PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticeship in India

superliner
31st Dec 2008, 10:01
Hello everyone,

My first post on these forums although I've been frequenting it for the past couple of months just reading and learning stuff..... so happy new year to all!!

I just wanted to know where I can find apprenticeship here in India, I'm currently studying aircraft maintenance engineering specializing in avionics. And since I still have a year of college to go I am in no hurry, but starting early wouldn't hurt would it?

Enjoy your new year parties!!

Superliner.

xxxchopperpilot
2nd Jan 2009, 08:54
Try "Power Enhance", they operate Eurocopter AS-365 Dauphin and have recently purchased some Agusta Westland AW139. I beleive they are in Bombay. I have worked with several engineers over the years who had started their careers with this company and all have been highly skilled and top blokes.

HAWK21M
5th Jan 2009, 04:41
Depending on your qualification.Currently a BAMEC can assure you an Aircraft Technician job.
It would be tough to get a job as an apprentice,without the required qualification.
But small operators would be easier.
regds
MEL

superliner
7th Jan 2009, 13:33
Thanks chopperpilot and hawk21!

I tried googling out 'power enhance' but it didn't turn up any relevant results so could you please share their contact details that would be really helpful.

Hmm... like I said I've still got some time to spend in the institute so I'm just weighing out my options and 'planning ahead' so to speak. As regards my qualifications I'll be acquiring my first BAMEL in Feb'09 session. It is only around that time that I'd like to start out with my apprenticeship. Hey, Hawk21 could you please tell me more about techinicians' work... as in how does it differ from apprenticeships (I hope my questions aren't stupid... lol) and whom to contact.

Regards,
Superliner.

HAWK21M
11th Jan 2009, 07:19
Aircraft technicians are unlicenced maintenance personell.They perform work on aircraft under the supervision of an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer [AME].
They are full time employees of an organisation in most cases.

Aircraft Technicians with passing of required exams can become AMEs.

regds
MEL

superliner
11th Jan 2009, 08:14
Okay... thanks I get it now.
So I believe that I could go either way by taking up an apprenticeship or working as a technician. So how does one proceed from being a technician to becoming an AME assuming that I have a BAMEL when I join as a technician? What exams should one take (I guess that would be Paper IV)

superliner.

Edit: It would be nice if I could get some contacts of firms looking for technicians/apprentices.

xxxchopperpilot
11th Jan 2009, 11:24
Sorry Pal, I got the name wrong. The correct name is "Pawan Hans". However it does sound like "power enhance" when an Indian chap says it to you. Sorry about the confusion, google that name and you will get a good result. Good luck.

xxxchopperpilot
11th Jan 2009, 11:30
Don't forget, it's not too late to become a pilot!:ok:

HAWK21M
12th Jan 2009, 07:07
After clearing BAMEL in catergories HA/JE/LA/PE,one can pass paper 4 or after joining up in an airline attend approved type training by the company.
On completion & clearing of orals/practicals by Regulatory authority.licence can be endorsed as AME.
regds
MEL

superliner
14th Jan 2009, 07:40
After clearing BAMEL in catergories HA/JE/LA/PEErr....I'm going in for RN, so I guess I'll have to clear all the three papers for the complete avionics stream, is it so? And would they forward my application for Paper 4 if I dont have a relative in the airline; I ask that 'cuz that is unfortunately that's what I've heard. :sad:

Don't forget, it's not too late to become a pilot!Haha.. Yes buddy thanks for reminding me that's the "bigger picture" anyway, but I'm kind of lost setting up the foundation itself!

Edit: Corrected typos.

HAWK21M
16th Jan 2009, 14:39
True.
for BAMEL in Cat R, you need Paper 1,2 & 3[R].
check CAR Series L for details on Directorate General of Civil Aviation (http://dgca.nic.in)
regds
MEL

superliner
16th Jan 2009, 14:56
I'll have to clear all the three papers for the complete avionics stream

By that I meant 3 Paper III's i.e. ES, IS and RN.

check CAR Series L for details on Directorate General of Civil Aviation (http://dgca.nic.in/)

I just cleared my Paper I, so that is still fresh in my mind :). Just that I'm a bit confused as to how it works out in the "real world".

HAWK21M
29th Jan 2009, 14:47
Trust me....Out here minimum qualification to get a good job is a BAMEC in HA/JE or E/R/I.
It might require you working as a Aircraft tech for sometime too,before getting an approved course.
regds
MEL

superliner
30th Jan 2009, 16:19
It might require you working as a Aircraft tech for sometime too,before getting an approved course.
Well, no matter how long it takes, how hard I've got to work... that is something I really want to achieve. It is just that I'm looking for footholds in this unknown territory..... thanks man, you've been of a lot of help.

superliner.

airfoil
2nd Feb 2009, 12:32
The correct name is "Pawan Hans". However it does sound like "power enhance" when an Indian chap says it to you.

lol. reminds me of my indian friend. ;)

Well, no matter how long it takes, how hard I've got to work... that is something I really want to achieve. It is just that I'm looking for footholds in this unknown territory

That's the spirit!! Just finished my apprenticeship last yr. from Lufthansa Technik Philippines and luckily I got selected in their Maintenance Training Program (MTP) which will start this April. I'm also one of those hopeful Mechanics who wants to settle in a good company. Just never lose hope because you've selected the best career in the world. and oh, having a license is your best ticket in this field. Just got mine! :ok:
Goodluck on your endeavor!

HAWK21M
3rd Feb 2009, 18:41
Be Humble to ask questions & be ready to help a collegue in answering his queries.
Aviation Mx is a small team in this world & there are good & bad apples out here.
You need to filter out the bad ones.

regds
MEL

superliner
5th Feb 2009, 12:35
Be Humble to ask questions & be ready to help a collegue in answering his queries.

Just the reason I'm here on pprune, to learn and to contribute :) And congrats airfoil, you're well on your way all the best!

airfoil
5th Feb 2009, 12:47
Thanks superliner hope you'll find a good company to put your skills on hand.:ok:

HAWK21M
24th Feb 2009, 21:02
Times are currently tough regarding jobs.concentrate on clearing your BAMEL papers thats the Key.
regds
MEL.

superliner
25th Feb 2009, 15:21
concentrate on clearing your BAMEL papers thats the Key

Yes! I am pretty confident that I'll be able to do that, it is only when I think beyond that I start getting anxious.... :uhoh:

HAWK21M
5th Mar 2009, 16:13
Don't plan too far ahead...Cross the river when you reach it.
regds
MEL

abelsinglei
7th Mar 2009, 15:20
hi, im doin ma ojt in RA having completed 21/2 yrs of training bt im 4m LA & CP background. so, im finding abit hard. actually i wanna persue in HA & JE through apprentice or any other means. so any suggestions of hz to persue ma next step. were n hz should i apply?
:confused:

HAWK21M
8th Mar 2009, 07:03
Write to the HR manager of the Airlines in your city.
regds
MEL

superliner
12th Apr 2009, 07:33
Can somebody please let me know of international airlines that have their maintenance bases here in India. I guess it is worth a shot trying them out for an apprenticeship, is it not? Some contact details would be of a lot of help! Oh, one more question, would it be better if I emailed them my resume or sent them a hard copy... (that is if and when I get their address!). I was thinking along the lines of a handwritten cover letter + a printed resume would add a little bit of a personal touch.

Just trying my best from my end. Look forward to reading from senior members here. Thanks in advance! :-)

HAWK21M
15th Apr 2009, 15:43
Cross the River,when you reach it.....No point thinking to far ahead....keep small targets at a time & achieve them gradually.
regds
MEL

superliner
26th Apr 2009, 10:09
Hey... thanks HAWK21. I really appreciate your taking out time to reply to my questions. Wish you the best!

At the moment what I'm looking for is.. er... places for gaining work experience (OJT), that's all. I guess apprenticeship was not the appropriate word to be used there in the last post. So, could anybody point me to the organization where I may gain some work experience?

Regards.

born1987
26th Apr 2009, 12:50
i think thats the responsibility of institute to send students on ojt

superliner
27th Apr 2009, 06:58
Umm... technically yes it is the institute's responsibility, but since they'd be making us to work on their dummy aircraft, I'm looking for greener pastures. Somewhere where I'd be more exposed to the real maintenance activities.

superliner

HAWK21M
2nd May 2009, 07:15
You would need to approach Airlines in the country.Since you are still in training,not many airlines may oblige.However major mx or engine shops could.
regds
MEL.

superliner
8th May 2009, 13:05
Yes... that is exactly my line of thought! Can you please give me the contact details of such organizations? I've tried googling out a few of them, have been successful in acquiring the relevant details to an extent, dunno how much is enough though.

Thanks again!

HAWK21M
27th May 2009, 15:46
You need to personally visit the offices of these airlines and talk to the HR mgr if possible,its better than sending accross a letter.
BOM/DEL/MAA have main bases for a few airlines.
regds
MEL

superliner
8th Jun 2009, 12:10
Getting an appointment with the HR is difficult here in Delhi for the major airlines at least. Lets see what I can make of the situation currently at hand. Thanks!

superliner
10th Sep 2009, 06:57
I'm reviving my old thread here to for everybody's convenience and to stop the same things from being repeated again. So after all this time that I've spent researching and getting in touch with various organisatin, not much seems to have materialised (from the big players, at least).

Although I do have offers from a flying club that has a fleet of cessna 172/152 and approved for 100Hr inspection and from a MRO that is approved for higher inspections/repair of biz-jets.

I seek advice from senior members as to which I should choose given that from what I understand I might get a job at the flying club at the end of the training, but have none such indications from the MRO. In terms of experience gained, I guess the MRO would be better hands down, wouldn't it?

HAWK21M
13th Sep 2009, 07:21
Any job is better than none.
To appear for papers,one needs experience.....ensure the Aircraft/Engine present at your place of work,provides that.

regds
MEL.

superliner
14th Sep 2009, 10:14
Any job is better than none

That indeed is very true.

What I'm trying to decide here is that if I take up this offer at the flying club I will not get the experience that an airline would require should any positions open up in the future, and being shown the door for that would be too bad. On the other hand the experience gained, in terms of the diversity and complexity of the systems involved, on biz jets at the MRO would still be better. So it is basically a choice between a job and work-experience, and both sound equally important to me.

I still have time to take a decision, so I'm open to suggestions and advices.

Sincere thanks!

Miles Gustaph
14th Sep 2009, 17:01
Aircraft systems are aircraft systems, the difference between small and large aircraft in a lot of cases is merely scale.

In a lot of cases, and I have seen this, engineers who have done their apprenticeships in a sizable MRO quite often don't have the experience or flexibility that comes from working on small aircraft and working on all of the systems.

I'm with MEL, "a job is better than no job." and I'll add to that... "how much do you want to work on aircraft, or do you only want to work on big aircraft?"

...take the job, get the experience!

superliner
16th Sep 2009, 10:06
The way you put it Miles, the flying club sounds more appealing. I had a slight aversion to it simply because all they've got is Cessna's 172/152. Not implying they're bad airplanes or anything just that there wouldn't be a lot of variations there. Having said that, I think if I could really get to know the plane inside out, that would be great. So I guess I'll go there, and its not that I am definitely getting a job there. They've just hinted that I might, which was definitely missing when I spoke to the MRO people.

"how much do you want to work on aircraft, or do you only want to work on big aircraft?"

I am more of an electronics/radio/computer guy, so the size of the airplane is irrelevent. Just the avionics that's on board that interests me.

Thank you all for your time, your replies really helped.

Amevoice
21st Sep 2009, 16:38
Go Air is providing OJT . Try there you may get there easily.

courseitsfixed
23rd Sep 2009, 04:23
Depends what you want to do in your later aviation career.If you gain experience only on small light piston types then you will find it difficult to transition to jets.In addition even biz jets have more sophisticated avionics suites than Cessna 150's plus all the associated systems such as pressurisation/aircon/IFE etc etc.
If the salary is not the driver then would humbly suggest the biz jet experience is more useful.
However do remember that OJT for most companies translates into unpaid labour.:cool:

superliner
23rd Sep 2009, 09:27
@courseitsfixed: Your post is exactly along my lines of thought. As you can see, it is pretty tough call for me to take at the moment because whatever I decide would surely be turning point in my (yet to begin) career as an avionic engineer.
To answer the first part of your post, further along in my career I picture myself in the midst of lots of avionics, radios, GPS, computers etc. with the liberty of taking them apart and putting back together. Like I said size of the aircraft doesn't matter; give me an A380, B777NG, Learjet.... I'm not picky... haha. I have started to form in inclination towards the flying club's offer 'cuz at least it would give me a "parking spot", where I could buy my time till the market picks up and I get the opportunity to begin chasing my dreams once again!

@amevoice: Like I said I've tried getting in touch with ALL the major airlines but have failed to elicit a single reply! Not even a "Thank you for your interest, but we have no positions right now" kind of a reply. Could you please provide me with the contact details. That would be really really helpful.

Thanks everyone for your time.... all ears (eyes?) all the time ;-)

Miles Gustaph
28th Sep 2009, 18:39
"I picture myself in the midst of lots of avionics, radios, GPS, computers etc. with the liberty of taking them apart and putting back together."

That's overhaul work, not maintenance... be careful your not going to get that in very many companies!

HAWK21M
5th Oct 2009, 08:26
Currently times are tough regarding jobs in Aviation out here.....Things should improve but not before 2-3 yrs.
regds
MEL.

NikhilMore
2nd Nov 2009, 06:02
hii
Superliner did you get your ojt ???
If yes please guide me too I am not getting it though looking it from last four months :ugh:. Please help
Thanks

superliner
3rd Nov 2009, 15:47
@Miles: It just keeps getting more and more difficult. Looks like what I want isn't really what I'm going to get :( I have my fingers crossed.
@HAWK21M: Thank you for the heads-up, I'm just waiting for the intervening two years to pass quickly.
@Nikhil: Check your PM.

HAWK21M
9th Nov 2009, 08:19
Best wishes.....
Just remember....The more you read of the subject,the better you will perform.

smitngada
29th Dec 2009, 07:08
hi...like u said that goair is providing ojt so pls can u tell me like wats the procedure or whom to contact , if u know ? i will be really thankfull !!!!

davidarmstrong
31st Dec 2009, 18:35
Happy new year......... hope u all may get job this year.....:ok: