PDA

View Full Version : Collecting

Rollingthunder
31st Dec 2008, 18:55
As some may know, I collect die-cast model buses and a few trams. Corgi, EFE, Britbus a couple of dinkys (remember the blue Bedford car transporter). Old types, mostly half-cabs. They are really well built albeit mostly made in China. Over the years I've spent about 7,000 pounds and have over 240.

I have seen the values decline over the last few years. I will hang onto them regardless, perhaps in the hope the values will increase over the years...but I may be dead by then.

Not moaning, just a comment on the joys of collecting.

Rwy in Sight
31st Dec 2008, 18:59
It is hard to choose an item to collect for investment purposes. It is easier if you do it just because you like the item.

Rwy in Sight

ArthurR
31st Dec 2008, 19:10
Rwy in sight... Have to agree with you, I collect Zippo's, but the value of them is only to another collector, one mans collection is another mans rubbish.

Blues&twos
31st Dec 2008, 19:54
As a non-collector of anything I'm curious as to what makes a collector want to collect stuff.

I'm not having a dig at anyone. What's the driving force behind it?

frostbite
31st Dec 2008, 19:59
I used to collect apes.

Selected them from Stanley Stamp's Gibbon Catalogue.

It's OK, I know the way out....

G-CPTN
31st Dec 2008, 19:59
Over the years I've 'seen' things like classic cars (real ones) go from low to ridiculous back to reasonable.

Parapunter
31st Dec 2008, 20:18
I bought a 1974 Fender Stratocaster 15 years ago for 475 sheets. Anyone who knows about guitars will tell you they'e amongst the worst of the bunch and yet for some sentiment driven reason, it's now worth 1200-1600 wing wangs.

However, what few moves I know on the geetar, I learnt on the thing, so I'm inclined to hang on to it for good. Therefore I'm 475 out still. Plus the 200 or so bananas I've spent having it straightened out over the years.:suspect:

Storminnorm
31st Dec 2008, 20:49
I just collect dust lately. :sad: