PDA

View Full Version : Another Speed Camera Thread - But with a twist!

Flap 5
1st Jan 2009, 15:24
Just come across this. This could bring speed cameras into even more disrepute than they are already.

The Sentinel (http://www.thesentinel.com/302730670790449.php)

Romeo India Xray
1st Jan 2009, 16:42
Once knew someone who sent off the logbook for his new (second hand, clapped out) car, in the name of someone who had prevously royally pi$$ed him off, Then proceeded to drive through every speed camera he could find at something like twice the limit. The guy in question never did take the car that he "owned", and I think the vehicle was scrapped after a couple of days running up speeding fines.

RIX

G-CPTN
1st Jan 2009, 17:09
UK licence plates are 'special' reflective background (and you need the registration document in order to get licence plates made).
Of course, you could still steal plates from another vehicle (my son had both of his stolen from his 'popular' model of car. He never received any unexplained communications however.

1st Jan 2009, 17:16
One of the easiest laws to get around in the UK.
All you need to do is to pay about 10 and you can order a set of "show plates" from loads of ebay sellers.

I've just had a look, and there are also sellers who are selling road legal plates, and they make no mention of the registration doc.

StaceyF
1st Jan 2009, 18:42
One of the easiest laws to get around in the UK.
All you need to do is to pay about 10 and you can order a set of "show plates" from loads of ebay sellers.

I've just had a look, and there are also sellers who are selling road legal plates, and they make no mention of the registration doc.

Yep; in my younger days (just a few years ago :E) I bought a set of plates off the net and gave them the reg details of an identical car in my area - the guy had cut me up at a set of lights previously.

The plates duly arrived and I drove with impunity to speed cameras for about four months.

But I switched back to my original plates because with ANPR kit, I was liable to get tugged.

I didn't see the guy driving his car ever again :D:D

Dushan
1st Jan 2009, 19:06
In US and Canada plates are issued by the state/province transportation authority. While they are all the same shape each state/province has a distinctive look, with a slogan of some kind.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/3066294147_552134a2f6.jpg?v=0

There is no place that would make you a plate as there is no need for them. You can use a computer to design one for such a prank.

sisemen
1st Jan 2009, 23:49
For those of us who are heartily sick of clicking on links 'cos the poster is too fecking lazy to cut and paste.........:ugh:

WEB EXCLUSIVE -- Local teens claim pranks on county's Speed Cams

By Joe Slaninka
Special to the Sentinel

As a prank, students from local high schools have been taking advantage of the county's Speed Camera Program in order to exact revenge on people who they believe have wronged them in the past, including other students and even teachers.
Students from Richard Montgomery High School dubbed the prank the Speed Camera "Pimping" game, according to a parent of a student enrolled at one of the high schools.
Originating from Wootton High School, the parent said, students duplicate the license plates by printing plate numbers on glossy photo paper, using fonts from certain websites that "mimic" those on Maryland license plates. They tape the duplicate plate over the existing plate on the back of their car and purposefully speed through a speed camera, the parent said. The victim then receives a citation in the mail days later.
Students are even obtaining vehicles from their friends that are similar or identical to the make and model of the car owned by the targeted victim, according to the parent.
"This game is very disturbing," the parent said. "Especially since unsuspecting parents will also be victimized through receipt of unwarranted photo speed tickets.
The parent said that "our civil rights are exploited," and the entire premise behind the Speed Camera Program is called into question as a result of the growing this fad among students.
The Speed Camera Program was implemented in March of this year and used for the purpose of reducing traffic and pedestrian collisions in the county. Cameras are located in residential areas and school zones where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or lower. A $40 citation is mailed to the owner of the car for violating the speed limit in these areas.
The Montgomery County Police said they have not seen or heard of this prank occurring but said they will keep an eye out for people committing the crime.
"I hope the public at large will complain loudly enough that local Montgomery County government officials will change their policy of using these cameras for monetary gain," the parent said. "The practice of sending speeding tickets to faceless recipients without any type of verification is unwarranted and an exploitation of our rights."
Edward Owusu, Assistant Principal at Wootton High School, said that he heard of local students pulling the prank when the school received a call from a parent informing them of its occurrence. "I have not heard of this happening among students at Wootton," Osuwu said. "It is unfortunate that kids have a lot of time on their hands that they can think of doing such a thing."
Montgomery County Council President Phil Andrews said that the issue is troubling in several respects. "I am concerned that someone could get hurt, first of all, because they are speeding in areas where they know speeding is a problem," he said.
Andrews also said that this could hurt the integrity of the Speed Camera Program. "It will cause potential problems for the Speed Camera Program in terms of the confidence in it," he said.
He said he is glad someone caught it before it becomes more widespread and he said he hopes that the word get out to the people participating in this that there will be consequences.

G-CPTN
1st Jan 2009, 23:56
For those of us who are heartily sick of clicking on links 'cos the poster is too fecking lazy to cut and paste.........Some choose not to contravene copyright . . .

Newforest2
2nd Jan 2009, 08:52
Or waste expensive bandwith!:p

ExSp33db1rd
2nd Jan 2009, 09:00
For those of us who are heartily sick of clicking on links 'cos the poster is too fecking lazy to cut and paste.........

What an effort to 'click' on a link - I'm quite worn out by it all, I think I'll go lie down.

Now, cutting and pasting, that really is an effort, all that highlighting, and scrolling, and bashing keys - should be banned.

( Gawd help us, give me strength.. !! )

Flap 5
2nd Jan 2009, 10:50
sisemen,

You have a computer to do the work for you. Just click on the link I have provided and hey presto you have the originally unadulderated form! Your cut and paste on the other hand could be selective and altered in any way.

Bronx
2nd Jan 2009, 11:52
StaceyF's post is a good illustration of the cross section of human life we get in Jetblast, from honest folk to lowlife.

sisemen
2nd Jan 2009, 11:57
OK, I give in :\

I accept all the points made.

However, being of very short attention span it does annoy me when one opens up a potentially interesting thread only to find that there is another wait while the link downloads (perhaps the Oz speeds are not quite up to superior US or European standards). One can't ignore the link because the information is needed to interpret the witty (hopefully) remarks of others. Perhaps a few precised words wouldn't come amiss so that the average reader might decide whether it is worth continuing???

And don't give me the bolleaux about bandwidth. The new company is making a fortune out of this site (as was Danny).

So I'll just grab my red wine and retire to the corner of the room on this one. :hmm:

Flap 5
2nd Jan 2009, 14:06
No hard feelings. We love the ozzies really! :D

My computer is a bit slow at the moment. Must be Christmas. :p

cockney steve
3rd Jan 2009, 01:20
As pointed out above, the UK law is riddled with loopholes.
Any plates can be easily had, illegal spacing,numbers distorted to emulate letters, illegal fonts, illegal spacing are all fairly common.
there was a huge spate of "plate-swapping" in London, when the congestion charge came in......the authorities had problems enforcing a fine on a red Ford ,when the number had been issued to a yellow VW, for instance. I know a friend had a replacement plate with transposed digits and only realised it when the parking-ticket had the "wrong" number .:}

On the news today, -it's possible that virtually ALL the UK's speed...sorry, "safety" cameras are ILLEGAL , as they are supposed to be individually approved by the authorities (Gummint?parleymint? )

but the local authorities have just been erecting their Dick Turpins and raking in the fines.

Test cases currently on their way to Court!

sthaussiepilot
3rd Jan 2009, 12:01
Found out recently from an Officer of the law friend of mine...

You can drive through red light cameras provided you are under 20kms

Hardley worth the risk of being smashed up from going so slowly through the intersections.... but thought that was interesting that you can do that....Dont know if its the same outside of Aus....

Ahhh the useful information I receive :} Like with brand new cars:E:E

FlyingOfficerKite
3rd Jan 2009, 14:36
Speed cameras my a**e.

But several points, well made!

KR

FOK :)

birrddog
4th Jan 2009, 00:37
sthaussiepilot, I can confirm that is not the case in the UK, well, London for certain.

I was nicked for allegedly driving through a red light, when in fact I braked a little late and ended up stopping 1m over the threshold. (Slow driver in front of me put me over the line when the lights changed)

Didn't seem to bother the revenue collectors in London.

StaceyF
7th Jan 2009, 20:15
StaceyF's post is a good illustration of the cross section of human life we get in Jetblast, from honest folk to lowlife.

I thank you for the compliment.

If you lived in the UK, you'd realise the Police here aren't that bothered about protecting innocent citizens and so, increasingly, people are taking the law into their own hands.

The guy in question nearly took half the front end off of my car because he was simply too important to wait in the correct lane like everyone else and thought it was a jolly good wheeze to carve me up.

So, rather than involve Plod, I simply dealt with him.

And, I might add, considerably more effectively than the local Police would have done......."it's a civil matter" is their favourite response.

bubblesuk
7th Jan 2009, 23:07
All very nice in theory StacyF till the kid steps put in front of you and your to fast to stop in time. not so lond ago i witnessed a woman being hit by a moron speeding she smashed her head on the road when she came down and died instantly.

BlueWolf
8th Jan 2009, 08:49
Now, cutting and pasting, that really is an effort,

Well of course in the old days it was, I mean cutting and pasting meant just that, we would cut sections of copy with Stanley knives (or scissors if you were really confident and had a steady hand), and paste them, with paste, onto a setup board, and then when you had something which was good enough for the camera, photograph it, develop, and then take the plates down to the print shop, where the really clever types did their magic thing, and hey presto, it would come out the end of the print rollers looking really professional.

Now 'tis all done with electrickery and few clicks of a mouse. Mouses in them days were bothersome critters wot we used to trap, and poison, and sometimes feed when no-one else was looking, because they were really quite endearing even if they were vermin.

Young folk today, they don't know they're born. Humph.
:cool:

StaceyF
13th Jan 2009, 18:57
On the news today, -it's possible that virtually ALL the UK's speed...sorry, "safety" cameras are ILLEGAL

I've never understood why one of our highly paid television presenters hasn't had the foresight to ask our highly paid Transport Minister the following:

"If these cameras are, indeed, safety cameras and not speed cameras, can you explain Minister why I can drive past one at 29mph with my eyes closed and my arms folded and I won't be flashed but if I drive past one at 37mph with my eyes wide open and both hands tight on the wheel, I will?

Are you claiming, Minister, that the former act is less dangerous than the latter?"

StaceyF
13th Jan 2009, 18:59
One question I would ask was did you have the same make, model and colour of vehicle as the guy whose plates you stole?

Hmmm, not "theft", more "impersonation" :)

Yep, identical vehicles in every respect.

M.Mouse
13th Jan 2009, 19:58
So, rather than involve Plod, I simply dealt with him.

I think your behaviour stinks. The guy may have been a prat, you didn't suffer any material damage but decide to break the law on numerous counts for revenge. It says more about you than anything else.

A good job we are not all vigilantes.

StaceyF
13th Jan 2009, 20:28
I think your behaviour stinks. The guy may have been a prat, you didn't suffer any material damage but decide to break the law on numerous counts for revenge. It says more about you than anything else.

A good job we are not all vigilantes.

Hmmm, and the next car he can't cut up and endanger because he's banned as a totter won't have your vulnerable child in it.

Think about it :ugh::ugh::ugh:

If the Police won't uphold the law then.............(here's a hint, the next sentence begins "then we have no option but to do it ourselves").

EDIT: your appreciation and acceptance of prats is noted in front of the forum.

I imagine you must be very proud of yourself?

Sallyann1234
13th Jan 2009, 20:34
"If these cameras are, indeed, safety cameras and not speed cameras, can you explain Minister why I can drive past one at 29mph with my eyes closed and my arms folded and I won't be flashed but if I drive past one at 37mph with my eyes wide open and both hands tight on the wheel, I will?

Are you claiming, Minister, that the former act is less dangerous than the latter?"

Sorry, but that's a pathetic argument. No-one would dispute that both acts are illegal and so some extent dangerous.
People don't drive around "with their eyes closed and with arms folded", so there is no need to try and detect such behaviour. However people do drive around at excessive speeds and need to be deterred or caught. And "eyes wide open and both hands tight on the wheel" will not prevent an accident due to excessive speed.

sisemen
14th Jan 2009, 05:57
Found out recently from an Officer of the law friend of mine...

You can drive through red light cameras provided you are under 20kms

Sthaussiepilot - I'd love to know the chapter and verse on that little gem! They apparently don't know about it in WA - cos I was done for going a little over the stop line on red.

StaceyF
29th Jan 2009, 19:17
Sorry, but that's a pathetic argument. No-one would dispute that both acts are illegal and so some extent dangerous.

The driving around with eyes closed is inherently more dangerous surely?

And yet there's no mechanism for dealing with that?

Hint: cameras, "safety" or otherwise, are about revenue generation.

Let me guess, you had a comprehensive school education, didn't you? :=

mr. small fry
29th Jan 2009, 20:31
As related to me by a friend who did it....and anyone who knows him would belive it without question....

Twenty five years ago it was common practice for those employed by a "very large aerial photographic company" (now defunct) to operate single pilot 152's on missions that required photos to be taken at no moe than 500ft agl. This included city centres, and as a result many of their pilots were prosecuted under the then (low flying) Rule 5.

My friend discovered that the risk of prosecution diminished in direct proportion to the ammount of black electricians tape that was used to "disguise" one's registration. When operating, as was often the case, from small strips, such mischief could easily be conducted without any prying eyes.

DAL208
2nd Feb 2009, 19:37
Let me guess, you had a comprehensive school education, didn't you

tut tut tut.:hmm:

What you did was actually quite harsh, and your argument saying that the
person could do it again and kill a little child is very poor! Taking law into own hands in never right, you never know all circumstances, and you will let your emotions get better of you..its a system society has evolved into over hundreds of years...yet you think your one brain wave has beaten it?

'Safety cameras' are about revenue, i agree...however 90% (arbitrary figure to get point across) are there for a reason, to slow (even temporarily) someone down somewhere. The issue i have is the criminalisation of it. You should get fines, yes...but points on licence and letters from police i disagree with...perhaps for really serious offences, but not for all. A small fine is a good enough slap on the wrist imho.