PDA

View Full Version : Date of Seneca asymmetric accident at Tyabb a few years ago.

Centaurus
5th Jan 2009, 04:23
About ten years ago (guessing, here) a Seneca crashed at Tyabb during a touch and go landing. The instructor and student (female) escaped with minor burns after the aircraft caught fire. The aircraft had joined the circuit with one mixture at cut-off to simulate a inoperative engine with windmilling prop and when the instructor set the mixtures set to rich after touch down and throttles opened for take off, the originally failed engine did not respond and the control was lost.

Does anyone recall the registration number of the aircraft, date of accident and the ATSB Occurrence No.?

jportzer
5th Jan 2009, 06:10
The ATSB database doesn't show any accidents at Tyabb involving a Piper, nor could I find any accidents matching that description for any aircraft type. In fact there are no accidents at all listed for all of Victoria in a PA-34. Are you certain of the location, aircraft type, and injury level? Perhaps it was only classified as an incident, not an accident, in which case it might not be on the ATSB web site, which only seems to have more recent incidents.

Omega471
5th Jan 2009, 06:59
The aircraft involved was VH-WJP

I'm not 100% of the exact date, but it was certainly after I moved to Darwin. I'm guessing it would have to be around July - December 1995.

The instructor at the time was the CFI at Tyabb and has since moved onto VB.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Omega

Centaurus
5th Jan 2009, 09:56
Thanks so far. Also request information of a Seminole/ Duchess or Seneca accident at Bendigo around 1992-3. As I recall a student with 19 hours on type was undergoing refresher flying when instructor pulled an engine (throttle or mixture closure) around 100 feet after take off. He wanted the student to bunt over and land on remaining length. Momentary confusion resulted in the instructor taking over control and the aircraft landed heavily with severe damage to one wing. BASIS did not attend the accident due no one hurt and no property damage. I am interested if anyone could add to the description (from memory) of that accident.

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Jan 2009, 10:02
You cataloging idiots, huh?

Jabawocky
5th Jan 2009, 10:42
I think he is training folk not to become future editions of idiots in print......Or some CRM training.

J:ok:

Wally Mk2
5th Jan 2009, 11:41
so far this guy is focusing on twin engined A/C accidents, he's gunna undo all my good work through out PPRUNE:E I guess that's the one good feature of a SE failure, no confusion, yr on yr way down, end of story:}

Wmk2