PDA

View Full Version : Apollo Bay Airfield

Wally Mk2
1st Jan 2009, 22:48
Just an update if anyone has flown in to the Apollo Bay strip of late.

Apart from maybe wanting to fly into there myself private like (SE, heaven 4bid you never read that ok:}) our Co.is looking at perhaps updating info to operate into there under limited conditions (we used to many years ago). I have official contact details but would like to hear from others that have actually flown into there with perhaps some experiences re dangers such as windshear etc.
I also believe that there may have been plans to develope the strip & also perhaps a housing development going up close to it?
There's no better way than to find out info than from real people who actually fly into these places, not what the local council believe to be right some times. Tnxs guys/gals:ok:

Wmk2:)

startingout
1st Jan 2009, 23:09
Have you got a copy of the country strip guide?

MyNameIsIs
2nd Jan 2009, 04:52
There are 2 operators last time I was down that part of the world (about a year ago now).

One was called Cape Otway Aviation and the other was linked to the mob out of Torquay.
A call to either of those (its peak season down there, you'll get onto somebody I imagine) would probably bring about some handy information.

From memory, its got a 2% slope down to the east (09/27 RWY direction), terrain to the west, powerline/s to the east. Was gravel but last time i went over it looked a lot darker than gravel, so not exactly sure on the surface type at the moment! 700metres or so.

nibbio86
2nd Jan 2009, 05:07
I've landed there about a year ago and it was a concrete runway. Very nice place, defenetly worth it!

VH-XXX
2nd Jan 2009, 06:18
Try calling Victor Bongoirno 0407 306 065 from the first of the said operators. Be sure to indicate experience level when calling him. If you tell him you're an RAA pilot who just got their cert he might tell you to stay home depending on the day :\

Wally Mk2
2nd Jan 2009, 07:10
Thanks Guys fo the info so far. That's what I like about this forum, ask & they come out of the woodwork like flies:)

I have some contact info & documents from our previous ops into there but was just wanting to add/supplement that with some actual recent flying into there by perhaps even some locals.

Just as a side note here I recall many moons ago now (Aug '85 in VH AAN)when I flew a C172 from KII to EN (yeah I know damn dangerous & a SE !:O) I tracked via Cape Otway (you had to in those days then) on up to Apollo Bay airfield back to EN. The winds on the day where very strong, something like 60+knots (No GPS way back then) FM the Nth & rough as guts. I remember seeing the windsock at Apollo Bay airfield being stiff as a dead man straight across the strip & thinking nah better not try to land there although it was tempting seeing as it took over an hour just to go from KII to Cape Otway ( I think about 48 nm). 3+ hrs or so back to EN (Fm WY). Started out in daylight landed in the dark, thank god for NVMC but now I think sheeeez I was lucky!
What really peeed me off though was 2 bottles of wine bought on KII smashed against the roof of the plane & soaked the crays we also had, bummer, marinated cray practically live!

So I remember Apollo Bay, do you?:)

ok more to come am sure:ok:

Wmk2

sms777
2nd Jan 2009, 08:24
Now.... that would be something to talk about....
Wally flying in there in an ultralight...Baaaawaahhhaa :D
Please don't!....i am killing myself laughing.
Wally... what ever it takes at least take a piston twin... call me if you need a hand :ok:

Howard Hughes
2nd Jan 2009, 08:59
700metres or so
Won't be carrying much out then Wally!;)

Reverseflowkeroburna
2nd Jan 2009, 09:14
Wally.........C172..............Darkness!!!!!! :p

I bet his eyes were like dinner plates!!!

Seriously though, concrete? Is that for the apron? It must've been 8-10yrs since I was there, but it was very rocky and i even managed to get bogged once. It's come a long way.

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Jan 2009, 09:31
So Wally, will the big Beech go in and out of 700m OK?

