PDA

View Full Version : Woman gives birth during flight from Amsterdam to Boston, making baby Canadian

weasil
1st Jan 2009, 12:46
Woman gives birth during flight from Amsterdam to Boston, making baby's nationality Canadian
By Associated Press
8:03 PM CST, December 31, 2008
BOSTON (AP) There were 124 passengers on Northwest Airlines Flight 59 when it left the Netherlands. There were 125 when it landed in Boston.

Phil Orlandella, a spokesman for Logan International Airport, says a woman went into labor and gave birth to an apparently healthy baby girl over the Atlantic Ocean on Wednesday during the eight-hour flight from Amsterdam.

Orlandella said a doctor and a paramedic who were on the flight assisted in the birth. He said the plane landed without incident about 10:30 a.m., and the mother and baby were immediately taken to Massachusetts General Hospital.

Orlandella said he did not know the nationality of the mother, but said for customs' purposes the baby was considered a Canadian citizen because she was born over Canada's airspace.

Woman gives birth during flight from Amsterdam to Boston, making baby's nationality Canadian -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-odd-born-in-the-sky,0,5112191.story)

Beatriz Fontana
1st Jan 2009, 13:10
That's brilliant. Going up to customs and being asked "anything to declare?"

G-CPTN
1st Jan 2009, 13:21
I wonder 'how far gone' the mother was when commencing the flight?
Do airlines not require a certificate in such circumstances?

tony draper
1st Jan 2009, 13:39
Born mid Atlantic? surely this makes the sprog a citizen of Atlantis.:uhoh:

cockney steve
1st Jan 2009, 13:42
Immigration arrests woman for people-smuggling.

Romeo India Xray
1st Jan 2009, 14:16
Passport control: Your passports please madam.

Mother: Heres mine

Passport control: And the child - you do know that infants need passports too? No passport, no entry.

Could have gone round for ages!

RIX

RatherBeFlying
1st Jan 2009, 14:56
US law seems to grant citizenship to those born within its airspace, but I don't see anything equivalent in Canadian law.

The operative question is whether birth on an international flight transiting Canadian airspace qualifies as "birth in Canada"

G-CPTN
1st Jan 2009, 15:03
The operative question is whether birth on an international flight transiting Canadian airspace qualifies as "birth in Canada"
Doesn't the nationality of the airline have any bearing?

Storminnorm
1st Jan 2009, 15:30
Did the baby have webbed feet and wings?

OKAY Duckie! Sorry! :ugh:

ORAC
1st Jan 2009, 15:37
Depending on the nationality of the parents and their national rules the baby may have the nationality of the parent(s).

Under UN rules, and as in the laws of many US states, such as Texas, the place of birth is registered as the city and country in which the aircraft first lands after the birth.

In this case the baby will automatically have American nationality and may have dual nationality from the parents.

What is certain is that, unless the parents were Canadian, it won't have Canadian nationality.

merlinxx
1st Jan 2009, 16:10
Born on US registered acft (thus US territory) so a US citizen by birth:ok:

merlinxx
1st Jan 2009, 19:34
Ignore the dipshites, bollix I'll not say any more being a Brit who's worked for Cousins Airlines/companies for over 20+ years I'll shut the **** up otherwise I may become angry:mad::ugh::ugh:

Anyway you lot, HAPPY FECKIN NEW YEAR:ok::E:E:E

con-pilot
1st Jan 2009, 19:40
I just heard on the news that the parents are from Uganda.

Hmm, let's see here, parents from Africa, born in Canadian airspace, therefore is entitled to Canadian citizenship, but born on a US flag airliner that landed in the US and is now also a US citizen.

A future US President perhaps? :p

(To the Mods, thank you. ;))

tony draper
1st Jan 2009, 20:04
Hmmm good fiddle this could be,a 747 load of mothers who wish their offspring to be citizens of the USA take off fly around in USA airspace until all the mothers have been forthcoming and you have a plane full of newAmericans,must be worth a few grand a seat.
Beats the shit out of trying to sneak across that Mex border.
:rolleyes:

Dushan
1st Jan 2009, 20:06
First of all, con Happy New Year. Second, you can keep him/her. We already have enough trouble with our Prime Ministers.

With any luck the birth certificate will say something stupid like "Time of Birth: 12:00 pm", then we can all contest it as that time does not actually exist. However when you try to explain that to some administrative "donut", they look at you as if you are crazy.

radeng
1st Jan 2009, 20:06
Good luck to the kid. He/she could have a far worse start in life than being born with US citizenship.

Dushan
1st Jan 2009, 20:10
Hmmm good fiddle this could be,a 747 load of mothers who wish their offspring to be citizens of the USA take off fly around in USA airspace until all the mothers have been forthcoming and you have a plane full of newAmericans,must be worth a few grand a seat.
Beats the shit out of trying to sneak across that Mex border.
:rolleyes:

I think Mr. Drapes is on to something here. Time to get those F-16s airborne...

airship
1st Jan 2009, 20:22
(To the Mods, thank you. ;))

For wont of any better argument, I too would like to thank the mods.

To the Mods, thank you. ;)
To the Mods, thank you. ;)

Has my tongue been sufficiently active to scrape through this evening's posts...?!

To the Mods, thank you. ;) for having bathed first.

V2-OMG!
1st Jan 2009, 20:55
Well, what one hears in a delivery room is often akin to what is heard inside any airline like the packed Air Canada flight which was delayed at the gate for twelve hours during last week's blizzard. Lots of screaming, swearing, sweating, panting, and exclamations about never wanting to go through this again - the S.O.B!

Dushan
1st Jan 2009, 21:03
Lots of screaming, swearing, sweating, panting, and exclamations

Wouldn't that be 9 months prior?

G-CPTN
1st Jan 2009, 21:46
Nobody has (so far) responded to my observation:- http://www.pprune.org/4621696-post3.html
Did she by-pass the system by being considered to be merely 'fat'?

What happens if a passenger is suspected to be pregnant and in final trimester? Who has authority? Is it the purser?

Rollingthunder
1st Jan 2009, 22:55
Lots of screaming, swearing, sweating
They're still doing it, especially those who still haven't got their luggage back.

pigboat
1st Jan 2009, 23:45
Lots of screaming, swearing, sweating, panting, and exclamations about never wanting to go through this again.
Pax would do that on some of my landings.

V2-OMG!
2nd Jan 2009, 18:14
Wouldn't that be 9 months prior?

Pax would do that on some of my landings.

LOL!...spewing peppermint tea all over my screen......

Avitor
2nd Jan 2009, 18:22
...perhaps you would stop what you are doing, Miss, and bring me that Gin and Tonic!

clicker
3rd Jan 2009, 04:27
Passport control: And the child - you do know that infants need passports too? No passport, no entry.

If it had been BOS-LGW then they would still be at LGW with [email protected] refusing entry.