PDA

View Full Version : Etihad Pilot Recruitment & Housing

Boeing 777-300ER
2nd Jan 2009, 13:40
Happy New Year to all.

Can someone please shed some light on the current recruitment situation and what the plans are for this year, particularly on the Airbus 320 fleet?

Another question is regarding housing. Any new developments with regards to new villas and in what area of AUH.

Thanks and best wishes to all.

VARIG737
2nd Jan 2009, 21:42
I read on the "Etihad flight operations guide for potential pilot applicants" that the standard accommodation from july 2008 onwards will be apartments untill the Etihad compound is complete. Any news on completion date and how many villas/flats will be available?

Rgds

Varig

Laker
6th Jan 2009, 01:26
They currently have a pool and are assigning class dates to those who successfully interviewed between Oct-Dec. I imagine they will have to start interviewing again in a few months. My guess would be that the next batch to interview will receive class dates sometime around June to September....

cesarericci
6th Jan 2009, 07:41
Hi VARIG,
can you tell where to find the "Etihad flight operations guide for potential pilot applicants"?
I've sent application to EK EY and QR and I hope to have the chance to be assested for a job..
Does anybody know the compound where crew are living in QR and EY? Any internet link where to get an idea of the type of places the companies offers to pilots?
Thanks Cesare

AFD
6th Jan 2009, 09:07
cesare you have a private message check it
ciao

Boeing 777-300ER
6th Jan 2009, 09:28
Hi everyone

Would greatly appreciate and links or photos of the accommodation being offered or about to be offered to EY pilots.

Thanks in advance

Togalk
6th Jan 2009, 18:10
You will be offered a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. Thats it.

goeasy
7th Jan 2009, 05:53
Its next to Musaffa, SMBZ City. If you ask people who live there, you will get a reasonably positive response. Unlike all the plonkers who dont live there, but choose to rubbish it.

I think the location is great. Mid-way from city to airport. Well out of most of the trafic hassles. Facilities within are great, and the shopping centre next door will top it off. And when the labour camp next door becomes the golf course, I think SMBZ will be reasonably sought after.

Apart from all that, I dont want to live in an apartment!!!! :bored:

Nightfire
7th Jan 2009, 08:08
IMHO, Musaffah is excellent. It's new, it's clean, it's safe, you have allocated basement-parking plus additional spaces available, kids can play outside, and it takes 15 minutes to the airport.
A new shopping mall is about to open next doors, as is a Carrefour about 10 minutes away. And since everyone has a car anyway, I don't really mind having to drive a bit until I reach the city centre - I only need to go there perhaps twice a week anyway.
You have swimming-pool and gym for free on the compound.

Yes, the buildings are not up to European standard, but honestly: so what. It's perfectly liveable.

I wanted a villa when I first arrived in AUH, but actually I'm now quite happy with what I've got.

Boeing 777-300ER
7th Jan 2009, 14:23
May I please enquire whether Etihad has any plans of building any compound villas or stand alone villas?

I read a local newspaper over the internet that Etihad is building 'Etihad Village' around Al Raha (wherever that may be). Is this village just apartments or will it compromise of villas? I am asking as I have two kids and without sounding bad I can't see us living in an apartment.

Any help and feedback in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

sec 3
7th Jan 2009, 14:53
As long as the current management is in place, pilots will never see any decent housing. Up to this point, all the desireable housing has been given to middle managers( who number in the thousands) and cabin crew. To give you an example how pilots rate in the big scheme of things at EY, there was recently a big awards gala at the Emirates Palace. Everybody and his dog won an award, except, you guessed it, any line pilots. Were there even any pilots invited? Don't think so:bored:

cayenne
7th Jan 2009, 16:42
It is just typical of this management. They could have hundreds of decent villa's all over Khalifa, but they don't want to spend the money. I guess they didn't think the airline would still be operating 5 years later because there was NO PLANNING. Yes, there are a few guys who want to live in an apartment, and they are probably happy. (Actually they are just happy to finally be out of a hotel). What they are doing is building housing "projects" in the middle of no where. Etihad village is at the very end of Khalifa A across the street from the training building, right next to the airport. The other housing project is in Mussaffah, and that one they stumbled across because no one else wanted to live there. Some staffers found it, and within their funding and then ETIHAD HOUSING went there took the lot of them and paid 20 percent more than everyone else. TYPICAL!!! No one is demanding luxury 5 bedroom villa's with rec centre's. All we want is a place to let our children play and a little outside area. Lets compare this to Silicone Oasis......pools, grass, utilities paid, parking, stores, coffee shops, parks. Etihad, "Worlds Best Airline". Just keep telling yourselves that.

Togalk
7th Jan 2009, 17:30
It depends. I don't know about an apartment, but a villa with A/C and a little grass (you have to pay for water for the grass) about 1500 + DHS a month.

ferhankaka
8th Jan 2009, 11:10
haha...captain needs more fuel...and now captain needs more rooms! lol! (atleast that is what i have been hearing from people)

I guess most FOs and Captains shud be happy with even getting an accomodation for free in AUH. EY is doing resonably well in accomodation. If they offer an FO a 2 bed then i wonder what they would offer Operations Officers ( dispatchers)?

AUH is a hell within a heaven. If u dont make more then 10,000$ + accomodation, u cant live there. and even if u are willing to pay in access of 150,000AED + u really cant find a decent accomodation. And this out weighs all the benefits of well paved roads, and extra green lawns!

:ugh::rolleyes::E

Sir Osis of the river
8th Jan 2009, 11:47
In a villa,

Max monthly bill, (One month in a year), was just over aed1500. Lowest in winter was aed350. Probably averages at about aed1000.

That includes electricity and water. (Water is minimal, even having to water my "little grass")

Gas is seperate. an external cylinder is aed 22 and lasts about 3 months.

Severely Jetlagged
8th Jan 2009, 13:07
For an apartment my bills vary between DHS 120-320 a month for electricity, gas and water depending on the time of year.

Oh and Fernhakaka some of our Ops staff stay in the same buildings in the same apartments as the pilots also free of charge.

woofer
8th Jan 2009, 13:22
Can anybody shed some light about availability of villas in the near future? As I understand, villas are not available at present.

What will Etihad Village comprise?

Stuka Luva
10th Jan 2009, 18:15
Hey everyone, I'm currently in the pool thinking about maybe a May start date or so. Can anyone fill me in on what the pet policy is for the EY company housing? My wife and i have two cats and we would really like to bring them.

Thanks

Togalk
10th Jan 2009, 20:51
Pets are not a problem, but it might be allot of grief to get them into the country. I am not sure though.

daviddea
11th Jan 2009, 20:47
I am just about through the process of getting my dogs to Abu Dhabi. 2 Vet clinics will do all the work but charge quite a bit for footwork you can do yourself no biggie just a few steps to go through. Online web site directs you.

Stuka Luva
11th Jan 2009, 21:43
Thanks for the information guys... and your two dogs are for the company provided housing as opposed to a villa or some place you are getting on your own?

Boeing 777-300ER
18th Jul 2009, 08:47
may I please ask any EY pilot of any new developments in the housing department. I read somewhere in Pprune that in the near future the Mussafah apartments will be full.

Any information will be greatly appreciated

Chandler Bing
18th Jul 2009, 10:24
insh allah

Nightfire
18th Jul 2009, 14:04
Musaffah apartments have been filled up months ago!
With the present utility costs, there are even people with villas trying to find someone in Musaffah to swap with. You won't get a flat there in a hurry.
Three weeks ago, when I last asked, there were three villas available immediately, but no (good) flats.
Anyway, you don't have much choice in where you want to move; it's up to the company, and they'll put you wherever they want. You may be lucky or unlucky.

LimaVictor
19th Jul 2009, 05:47
The best option is to grab the housing allowances money and find yourself a place in Dubai. Prices went really down since last year, and with the money EY gives, you sure find sth nice.
Driving time from say Dubai Marina to AUH airport is plus/minus 1 hr, not much more than from AUH city centre to the airport on a week day.

tonker
19th Jul 2009, 18:04
Thanks for a good thread gents, factual and positive aren't always two words i'd use for some PPRUNE threads but this is one.

How do folks with families see life at Etihad? I have looked at some of the schools but only from a web point of view, how do they stack up? What is the life like for wives? Time off between flights etc?

Any info to my questions would be greatly appreciated. PM me if so required.

Regards Tonker(hope to see you all soon)

qualitycontrol
21st Jul 2009, 18:21
Can anyone on the A320 fleet give me a rough idea of work pattern/days off/nightstops etc please?

Cheers in advance.

Chandler Bing
21st Jul 2009, 18:40
night stops on A320 ?