Dr :8

Jabawocky
2nd Jan 2009, 11:15
Depends on how many Crays and wine bottles Doc!:E

The FTDK and a full load........ no worries hey!:ok:

Wally Mk2
2nd Jan 2009, 14:11
I know I know I know, SE & at night, a very scary combination indeed! NEVER done it since.
Dr:8 the old Beech will do 720 mtrs under 'ideal' conditions IE: low T/Off weight.
No ultralight 'sms777' for Wally Mk2, that's borderline certifiable flying those toys planes:E

Wmk2 better go to bed now, being flogged on night shift ain't fun hey HH:sad:

VH-XXX
3rd Jan 2009, 00:51
Concrete Runway? :sad: Last time I was there it was gravel. Surely it's not concrete now? I've never landed on a concrete runway, closest I've come is the taxiway at Essendon. That would cost a fortune. About a year since I've been to Apollo Bay.

Lasiorhinus
3rd Jan 2009, 00:56
It obviously used to be concrete, until the earthquake..:}

MyNameIsIs
3rd Jan 2009, 01:32
Concrete, really??? Pretty fancy. The surface looked black-ish when I last went over. Definately didn't look to be typical grey gravel like I remembered it to be.

XXX, that's the fella. Couldn't remember his name. Vic has been a Bay local for some time I think.
Has he stuck to the 206 or upgrade to some Gippo 'Vans? A couple of years ago it looked as if he was trialling them....

nibbio86
3rd Jan 2009, 01:48
Concrete Runway? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif Last time I was there it was gravel. Surely it's not concrete now? I've never landed on a concrete runway, closest I've come is the taxiway at Essendon. That would cost a fortune. About a year since I've been to Apollo Bay.This is how I remember it. When Wally lands there, he will confirm wether or not I'm starting to loose long-term memory at the age of 22.

sthaussiepilot
3rd Jan 2009, 02:03
Funny that apparantly the airfield is counted as the town next to Apollo bay....mates sister can see the RWY from her bedroom window.. good view of the incomming/ out going traffic

Nice place, but I have never used the field though...

r sole
3rd Jan 2009, 03:16
memories i do remember departing there many years ago as a pax in a low wing grummen i must go back one day and retrieve a tyre which i think we left on the top strand of barb wire:uhoh:

VH-XXX
3rd Jan 2009, 05:21
MyNameIsIs, yeah he had one a while back but it was on loan from a Melbourne operator that he is mate's with while his was getting some work done on it.

engine out
3rd Jan 2009, 06:16
Used to operate in a 172 out of there one summer in the 90's. Never had a problem landing or taking off, up or down hill. I witnessed some of the worse approaches ever flown, usually in calm weather. a school I trained with banned pilots from going there due fear to the power lines (I think they may be underground now), in my opinion if you were going to hit the power lines landing you were never going to make the runway in the first place. It does bring back great memories of the place though.

BULLDOG 248
3rd Jan 2009, 06:23
Does anyone remember who the operator was that used C337's out of there for many years doing joyflights. Was in the 80's before the crew from Grovedale set up a flying school using a C172 and a Senaca and a C182 on joyflights.

thunderbird five
3rd Jan 2009, 08:48
Bill Whatsisname from up St Arnaud way. Saint Air.
Cute chick used to fly the joyflights and she handled the Huff 'n Puff great there.
Used to fly in there lots in 172's and 182's, but only on nice days. No problem from either end.

pall
3rd Jan 2009, 09:42
Landing on 09 can be a bit hairy. You have to fly down a valley with terrain either side. Reaaly buggers up you perspective and you can get too high very quickly. You have to concentrate on the aiming point and frly the correct glide slope.

Runway 27 is easier. The strip can be subject to flooding and gets very sof once you are off the the strip. Have seen AC bogged their.

werbil
3rd Jan 2009, 10:12
Bulldog 248 / thunderbird five.

Bill Lane was the owner of Saint Air. I beleive he is still operating a floatplane business somewhere in NSW.