PDA

View Full Version : Caution: Grumps Need Not View

CityofFlight
3rd Jan 2009, 01:04
What a wonderful, heart warming story.....

The Animal Odd Couple Video - CBSNews.com (http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4696315n)

BombayDuck
3rd Jan 2009, 01:58
:) :) :) :)

Thank you, CoF!

kansasw
3rd Jan 2009, 02:31
Well I'm a certified grump, but this is hard to pass up. YouTube - Crow and Kitten are Friends (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JiJzqXxgxo)

con-pilot
3rd Jan 2009, 02:33
Thank you CoF, my wife has already sent that off to all of our animal lover friends. :ok:

CityofFlight
3rd Jan 2009, 02:50
kansasw, that is a winner too! My 2 yr old cat woke up from a sound nap at hearing the video and sat and looked at the events unfold on my screen.

It's all amazing and further proof that animals are much exceptional than the limitations cast upon them years ago. :ok:

Buster Hyman
3rd Jan 2009, 03:44
Maybe the Elephant sat on the dog & felt guilty about it?:confused:

Lantern10
3rd Jan 2009, 04:31
Charlie the monkey and Pukki the dog.

YouTube - Pukki & Charlie Kok Chang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSqEmN1s8-c)

CityofFlight
3rd Jan 2009, 04:41
I'm not so sure about that monkey! :bored:

ShyTorque
3rd Jan 2009, 06:57
Nice story but what intrigued me most was....they say some owners look like their dogs...it's obviously true in the case of elephants too. The lady in blue with the elephant ears hat!

Gordy
3rd Jan 2009, 07:27
In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University .
On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully.

He got down on one knee and inspected the elephant's foot and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his hunting knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot. The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments. Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away. Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenaged son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were standing. The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter couldn't help wondering if this was the same elephant. Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.

Probably wasn't the same elephant…….

Sorry---couldn't resist....

mustpost
3rd Jan 2009, 07:34
OK
Grump alert
The piece says in the space of three sentences - "Elephant - dog- play together - dog spinal injury"
Is it me or this an obvious one?:confused:

I only post this as I am trying to find the last photos I took of a friend's pet duck and basset hound. They were best friends, and yes played together until the hound accidentally smothered the duck:sad:. Needless to say the hound was heartbroken, pathetically trying to get his late chum to 'wake up':{

angels
3rd Jan 2009, 08:07
I'm sure that Peter Kay makes a cameo appearance advertising Cheerio!!

Howard Hughes
3rd Jan 2009, 08:58
It would appear I am an old softie at heart!:}

airship
3rd Jan 2009, 12:04
I don't believe that symbiotic experiments are a new phenomenon. And though I too shed a tear or 2 with some pleasure whilst watching some of the videos above, what strikes me is that though we readily accept sometimes strange relationships between human-beings and other creatures, we're somehow surprised that similar interractions occur between other creatures...?!

Searching deeply into the 80% of my brain cells that I hardly use these days, I'm suddenly aware that 75 million years or so ago, I might have been a baby Tyrannosaurus Rex or something like that. I remember that I was a lone child (the Chinese cannot be blamed because human-beings weren't around yet) and mum & dad would often leave me alone for several hours at a time (child protection agencies would have had a field day back then too...?). But there was this small colony of what I can only describe as the precursors to modern meerkats who lived in a burrough within a few yards (this was before decimalisation). On a fine day, they'd all come out to bask in the sunshine. Their youngsters would play. And being all alone, I'd join them. The adults treated me with a lot of trepidation at first, but seeing as how I'd just frolick with all the other young'uns, they got used to it all. Mum did spend a lot of time and effort to catch one of them once and offered it to me as food. But I couldn't eat my play-fellow and after a few more failed attempts, stopped hunting them altogether. As for myself, well, I eventually grew up into a fine young dinosaur and when I eventually found a mate and settled down, well, those little mammalian critters always were welcome chez moi. By this time, in addition to keeping the youngsters amused when we were forced to be away, they'd cry out an alarm when predators approached which we could hear at several kilometres' distance and so return at relatively short notice. The word soon went out across the grapevine that these meerkats were a good thang to have around. So, in some ways when looking back at it all, I reckon that us dinosaurs probably safe-guarded the eventual appearance of homo-sapiens. In many ways, I'm only sorry that we're no longer around to truly appreciate the effect on the planet of all those meerkat descendents running amok on the good Earth at this time. Mankind and their crude religions - Jesus was born in a manger. Today, even a supposed shred of a garment worn, the floor upon which He may have once walked etc. are all treated with an almost surrealistic dignity. But who cares anything about the donkeys, sheep, goats, stray cats etc. that were also there that night? But mostly, everyone chooses to ignore what is inconvenient for a modern age.

Ooooops, there I am again. I'm a Neanderthal, part of a clan that have just taken over a newly discovered cave. We had to kill the mother bear, but were able to spare the cubs. They are living amongst us now. When spring comes, we hope they will lead us to where the bees have their hives. And also help us in locating tubers and other roots. Come autumn, the women and children will go out with them to collect berries. In winter, widows and orphans will snuggle up with the bears in our cave. When the bears eventually die, mostly as a result of old age or illness, we remove their skins before burial (but in very hard times, we will also eat of their flesh). Both children and even some adults find great comfort in sleeping under these blankets. The scents of our friends remain with us and accompany us into the dreamtime.

Meow. Meoworrrrrrow.

arcniz
3rd Jan 2009, 20:44
Good run of catnip there, Pleistoscene. A fine antidote, or at least a garnish, to the touchy-feelie sphincterism of some hereabouts.

indiscipline_girl
3rd Jan 2009, 21:31
That is one dumb dog. Reminds me of the adamsons who got eat by their lovely pet lions.

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=kze0e-WSG3Q&feature=related

Say again s l o w l y
3rd Jan 2009, 22:08
The Adamsons weren't eaten by Lions. George Adamson was shot by Somali bandits.

indiscipline_girl
3rd Jan 2009, 22:25
Doh!!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.