PDA

View Full Version : Freight Charter - UK to Alaska?

snodog
2nd Jan 2009, 17:29
I'm in the early stages of costing a move from the UK to Alaska.

I wonder if anyone could recommend a freight charter company that would be willing to fly 20 dogs into Anchorage, Alaska out of either London or Edinburgh.
Dogs are huskies, average weight 50 pounds.

I'm getting quoted around $1,800 per dog flying as cargo on a pax airliner with BA or KLM.

Thanks

Yorky Towers
2nd Jan 2009, 17:44
Try DHL or FEDEX.

kwren303
2nd Jan 2009, 22:58
also try Northwest, the have a hub in Anc

AircraftOperations
3rd Jan 2009, 15:46
Unless you have any reservations about sending the dogs by scheduled transport, it will cost a lot more to send them by charter.

Unless you were lucky in finding a one-way route, you could be looking at $100,000+ ...depending on size of containers and any other equipment that needed to fly.

It's a long flight and you'd need at least a 737/Electra/Antonov 12 to carry them I'd suspect. And I don't know how easy it is to take those types of aircraft into the USA.

sled dog
5th Jan 2009, 19:29
Snodog, slightly off thread, but you quoted 50 lbs average weight for your dogs. I used to own Siberian Huskies :ok: ( hence user name ) and my dogs weighed in at around 40 KILOS on average.
Good luck anyway.
ps: are you planning to run the Iditarod ?

CR2
5th Jan 2009, 22:35
Try Cargolux LUX-FAI if you get stuck.

Flightwatch
6th Jan 2009, 01:05
Cargolux stopped serving FAI two years ago!

CR2
6th Jan 2009, 02:38
You're kidding.... Everything via GYD now then Flightwatch?

Sorry, been a while since I was at CLX.

BelArgUSA
6th Jan 2009, 02:44
An animal lover and retired pilot...
And happen to own a 5 years old Siberian husky, my "son"... 48 kilos.
Barks in Spanish with Russian accent...
xxx
I would never send my dog in a cage/kennel on a passenger flight.
Simply means the kennel would be in the belly, not nice environment for dog.
It can be very hot or very cold, noisy and dark.
As a pilot, I often saw dogs on the ramp, ready to be loaded.
Really would have taken them out of their little jail, and take them in cockpit.
xxx
Would absolutely suggest to fly the dogs on a "cargo airline"...
Such as Cargolux (was pilot there in 1992 on their 747-200s).
If we had dogs, their cages would be located on forward main deck pallet.
Acceptable temperature, and not pitch dark for them.
For dogs there, would not fail to share my "crew sandwiches" with them.
xxx
My suggestion is send them on a cargo flight.
I said Cargolux... Check also with Gemini, Kalitta, Polar etc.
Hope this fact will be known to dog owners.
Passenger airlines...? No Sir...
If you can't bark at them, bite them, or p*ss on them...!
xxx
Arf...!
:E
Happy contrails

Flightwatch
6th Jan 2009, 15:11
Yes indeed CR2, all (3) flights to KMQ route via GYD on the way out (or recently one a week non-stop) and return via ICN/GYD (2) or HKG/GYD (1). Saves about 2 hours flight time so figure that in U$! Pity really as KMQ have completed their new runway with no weight limit so the tech stop at KHV or CTS on the return to FAI would be unnecessary. I really enjoyed FAI in the summer but you had to be a real enthusiast to thrive there in the winter - even getting the 400 metres to Fred Meyers was a trip to consider in -40C!

Edited to add that KMQ is Komatsu, Japan for the majority outside CLX who have never heard of it (for good reason!).

55yrsSLC_10yearsPPL
6th Jan 2009, 15:16
Get in touch with a reputed international freight forwarder - Grampian International in Aberdeen for instance - who serves the Oil&Gas industry - they are in touch with several freight carriers and can likely offer space on a charter flying this route.
You would need to know weight and volume including kennels and the kennels need to be stackable 2 or three high... and be flexible about actual departure date.
Be sure to be clear about all the customs and veterinary paper work at both ends (and particularly if you intend to return the dogs to UK) and about the quarantine times and costs.

Good luck

merlinxx
6th Jan 2009, 15:25
If you don't know now, you'll never will:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

snodog
6th Jan 2009, 17:22
Thanks for the replies.

Yep, the dogs are Siberians, the bitches are small-ish, none, bigger than 40 lbs, most of my males are between 50 and 55, depending on condition and I have 2 "donkeys" who weigh 65 each.

I have IATA approved varikennels for each dog, these are stackable.

Dog paperwork is all in order, Pet Passports held and we know what the US require to enter.

G&T ice n slice
6th Jan 2009, 21:23
Humm...

Looks to me like only one option to cut down on multiple transshipments
BA London-Seattle
AS Seattle-Anchorage

Means under the floor on the BA sector & then the AS sector is 737-combi

You may find that it is cheaper to arange everything as excess baggage !!
This used to be permitted outbound UK, but NOT inbound.

The only other option is to check with Martinair to see if they are running their "Noah's Ark" operation ((used to run in winter months only AMS-PIK-ANC-HNL-AKL-SYD))

Is this for the Itadrodt (or whatever it's called))
G