PDA

View Full Version : Harrier 1 spares

Double Zero
5th Jan 2009, 08:22
An appeal of the 'just in case' variety...

At Tangmere Military Aircraft Museum, West Sussex, we have Sea Harrier FA2 ZA195, ( in fact the first airframe converted to FRS2 then FA2 ) - relatively recently acquired.

She is in pretty good condition, having been part of the Dunsfold development fleet, and we have the essentials, but if anyone should know the wherabouts of any of the following, we would be most interested;

Intake side bleed door blanks ( strips )

main intake blanks of the solid variety ( we have the inflatable jobs )

Outer pylons

Gunpods

Underfuselage AMRAAM pylons - yes we know it was either / or gunpods but this is for display !

Centreline pylon

And, though we know it's less likely, any stores, either inert or dummy obviously.

I am trying the obvious routes, but knowing how Pprune reaches the places and people nothing else does, thought I'd ask your good selves.

In case of any luck, please contact me either by PM or at [email protected]

Many Thanks

Andy

Lower Hangar
5th Jan 2009, 11:13
I was that Project Manager for the conversion of ZA 195 and XZ 439 from FRS1 to FRS2 (87-89 ) at Kingston & Dunsfold - I recall watching Heinz Frick wind ZA 195 up for its first flight as an FRS2 at Dunsfold and thinking " all these ducts in the rear fuselage creaking and groaning for the 1st time"

Nice to know ZA 195 is in safe hands and also nice to know that Art Nialls has got XZ 439 up and flying in USA.

I've got some piccies of ZA 195 emerging from the pens at Dunsfold after its first engine run - I'll mail them to the museum

Double Zero
5th Jan 2009, 15:50
If you were project manager on 195, we know each other !

I was at Dunsfold Photographic up to 1993, though any pics you have will either be by us, or Kingston photographers trying to get in the way...

Either way the photo's will be of interest, the Dunsfold archives were 'misplaced' on closure, maybe to Brooklands / Duxford /Hendon ( they are all so overloaded with material they can't keep up with cataloguing ) - or more likely to someone I can guess's garage...

Lower Hangar
5th Jan 2009, 18:11
Perhaps - I worked in Avionics Dunsfold on Harrier 1 Dev for Don Smith until Dick Wise parachuted me into Kingston in December 1987 to sort out the FRS1 to FRS2 conversion programme - after ZA 195 first flight I went back to Kingston to drag XZ 439 down the A3.

I knew some guys in Flight Test - Gerald B, Derek S & Matt T...but outside of these most of my acquaintances were Avionics

But back to the original thread - I've checked my garage - no red gear for Harrier 1 there !!

Double Zero
6th Jan 2009, 00:49
Yes, I knew all those names, and a lot more; one of the great things about my job was that it got me into every dept. on the 'field, and I knew most people by name - I was there from 1978 ( Kingston ) 1979-93 Dunsfold.

You may not remember me, but I bet I remember you; let's hope it's for good reasons ! Dick Wise - who I only knew fairly briefly before he had the misfortune to go to Kingston - seemed a good guy, sadly a declining breed in most dept. heads as time went on.

I photographed him being given the ride of a lifetime in G-VTOL by J.F, low and fast in front of the hangars while I was on the tower balcony.

Thanks for thinking about Harrier spares anyway !