You funny guys

tonker
22nd Jul 2009, 08:15
I take it all back!:rolleyes:

djuggler
22nd Jul 2009, 11:07
Heard that EY housing is negotiating for 100 units of villas in Al Reef. If this is true, then it's good news for EY pilots.

syedo
24th Jul 2009, 19:09
Hi guys,

My very 1st post on this website as i've just registered as a member...:O
just wanna add some extra sugar on what other ppl said bout the said apartments above.
It's for me and my family, even some of my friends that came over, a nice and comfortable place to dwell in. A compounded area with securities, facilities such as swimming pools, fully equipped gyms, tennis court, basketball court, and plenty of playgrounds for the kids are just few, not to mentioned mall next door. Musaffah town, 5 min drive from the apartments, wasnt that bad at all....
Driving to work, its 15 mins without seeing any traffic lights!! so u can plan when u wanna be at the briefing room quite precisely.
Living in Abu Dhabi, or UAE generally is not as bad as some ppl said. Keep your head low, do your job safely and as per SOP, avoid any hussle with the local laws, and wash your car once a week (they do fine ppl with "sand-camouflage" cars..;)) and make sure your wife and kids are happy at home, then I can see no problems at all.... of course there will be times when your patience is tested to the limit, but try to find a way to solved it without having to loose your cannon...
sorry, i wrote too much...probably too excited to see how's my 1st post gonna look like...ahahaha... massalamah!!

Chandler Bing
25th Jul 2009, 05:45
Al Reef, hum ?
500 feet intial climb Rwy 31R.... wonder how many departure at 2 AM will wake us up every night, unless you are flying every night at 2 AM, but your family won't....

djuggler
25th Jul 2009, 07:28
Al Reef is not in the flight path of AUH airport, it's about 3-5km alongside of the new rwy, so it should be okay. ATC never gives 500 ft initial climb on any rwys, well at least in my 3 yrs experience in EY. Even before they implemented the new SIDs, it has always been 3000 ft A31/A13 dep. And they don't tell you to initiate a 90 degree turn below 1000 AGL, so relax, i think it should be okay, yah?

fly66
25th Jul 2009, 07:52
Can anyone on the A320 fleet give me a rough idea of work pattern/days off......need help to take two marvelous golden retrievers to AUH..
Thanks

huncowboy
30th Aug 2009, 14:48
It would be cool if some of you guys could post some pictures, or links to pictures, of the apartments/villas. I have seen one from a friend of a friend, and it looked just fine. I would like to see more. Also are there specific areas of the city, where the apartments are located at? If so, which ones?

High 6
31st Aug 2009, 07:06
Al Reef Villas should not be too bad from a aircraft noise perspective, as long as we can keep the Russian built diesel aircraft away.

Friends of mine living in Mirdif in Dubai which is right on the approach path are only rattled, literrally, when a heavy Antonov or such like, takes off with TOGA plus vodka additives.

Me thinks the noise from the all too frequent accidents on the Mafraq freeway would be more bothersome. Al Reef will be very handy to work, especially when the new terminal gets built, Inshallah in the next 2-3 years.

kay lo dee
31st Aug 2009, 23:20
Just trying to play catch up on this massive thread.

Given the following qual's;
Current Capt A320(with a soon to be defunct HKG based airline) with more than 1000hrs on type
TT 9000+ hrs
Typed on A330 (2000+hrs) and B744 (2000+hrs)

Q Are DEC's being entertained at present A320/A330?
Q Would the above experience "tickle the interest" compared to recent hires?
Q What would be the average stick hrs/month you could expect?
Q What is the standard of schooling comparable to (UK/Aust/NZ as a baseline)?
Q Is Annual leave 42 Calender days or 42 work days (ie does your leave include mandatory days off/month)?
Q What are the staff travel benefits?
Q What are the A320 roster patterns like (overnights, days off, reserve)?

Any and all comments (constructive) welcomed

Cheers
KLD

saviboy
1st Sep 2009, 02:57
kay lo dee,
hi
first of all I dont work at EY.
however I know a guy who is in the DEC holding pool for the 320/
I believe (to be confirmed) that you could be considered for a DEC 320 position but not the 330 unless you are current on the 330.
what i know is that there is currently a pool of DEC (at least 11 maybe more) who has (have?) been waiting for almost a year for some of them.
The latest they heard was that they might get an invitation next year but nothing in 2009.
good luck to you

Fubaliera
1st Sep 2009, 07:41
Is Dragon Air gonna close or completley merge with cathay, air china

kay lo dee
1st Sep 2009, 10:51
Saviboy, cheers for the info,

Fubaliera a bit of both

Severely Jetlagged
1st Sep 2009, 15:05
Kay lo Dee

To try and answer your questions

No
No
Best for someone on the A320 to answer
Schooling very comparable but originally quite restricted on choice and numbers. Is improving every year as more schools come online.
42 calender days
Personally, I think our staff travel is probably one of the best out there
Again someone on A320 will have to answer that

astronaute
3rd Sep 2009, 11:30
EY staff travels are a **** ! We have only one leaves ticket a year, the rest are useless ID90,ID50 or Z Tickets !

