PDA

View Full Version : "Sorry, your bag went to Afghanistan."

Cyrano
1st Jan 2009, 11:01
Slightly amusing Guardian report (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jan/01/france-afghanistan-lost-luggage) of a family who travelled from SOU to CDG to spend Christmas in Paris. One of their checked bags went astray and was finally found a few days later - having been sent to Afghanistan in error :confused: . The report claims that the bag was tagged "FAH" (Farah in Afghanistan) - not in Southampton, one assumes!

chrisbl
1st Jan 2009, 19:53
I travelled back from Dubai in November with Emirates, my back was tagged to Damascus not LHR.

Took a week for it to get to me.

EC-ILS
2nd Jan 2009, 20:10
I work in baggage services and ''FAH'' stands for Forward A Held bag, I would imagine that the bag was originally left in SOU and was Forwarded to CDG as we somtimes do on the rush tag we will write FAH on it, obviously whoever got their hands on the bag in CDG was perhaps a little inexpierenced and just assumed it was to got to FAH!

viktor inox
4th Jan 2009, 17:08
"Sorry, your bag went to Afghanistan."

Not a very nice way to speak of anyone's wife, but I hope she enjoyed the unexpected trip and stay in one of the world's favourite tourist destinations.

radeng
5th Jan 2009, 13:52
'Good Morning. I'm going to New York, and I'd like that bag to go San Francisco and this bag to Honolulu.'

'I'm sorry, Sir, we can't do that.'

'Why not? You did it last week!'

Final 3 Greens
5th Jan 2009, 14:04
3 years ago, a little typo sent my bag to LAX instead of LUX :ugh:

Scouser1
5th Jan 2009, 15:16
Hi EC-ILS...are you with EI?? I used to be Bag Facs with LGWLLBA....

WHBM
5th Jan 2009, 16:19
I find it difficult to understand how a bag unreconciled with a pax can be sent to Afghanistan, of all places where Western carriers will be careful with unreconciled bags.

Der absolute Hammer
5th Jan 2009, 17:32
The temptation of fate possible here but I always look to see that the sticky label the check in puts around the bag handle agrees with where I am going. So far..........all is in order.
Be careful when departing Italy for Munich. Munich in Italian is Monaco and Monaco has no airport.

wings folded
9th Jan 2009, 08:23
It does have a heliport though......

Atlantean1963
9th Jan 2009, 09:34
Der Absolute Hammer,

That does remind me - I was flying MUC-LHR with BA last year, and was disappointed that my bag didn't appear on the carousel in T1 (this was pre-T5). Went over to the handling desk and presented my luggage receipt, only to discover that the receipt wasn't mine - it was for someone elses's bag on the following MUC-LHR flight. :ooh:

Got my bag delivered back to me the following day, still with the "wrong" luggage label still attached.

It had never occurred to me to check the luggage receipt before - needless to say, these days I always do!

Best Regards,

Atlantean.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Globaliser
9th Jan 2009, 10:55
It had never occurred to me to check the luggage receipt before - needless to say, these days I always do!Of course, Sod's law means that once in a while, you will forget to do this.

The occasions on which you forget will always be those on which the bag has been wrongly tagged.

That's been my experience, anyway!

VAFFPAX
11th Jan 2009, 01:51
Atlantean, that's exactly what happened to me at PHX... I was on a multi-hop flight from PHX to LHR with a connection in LAX. I had two bags, two luggage tags that were glued onto the sleeve of the boarding pass (as America West check-in staff decided to do out front). I presented my boarding pass, it was ok'ed and the g/c member gave me a different sleeve, presumably for the person ahead of me. I didn't notice.

So I get to LAX, switch terminals (since my bags were checked through), and the VS check-in agent asked me for the luggage tags to reconcile them with my PNR. Except - the sleeve I had was not for MINE!

Thankfully my bags were fairly unique and VS checked with America West to check if there had been two bags of the description I gave checked through to LHR and transferred to their terminal. They then told me that I should check with them before boarding for the baggage tags. It was not a pleasant experience, sitting there on tenterhooks hoping that your bags make it across. But they did. Thankfully.

S.

Gp Capt Bhanerjee
12th Jan 2009, 13:05
A few weeks back, it happened to me at FRA that after quick check-in kiosk, I went to drop my bag at relevant counter. After I had left drop-off counter, I noticed not having luggage receipt sticking to my boarding pass. Upon closer inspection, I then saw that boarding pass was not even mine but from someone who had been served before and for whom agent had assigned another seat and not disposed of unused boarding card.