PDA

View Full Version : Vale Ted Lang

Dick N. Cider
2nd Jan 2009, 10:20
All,

For those that haven't heard through the grapevine, ATC royalty in Australia, Edward Roley Roy (Ted) Lang passed away on the eve of the New Year after an all too short illness. Ted didn't want those around him to be upset on his behalf. He opted for quality of life rather than quantity. Those who know him will well recognise this as being one of the core values of the man.

Ted was well known in many fora, familiar to virtually all ATCs across Australia and, through his attendance at many IFATCA conferences, many others across the world. Many of our airborne fraternity may also remember Ted as spokesperson for ATC and Pilot associations during the NAS debate and eventual roll back of NAS2B in Australia.

Ted was responsible for the success of many a trainee over the years through his professionalism and unstinting devotion to the welfare of those entrusted into his care. Whether we reflect on his time within the RAAF, Flight Service or ATC, as a boggy controller or President of the ATC association, Ted will be long remembered and often missed. Even in the last few months he has been raising money to help those who suffer during natural disasters.

Ted wasn't a saint. Who amongst us is? He was however quite simply the gentleman's gentleman. (Thank you for that comment Trunky) He genuinely cared for those around him and did his best to help, despite the burden that often placed upon him. To the end he was working for others. At the last this was for the greatest love of his life, his family. Ted wanted everything in ship shape order for those he left behind.

Ted is survived by his amazing wife Jenny, his son Bray and daughter Amy.

A funeral service will be held at:

Salvation Army
32-54 Hayward Street,
Stafford, Queensland, 4054

on Friday 9 Jan at 11:00am local.

I, like many, feel a great sadness at his passing. For all of us who have benefited from knowing this man I bid him safe journey.

Rest in peace my friend.

DNC

TrafficTraffic
2nd Jan 2009, 11:07
A gentleman and a scholar. Always good for a laugh and a wise word...

Rest in peace

TT

man on the ground
2nd Jan 2009, 12:11
A great colleague, a mentor, and a friend.

A Civil Air legend, and active in the IFATCA community.

He will be missed.

RIP Ted

make-mine-a-Coopers
2nd Jan 2009, 21:43
I first met Ted when I was a youthful and callow ATC trainee whilst in the deep north a few decades ago now. A finer, a truer and a more complete gentleman you could not hope to meet.

Rest In Peace, mate.

Spodman
2nd Jan 2009, 23:27
Best feedback, (and #2 most amusing), I ever had in a training session was from Ted: "**** Spod! This is boring, f%$k something up so I've got something to write about." From memory I delivered fairly promptly...

An absolutely luverly bloke whose leadership and effort helped make the course in Tassie bearable. He was my senior instructor and really put in for us, reflected in the pass rate! The senior instructor is supposed to give a talk at the start of the course to indicate what the review and appeal process is if the chopper falls. I don't think he could bring himself to be that negative about things, and one of the other senior instructors, (a reptilian type who obviously enjoyed such things), did it for him. He seemed genuinely upset when some of us struggled, and genuinely jubilant at the successful (for most) conclusion.

Thank you for your exemplary efforts on behalf of us all in the Union and elsewhere.

I will hold dear memories of Ted. My sincere condolences and best wishes to Jen and their children. I can't imagine what you are feeling right now.

Why is a nice bloke like that no longer with us, and c@#ts like TFN & RHS still slithering around???

Chopa
3rd Jan 2009, 00:52
From across the ditch, Ted was one of the good guys, he attended numerous conferences in Un Zud and we all enjoyed his company immensely.

We will be the poorer for his passing.

RIP mate.

max1
3rd Jan 2009, 01:10
I'm gutted, one of the nicest people I've ever met. RIP.

AdrianDumsa
3rd Jan 2009, 06:39
My sincere condolences to Ted's family.

During my time in Canberra, Ted's path crossed mine on more than a few occasions - and whilst we may have disagreed on some matters, Ted was NEVER disagreeable in the process. As most have already said - a gentleman - and a gentle man - to engage and work with.

I was aware of his illness - but thought it was further in the background - he and I spoke only recently as he was leaving for Oman and he indicated things were progressing well. I am truly and deeply sorry to hear that he lost the battle....

Blockla
3rd Jan 2009, 16:42
I am truly saddened by this news and wish I could be in attendance to say good by to my mate.

I knew Ted since from the training college in Launceston and we crossed paths on numerous occasions in the lead up to us both being on the Civil Air national executive; some 18 years...

We both served in various roles on the NE. We had numerous victories and many loses during that time.

Under Ted's tutelage victories were celebrated well, loses in similarly commiserated; all the while scrutinised by the VPF!

