PDA

View Full Version : 71 MU, Premier Garage, Bath road Slough??

233SQN
2nd Jan 2009, 14:29
am researching the crash of a P51B Mustang in 1945, near Heston Aerodrome

Amongst the accident report paperwork I have is a memo to 71 MU, Premier Garage, Bath road Slough. They were responsible for collecting and disposing of the wreckage.

I found this article on the net which was of interst....

during 1942 the RAF set up a maintenance depot ( 71 MU ) about a mile up the road towards Slough at a place called the Premier Garage Their job was crane driving and they used to travel all over the area to pick up the remains of crashed aircraft and bring them back to the depot to see what could be salvaged, what was of no use was taken to a dump/breakers yard about half a mile down the Upton Court Road, this was not manned or guarded in any way so as an adventure playground for young boys it was superb, by the end of the war I had ‘flown’ Spitfires, Hurricanes, Me 109s, Dornier, Wellington, Halifax and Lancaster bombers and fired all the turret guns in American B17s

can anyone give me a more exact address/location of Premier Garage or the breakers yard in Upton Court Road?

thanks and happy new year

Tyres O'Flaherty
2nd Jan 2009, 18:15
71 mu ended up at RAF Bicester, I know not when though.

Sorry, not that relevant to your q probably :)

Atcham Tower
2nd Jan 2009, 18:33
From Slough, 71 MU moved to RAF Little Horwood, Bucks on 10/7/46 then to Bletchley and disbanded on 15/11/47. Reformed at Bicester 15/12/53. Not much help either, sorry!

gas path
2nd Jan 2009, 20:11
Can't help either, but try Contact Slough Museum (http://www.sloughmuseum.co.uk/contactus.htm)

FAL
2nd Jan 2009, 22:43
An address "Bath Road, Slough" (the A4, but not sure whether it retains that number today) could have been adjacent to the Hawker factory at Langley or could equally have been the other side of Slough on the Trading Estate. The "Bath Road" normally means the London to Bath road so does not necessarily place it west of Slough towards Bath.
Upton is about half a mile south of the centre of Slough as it then was ie. about half a mile from the Bath Road.
I can just about recall Slough pre-M4 and I think there was a garage near where the M4 junction to the east of Slough now is ie. near the Hawker, later Ford factory (and small airfield). (wasn't Pathfinder Bennett flying large British South American Airways aircraft out of Langley to Heathrow just down the road at one time?)

beamender99
2nd Jan 2009, 23:34
Also on Google but not able to display contents.
might help?

Maintenance Command - Jul 1942 (http://www.rafweb.org/Members%20Pages/ORBs/1942/1942_07_Maintenance.htm)
No 71 Maintenance Unit, The Premier Garage, Bath Road, Slough. No 75 Maintenance Unit, Wilmslow, Manchester. No 78 Maintenance Unit, Pencoed Tinplate Works, ...
www.rafweb.org/Members%20Pages/ORBs/1942/1942_07_Maintenance.htm - 47k -