would not be in line to forcing people to get the new units.

Smells like politics.

OZBUSDRIVER
7th Jan 2009, 02:03
Hope it isn't long for Garmin to put 1090ES into the GDL90, then 1090ES will be shown on the screen as well as TAS.

Selex already make a unit for "IN" in Europe for light aircraft. Early days, competition will bring all this to the market. Also there is a locally manufactured device that has IN as well as OUT for a very competitive price. Hasn't been released to the market but very close. NFK4X4, if you need to find out more about that. Contact the fella who gave you the link and ask about Hans.:ok:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
7th Jan 2009, 02:08
Unless ADSB is mandated, ADSB-IN will really not be all that usefull, better use of money is having ADSB-OUT and TCAS/TAS.

CaptainMidnight
7th Jan 2009, 04:36
Surely it's not hard to feed that same info into the ADSB. ADS-B sites in Australia are receive only - they can't transmit. They receive the ADS-B out signals from aircraft and send that info to ATC.

A TIS/FIS type operation via ADS-B is a whole new ballgame with respect to ground station equipment fit.

Apart from the U.S. I don't know if any other country has this ground station TX facility.

Jabawocky
7th Jan 2009, 10:45
Capt 12am

Good point, however the ADSB IN really is independant of the ground stations as we were headed towards. the cockpit receiver just takes in any local signals and processes them from surrounding ADSB Out transponders.......... a bit like TCAS does without having to ping the other device first.

Or maybe more like a PCAS device.

J:ok: