PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Pilot Handbook?

dusk2dawn
31st Dec 2008, 12:39
Gents,

I'm trying to find info on the establishment and activities on the old airfields in Greenland (Bluie West & Bluie East).

Someone quoted a "PILOT HANDBOOK, NORTH ATLANTIC CROSSING - NORTHERN ROUTE" (ca 1943+) but I can't find that elusive publication and now I wonder if any member of this esteemed society would be able to steer me in the right direction?

In all circumstances I wish You all a Happy New Year!

windriver
31st Dec 2008, 16:43
In connection with your question I also strongly recommend you try and get hold of a copy of the book "Come North With Me" the autobiography of Bernt Balchen.

Real Boys Own stuff and definitely the genuine article....:ok:

dusk2dawn
1st Jan 2009, 14:34
OK, sad but thanks for your inputs anyway.
I'll order that autobiography. Bunch of these go-north-fellows really had the right stuff.

Atcham Tower
1st Jan 2009, 16:31
One came up on US eBay a while back. I tried for it but sadly got outbid!

wz662
1st Jan 2009, 18:01
I am in posession of a USAAF Pilot's Handbook North Atlantic dated June 45 so I may be able to help. It only mentions Bluie West 1, 3, 8 and 9 but no Bluie East.
Sorry but posting scans is beyond my IT skill level so PM me if interested

Atcham Tower
1st Jan 2009, 19:10
I presume you have tried Googling for info on the Bluies? If you haven't, there is a surprising amount. There were five Bluie Easts (east coast of Greenland, unsurprisingly) but I believe they were not airfields but radio and/or met stations. A long retired controller colleague of mine was in RAF Ferry Command and flew several types, including B-25s and Canadian-built Mosquitoes, through BW1. First-timers were usually shown a film of the unique visual approach to this airfield before leaving North America. It's not on YouTube (I checked!) but there is a lot of modern-day film of the airfield and approach. Narsarsuak (current spelling) commemorates its wartime code name in the ICAO code BGBW.

dusk2dawn
2nd Jan 2009, 12:48
Oh yes, I've been googling on this subject and been on every link.

ws662, I'm not surprised that a June, 1945, document omits Bluie West 4 and all the Bluie Easts. Most were established as weather obs stations and emergency airfields (BW4 and BE2) on support of the war.

I probably should have mentioned that my interest is (mostly) limited to the airfields Bluie West 4 and Bluie East 2 as I'm fairly familiar with the other airfields from my flying in Greenland (panorama class ;) ).

Should I take time off to visit British Library next time I get to London?

cambioso
4th Jan 2009, 08:40
If you want a book about the exploration and establishment of the Northern routes (Baffin, Greenland and Iceland) during WW2, you could do no better then "Ferry Command" by Don McVicar, my copy was published in the UK by Airlife in 1981 so there still will be copies about.
The book is an absolutely riveting read, it is also very humbling for those of us who (from time to time) fly over these places in shirtsleeves at 41,000 for a living! We are talking Real Men here.......Right up there with "Fate is the Hunter" in my opinion.
Hope it helps,
Regards, Jez

dirkdj
4th Jan 2009, 10:18
I agree with Cambioso, Ferry Command is a book you wil want to reread every couple years. One of the big adventures in aviation.

dusk2dawn
1st Jul 2009, 16:30
Now I've read the "Ferry Command" and "Come North With Me".
I would classify "Ferry Command" as interesting.. but "Come North With Me" is an amazing account!

Anyway, "PILOT HANDBOOK, NORTH ATLANTIC CROSSING - NORTHERN ROUTE" from 1943-44 still fails to materialize.

Sam Rutherford
4th May 2014, 09:44
Going to visit Bluie East Two next month - going to try and land there!

Cheers, Sam.

OzBob
4th May 2014, 12:00
It's not the book you are looking for, but some interesting insight to the beginnings of Bluie West One...............
Remembering Bluie West One, Narsarsuaq, Greenland (http://www.warbirdforum.com/bluie1.htm)

http://www.warbirdforum.com/bluiecover.jpg

topgas
4th May 2014, 21:20
A 1945 publication, Atlantic Bridge, is currently selling on ebay
1945*BOOK HMSO*"ATLANTIC BRIDGE"(WW2/RAF)TRANSPORT COMMAND OCEAN FERRY | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1945-BOOK-HMSO-ATLANTIC-BRIDGE-WW2-RAF-TRANSPORT-COMMAND-OCEAN-FERRY-/201074809244?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2ed0fe199c)

dusk2dawn
5th May 2014, 09:48
Thank you very much, topgas! It is now heading for my bookshelf.