PDA

View Full Version : A380 back to A330

dooner
2nd Jan 2009, 18:30
Ok, heard through the Vine that a few A380 drivers are going back to the small-bus fleet and the hour requirements for A380 captain are going to 1500+ on 55T or greater.... what is up their sleeves now!?

Or is this just a way to start the rumour-ball bouncing for the New Year

Dooner:ok:

wizard1
2nd Jan 2009, 18:40
Please clarify - do you only need 1500 hrs on 55t plus to be A380 Capt !

Seems irrelavent - all the guys at EK who would be eligable for transfer would have way more than that amount of time. As regards to being moved back nothing heard from my side ( just brought one back )

fatbus
3rd Jan 2009, 05:13
Except senior cadets , Total command time less than @500 have gone to the 380 .

dooner
3rd Jan 2009, 08:19
Like I said a "rumour-mill special"....

Without a doubt the majority of Captains going across, no issue, however the few National guys already there or about to go......

However it does raise the issue of the FOs whom went across for the "...you will get your upgrade on time on the A380 if you transfer..." policy. I know of one who only has command on a bizjet, lots of FO 330 time, does that mean he will be coming back to the small-bus fleet for his upgrade, which looks even further away than ever.

For their sake I hope this is just another tall-tale which can be put to bed ASAP, however just following the Rumour-mill QRH for the source of the smoke

Dooner:ok:

Flying Spag Monster
3rd Jan 2009, 12:18
No rumour.. there are some quite senior pilots in EK who have been a captain for only about 12 months. These would be previous cadets etc and have transfered to the 380 but now back on the 330 awaiting more command hours. What difference another few hundred hours makes is debatable...

EK Snorkel
3rd Jan 2009, 12:29
he will be coming back to the small-bus fleet for his upgrade

Didn't know EK was operating A320's ;)

goatherd
3rd Jan 2009, 13:55
If true, my guess would be insurance requirements.....

Payscale
6th Jan 2009, 08:39
Safety first. Its not because it a big bird, but because its new aircraft that requires some experience. Not all failures are the ones that can be looked up in a QRH. Well done EK...if it indeed happened.... maybe the should also be an upper age limit ;)

ekwhistleblower
6th Jan 2009, 12:00
If you owned an airline and you bought in a new jet and had some guys that had taken a rally long time to get a command, cadet/passovers would you want them to jump straight to the 380?

I heard one of the guys had no 4 engine experience, never flown NATS and about 300hrs total P1. I think EK have no problems upgrading guys on type or putting experienced commanders onto new aircraft but don't want to do both if they can avoid it. Seems reasonably smart to me but what do I know.