You never know if you will be at AUH in time for your next duty !

NTM
3rd Sep 2009, 15:12
**** ?? Maybe not the best, but not ****..
I have experienced a few different ones and the EY is not that bad.
I never had a problem with ID 50/90. Never used ZED.
Name an airline, anywhere in the world, that provides more than one leave ticket per year. Anywhere ??

Later,

huncowboy
3rd Sep 2009, 15:18
During my regional pilot life at one point I had travel benefits on United Airlines, Delta Airlines, American Airlines, USAir and Continental Airlines. All at the same time. Delta was the best, but none of them gave a confirmed ticket.

ShirleyNot
3rd Sep 2009, 15:37
Name an airline, anywhere in the world, that provides more than one leave ticket per year. Anywhere ??

Amazingly... Gulf air do. 1 to home and 1 anywhere on the network (including Baghdad):\

iflysky
3rd Sep 2009, 17:08
And, let's not forget that besides the travel benefits, EY is one of the few airlines in ME that has cockpit jumpseat privelages for flight deck members.
Travel benefits are good, in my opinion, and I worked for a fair share of carriers in US and abroad.

astronaute
3rd Sep 2009, 17:30
You get a jumpseat on the cockpit, only ,if you are an EY pilot ( NA for flight to UK,US and Canada ).:mad:

LH, for instance ,gives cockpit jumpseats for any airlines pilot !

And in Spain, you got a jumpseat in any airlines, just showing your pilot licence ! ( for free !!!!) :rolleyes:

NTM
3rd Sep 2009, 20:27
So EY gives cockpit jumpseat to EY pilot only, therefore their staff travel is ****.. You are right !!

The restrictions to the UK, US and Canada are put on by these respective countries, not EY.
Dont know about Spain and LH.

Sorry I forgot about GF and the 2nd leave ticket. I should know...

Later,

Matt101
3rd Sep 2009, 21:00
ST at EY is faarrrr better than at BA for example, which has a similar if not more stringent cockpit jumpseat policy.

saviboy
4th Sep 2009, 15:15
Some people will just never be happy with what they have

iflysky
4th Sep 2009, 18:54
Hey Savi I agree. Oh and I like this one too, "but at this company it was like this and like that", kinda like "this one time at band camp". Get off your high horse, or climb back under your rock.

roll_over
5th Sep 2009, 08:03
Only problem I have with travel is those ridiculous smiley faces, other than that it is fine, oh apart from the fact that a flight to the UK costs so much more thanks to the tax:rolleyes:

Jet II
5th Sep 2009, 11:40
oh apart from the fact that a flight to the UK costs so much more thanks to the tax

There's not much tax going to the the UK - there's a massive amount when you come back from it though ;)

woofer
5th Sep 2009, 12:50
Is this thread about Staff travel or Etihad recruitment and housing?

frankbama
6th Sep 2009, 17:44
I have friends who Love Musaffah. The kids really seem to enjoy it as well. If you don't want to live out there take the allowance and do your own thing.
Flew in the States over 12 years and NEVER had a Tkt confirmed, not to mention if you want to do ID 50 it is a confirmed seat. How is that ****?? There may be things to complain about but I would not say staff travel is one.

a4mrav8r
8th Sep 2009, 13:57
Sorry to redirect but does anyone know what the delivery schedule is like over the next 12 - 24 months? Thanks for any info.

Cheers

saviboy
8th Sep 2009, 14:06
it was supposed to be 2 in 2010. but a friend of mine was told in training a few days ago that they are expecting 4 for 2010.

AFD
8th Sep 2009, 20:40
which kind of plane savi?

saviboy
8th Sep 2009, 21:44
it was supposed to be:

1 340-600 in august
1 340-600 in sept
1 320 in oct
1 320 in nov
1 320, 1 777 and 1 330-300 in dec

I read all over the internet recently that they are getting 3 more 320's in 2009.

I don t know the breakdown for 2010 but it was supposed to be 2. I read that EY was supposed to get at least 1 330-200f next year.

However, my friend was told 4 more to come in 2010. I didn t get a chance to talk to him again. so I don t know which aircraft it will be.

by the way since the thread is about ey recruitment and housing my friend is staying in the building next to the training center. it was still in construction in december when i went there.

AFD
9th Sep 2009, 13:40
the august 346 is effectively arrived on august 19th
if your figures are correct i think that will be a good news
ciao
afd

a4mrav8r
9th Sep 2009, 13:53
Saviboy,

Many thanks for the information breakdown by type. Best wishes. :ok:

primeco
11th Sep 2009, 11:28
Hey guess. Just looking for some info on EY hiring. I know the website says that looking for type rated guys, but does any one know if they have been prone to take on guys with out type ratings? Kindly assist.cheers

Harlem
11th Sep 2009, 11:38
Saviboy, are you sure that EY is going to operate that A330-200F? I´m not sure about that... and someone told that was going to be an -300F.

saviboy
13th Sep 2009, 13:34
hi harlem
I dont think the 330-300F is on the drawing board yet. might be soon according to this article. if you read at the end of the article you ll see that etihad is supposed to get the 1st 330-200f in july 2010.

AA09: Airbus sees 'serious interest' in A330-300 freighter conversion (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/09/08/331979/aa09-airbus-sees-serious-interest-in-a330-300-freighter.html)

Harlem
14th Sep 2009, 07:53
Hi Saviboy, you are right about -200F!!! I´m sorry.

Do you think Crystal Cargo is going to change their A300-600 or to increase its fleet with the new A330-200F??

st patrick
14th Sep 2009, 08:22
Fellas, you are going well wide of the mark!!!!
I put in an application to EY last week. I have been to AUH several times, so am familiar with some of the areas etc.What I would like to know is
1.Where are 320 Capts with a family living?
2. Any chance of a sample roster?
3. Accomodation - Villa or Apt?
4. Are utilities paid?
5.Is roster a bid system?
6.Interview process?

A lot to ask I know, but thanks in advance!:ok:

Pat

INLAK
14th Sep 2009, 19:11
Pat,
Going on Wednesday/Thursday?

st patrick
15th Sep 2009, 13:43
Absoluuuuuutly!!!!!!! as CW would say!:}

Laker
15th Sep 2009, 15:19
is etihad interviewing for DEC's? Which fleet?

saly4
16th Sep 2009, 01:48
Yeah .......... EY Roadshow in Dublin this week looking for DEC from Airlingus:ok:

AFD
16th Sep 2009, 09:19
i know that there're still few cpt in the 320 holding pool,interviewed last year,what about them? are they gonna be given a class date?

JetFO
18th Sep 2009, 04:38
Hi,

Can anyone give an idea of what the roster is like for the A330 at EY ?

JetFO
18th Sep 2009, 04:59
Just saw EY346Driver's post.

JetFO
18th Sep 2009, 22:55
Can anybody give some updated info on the recruitment process, I've seen a lot for QR, but haven't found much for EY.

Thanks,

JF

airsnapper
21st Sep 2009, 05:03
Hi JetFO,

Have been through the EY recuiting process.

Day one:

-Security form to be filled.
-English exam - no real problem if you are a native english speaker
-Tech quiz - Tech quiz is also a General knowledge exam so know the capital cities of countries that EY goes to and also countries around the vicinity of UAE. If you have the notes for the Qatar tech quiz you will be close. Try also to track down a copy of "Etihad Air Law sample questions" as a lot of the tech questions are contained in that.
-Interview - afternoon. Need to know your own aircraft type knowledge very well and the HR questions require a little thought.

You will be told at the end of the day whether you have been successful and will move onto day 2.

Day 2 :

Sim Ride - Standard sim check. Other posts have described this very well so i will not elaborate.

Day 3 :

Medical.

A challenging process so good luck.

FFG
22nd Sep 2009, 01:59
no DEC for interviews for a while at this stage

Would you be able to be more specific ? Or "for a while" is all you know at this stage ?

Could you as well explain us how the staff travel scheme is working ?

Thanks.

JetFO
22nd Sep 2009, 22:25
Thanks for the info snapper.

JF

AFD
23rd Sep 2009, 20:12
a new A346 delivered today

Airbus A340 -642 1040 A6-EHL Etihad Airways delivery 23sep09 TLS-AUH ex F-WWCH

Expat Pilot
13th Jun 2011, 22:16
Does anyone here know about the recruitment process at Etihad? I am a 757 Captain in China and looking for more of a career rather than a contract.

Thanks.