PDA

View Full Version : Belgium's biggest ever corporate failure

RVR800
7th Nov 2001, 17:27
Sabena's collapse, Belgium's biggest ever corporate failure, was described by employment minister Laurette Onkelinx as "an economic and social disaster" for the country.

Who will supply the country with airline
service now?

The Guvnor
7th Nov 2001, 17:45
Try Virgin Express and every other airline that was already operating to BRU! From the UK, I understand both BD and BE have started or are starting new services to BRU.

If it's viable, someone will fly it. If not... :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

eagerbeaver
7th Nov 2001, 17:51
Was this along time coming or as a direct result or recent international events? I am perplexed how a national carrier can disappear so rapidly. Please enlighten me!

the maker
7th Nov 2001, 18:40
To go bankrupt fast? Hello, 40 years of reported losses, please come on!!
It is a miracle they lasted this long.....

spagiola
7th Nov 2001, 20:57
Yes, it certainly was jarring to read in all the news stories this morning (eg the BBC's) that "Sabena's problems started..." when Swissair defaulted on the planned payment last month. That might have been the coup de grace, but surely the problems started a wee bit earlier?

SimCaptain
7th Nov 2001, 21:44
I remember.....

Flying from BRU to LOS (Lagos) with SABENA. Was invited to sit in the cockpit on a A330 last part of the trip. Really outstanding crew on that flight !

The saying:

"Such A Bad Experience Never Again" lost it's meaning.....

Hopes for the future !

maxalt
8th Nov 2001, 01:52
I heard VLM is set for huge expansion as Belgiums only remaining native airline!

Freddy Van G is rubbing his hands together in anticipation!

:D

Mishandled
8th Nov 2001, 14:17
Could an F50 do BRU-LOS? :)