PDA

View Full Version : Wing over the blast barrier? (at SFO)

llondel
2nd Jan 2009, 05:03
Driving down US101 (OK, I was a passenger) past SFO on the 30th, I noticed the early afternoon BA flight taxiing into Terminal A. The port wing appeared to be over the blast barrier between airport and McDonnell Road. Reviewing it on Google Maps to check sight lines from 101, the only way it could have done that is if it was off the yellow line and taking a path through the parking spots in the corner. Is this normal at SFO or was there something causing an abnormal approach?

I did wonder about the clearance between #1 engine and the barrier, but I only had a few seconds to see it as we went past so I'm not sure how much overhang there was.

forget
2nd Jan 2009, 08:58
Rainboe! Front and centre. :hmm:

Rainboe
2nd Jan 2009, 10:26
OK then! Why do I always get these jobs?

I parked there many times. It is very tight for a wide body, right on the end like that. You can be sure that the pilots were sticking to the centreline like limpets. As the wide bodies are so long, you have to take turns very wide, so during the turn, you have to use your own judgement. But there have been no incidents I am aware of here although it is tight. Another place very tight indeed is the BA Terminal at JFK. Great care is taken! It has all been reviewed by the airport authorities who have determined nothing will actually conflict with the wingtip here- until there is a loud crunching sound.

llondel
2nd Jan 2009, 18:08
Thanks for that - I always thought it was strange that whoever planned it all would stick the biggest aircraft into that space, but I guess it keeps the crews on their toes at the end of a long flight. Did international stuff use Terminal 2 ten years ago? I remember having to queue for my bags before passport control back then.

I only asked because I remembered reading about a 744 having an argument with a barrier at LGW (July 06) on pushback, but I guess that one must be higher as there was contact, or it was just the difference between a wing full of fuel (at LGW) and one without (at SFO)

dubh12000
3rd Jan 2009, 08:55
On a similar note, I've noticed the last 2 times I've travelled BA into Newark we shutdown shy of the gate and have been pulled in. Could this be a new BA specific SOP, or could the Captain ask for this on landing?

Those Terminal B gates look horribly tight.

jonjoe
3rd Jan 2009, 09:40
Same procedure for some gates in LAX. Avoids jet blast damage taking tight turns onto stand with aircraft parked behind.

llondel
3rd Jan 2009, 17:20
There are some airlines that are required by the airport authority to shut down and await a tow to the gate. Usually these are the ones that have gotten it wrong in the past and have bumped into things. However, the incidents that cause these requirements often involve gates that are otherwise easily accessible.

Here's another Q - if you've shut down and are being towed and there's a collision, presumably it's not the fault of the FD?

Musket90
3rd Jan 2009, 18:17
Don't know if it still happens as now most of BA are in T5 but their early morning long haul arrivals at LHR Terminal 4 sometimes had to shut down and be towed onto "S" or "V" stands before 0700hrs local due to local planning conditions (noise).

Interesting question regarding collision - is the aircraft legally deemed to be "in flight" with engines shut down being towed onto stand with pax on board.

forget
3rd Jan 2009, 18:25
An aircraft shall be deemed to be in flight at any time from the moment when all its external doors are closed following embarkation until the moment when any such door is opened for disembarkation.