Ted, I remember the battles, I was your hatchet man, a role I took with gusto (probably reflected in Adrian's above comments), leaving you the presidential approach. Watching you 'press conference' the media (mongrel) attack pack for 30 minutes and subsequently getting 3 words on the evening news (bastards...)

I will remember forever the beach bungalow in Cancun; the negotiations with taxi drivers and the 'vort meilleur vin rogue s'il vous plait' and drinking the $.75 cent 'bottle' that followed in Marrakech and our many "well what should I do" conversations.

To Jen, Amy and Bray may you be consoled in the knowledge that Ted was a true gent and greatly respected, my heart goes out to you all in this time of sadness and loss.

See ya Mmmmmaaaaaaatttttteeeeeeeee!

QSK?
3rd Jan 2009, 18:17
Very sad news indeed.

Thanks for the great memories Ted and my life has certainly been enrichened for having known you. My sincere condolensces to all the family.

Desertgirl
4th Jan 2009, 02:35
This is incredibly sad news. The world is a poorer place for Ted's passing. I can well imagine he will be so sorely missed by the ATCs and Civil Air. I first met Ted many a long year ago, back in Flight Service days of the early 80s. Spodman, your reminisence of Ted brought a smile to my face, that was just so Ted. :)

I went through some old photos and found this shot (http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o265/Desertgirl44/?action=view&current=GraduationdinnerTedLang.jpg) which, to me, sums up Ted. It was taken by my ex-husband at his ATC graduation dinner in Melbourne, 1992. This is how I willl always remember a very lovely man, a true gentleman.

Here's another photo (http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o265/Desertgirl44/?action=view&current=ATCST75formal1990.jpg) of Ted, this time with ATC Short Term Course 75 of 1990. Look carefully and you'll spot the Milky Bar Kid, now GM ATC.

http://www.pprune.org/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o265/Desertgirl44/GraduationdinnerTedLang.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://www.pprune.org/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o265/Desertgirl44/GraduationdinnerTedLang.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://www.pprune.org/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o265/Desertgirl44/GraduationdinnerTedLang.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

89 steps to heaven
5th Jan 2009, 00:24
I did not want to believe the news when the flash was sent out. My thoughts go out to Jenny and the family.

I worked with Ted as an ATC and in Civil Air. Others have said it, but he was a gentleman. I had a dig through my photo album and found this pic of Ted from 2002. If anyone else has a photo memory they would like to share, please email it to me.

http://www.tropicalwebdesign.com.au/ted.jpg

Rest in peace mate.

ATC Watcher
6th Jan 2009, 09:17
Shocked to hear this. I did not know he was sick. My sincere condolances to his familly. What a loss !

Ted and I shared some " wine stories" in the many IFATCA conferences we attended all those last years. The first photo posted by Desertgirl , with the smile, the raised fist and the bootle of wine on the foreground also sums it up for me : A true well mannered and spirited man, who loved a fight with management and enjoyed his wine.
We' ll miss you mate...
I will open a good bottle tonight and will raise a toast to you .

Philippe

Willoz269
6th Jan 2009, 23:44
Farewell Teddles, truly sad to hear of your departure....and NO, I will not forget the things you tought me, above all, how to keep the chin up and never give up.

OzATC
7th Jan 2009, 03:30
Ted will always be remembered with a smile on his face, a beer in his hand and the love for his family in his heart.
A never forgotten colleague and friend.:D

pukeko
7th Jan 2009, 08:36
Such sad news....
Thanks for the photo, 89. That easy broad smile, the beer in his hand - just the way I saw him many times, in many parts of the world.
A true pleasure to have known him.
He'll be truly, sadly missed.
Condolences to all.

Philthy
10th Jan 2009, 02:03
I add my name to those mourning Ted's passing. A true gentleman who will be missed. Goodbye, Ted!

Steam-Driven
10th Jan 2009, 04:31
At Journey's End...

Regrettably, I could not be there in Brisbane to help Celebrate your life, and Mourn your passing, my old Mate, but I shared the moment with you by going to the top of the mountain here in northern Honshu during the time of your funeral.

A glorious morning...You would have well approved...Brilliant Winter Sun, SKC, Snow as far as the eye could see...

Strangely enough, by nightfall, the weather had turned to heavy overcast, steady snow, and now a virtual blizzard condition...

The world is a little colder place for your passing, our friend...

Fly Safe...

LB

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/danielduvall/IMG_1762jpgmodPprune.jpg

Dick N. Cider
10th Jan 2009, 04:39
Yesterday (January 9) friends, family and colleagues farewelled Ted at a moving funeral ceremony here in Brisbane.

Attended by well over 400, the service was warm, inclusive and like Ted himself at times irreverent. There were tales of Ted's misdemeanours and indiscretions but always focussed upon celebrating the genuine joie de vivre that marked Ted to everyone who knew him. We laughed, wept and most importantly reflected upon how lucky we were to have known him. Ted and Jenny's family gave readings and the eulogy, followed by a heart wrenching tribute from Ted's and Jenny's son Bray on behalf of himself and his sister Amy to the wonderful Dad they were lucky enough to have had, and will always remember. Dry eyes were not in abundance.

During the service family photos of Ted and friends (in which his international friends featured heavily) the Ted we all knew beamed out at us with his characteristic ear to ear grin, accompanied at times by a glass and/or cigar in hand. Emails from friends were read and some tributes from the floor followed before Ted's body was bid farewell for cremation. Many proceeded to Ted's local golf club for the 1st wake over which much conversation and reminiscing brought Ted back to life for us (perhaps lubricated by one or two ales).

As the sun began to set Jenny invited the crowd back to Ted and Jenny's home for a meal and time to celebrate further. The evening went late and moved into "Red for Ted" (red wine) mode fairly rapidly. It was typical of the hospitality Ted and his family have shown to so many of us over the years. For those that don't know Ted's neighbourhood was devastated on November 22 by a localised tornado that destroyed or severely damaged most homes in the area. In the midst of condemned and damaged homes Casa d' Lang has been a sanctuary for many. Despite the damage of their own home, Ted and Jenny have been helping neighbours, tradesmen and emergency services workers in any way they can since the storm. To this end Ted, together with the Salvation Army, has been raising money to provide a catering van that, in times of disaster, can be used to help those facing loss of homes, possessions and loved ones. I will post a link to the fund here shortly for those who might like to contribute. Much of the discussion during the night covered the work Ted has done for so many others and the need for us to continue it in his memory.

For those who were able to be there it helped us to understand why we feel so much pain at Ted's passing and to some extent helped the healing begin. For the many friends who were unable to attend, you know that Ted would not hold it against you. We saw him off in a style that he would have appreciated and I'm sure that he is in your thoughts where ever you may be.

Fare well Ted. Thanks for the memories and showing us what we can be if we set our minds to it.

DNC

TwoFiftyBelowTen
10th Jan 2009, 11:49
Nice innings, Digger, although the umpy gave you out way before your time.....

Can't help thinking that an old actor from the Westerns wasn't there to greet him, shake his hand, and say, "Well that'll be enough a' your im-per-son-a-tions then, Pilgrim...."

Binoculars
16th Jan 2009, 14:11
I rarely log into these parts anymore, which is why I am late finding out about Ted's passing. Desertgirl's course photo in 1990 had me scratching my head until I realised he must have been there as an instructor, because I know I trained him on SMC in BN Tower in 1983, and therein lies a faintly interesting story.

There was a Senior Tower Controller at that time who didn't have a great deal of time for ex-FSO's (of which I was one btw) and he gave Ted a hard time for having awful trouble saying the wind on the ATIS as 050 degrees 15. Ted seemed to have it in his mind that the word knots had to appended, and the STC involved was almost ready to give him the boot for this stupendous failure.

I took Ted down to the Hammo one day after work and we had a bit of a chat about things. He was delightfully honest in admitting he was no ace and was struggling with the tower environment. I went home and printed out a sheet of about two hundred wind values and told him to come to work half an hour early the next day, when we went through every item until he finally stopped his automatic impulse to append "knots" to everything.

He got through his tower training with a grudging pass from the STC concerned and as far as I know steered clear of towers for the rest of his career. The irony of course lies in the fact that the powers that be, in their desire to harmonise with ICAO, overnight introduced a change that specified the word "knots" must be appended to all wind values. Ted made a point of emailing me with the change, and we had a good laugh about it.

The point? I don't know, I'm still coming to terms with somebody being given out so early in his career when he had so much to offer as a man and a friend and a person. Others have said it better than I, but though I was transferred shortly after training him and didn't see much of him from that time on, he wasn't an easy man to forget. His willing smile, his love of a drink and above all, at least in my experience, his reluctance to get down in the gutter to fight with those who chose the gutter as their home made him a special person and one who will be sadly missed.

My condolences to his family, whom I never met. RIP Ted, you were one of the good guys.

slackie
16th Jan 2009, 21:30
Great photo of Paul and Glenny in a previous thread...I too was at Mackay and would like to add my condolences to the list. Ted was always ready with a witty comment (not always kind!!), I remember with fondness my interactions with Ted at both IFATCA and CivilAir functions.

Have a cheeky red for me!