PDA

View Full Version : Wearable Airplane/ Flying Suit?

smo-kin-hole
30th Dec 2008, 19:15
There are several youtube clips now of "Flying Suit" skydivers skimming rock faces in Norway. Putting webbing on your arms and legs seems to work, but what about a backpack wing set? What if a jumper had a board on his back about 2 metres long containing a set of wings which fold out like an F-14 Tomcat and were deployed with a pneumatic bottle with electric servos driving control surfaces with controllers inside your gloves.

What if you had a couple of those cheap turbines strapped to your feet?

Do you think a rig like this could sustain level flight? Can you imagine being able to have an 'Ironman" type dogfight? I bet having a midair would be a new experience in "up close and personal." I've seen that Swiss thing that crossed the channel, but it still seems too big and steers with weight-shift.

I guess it appears to me that the technology AND the techniques are out there. We are ready for this. Somebody wealthier than me needs to build it. Any other ideas? Besides meds?

tony draper
30th Dec 2008, 19:22
I'm already working on it,here's the prototype under test.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/dog-in-plane-costume-1.jpg
:rolleyes:

birrddog
30th Dec 2008, 19:41
It already exists, albeit not as fashionable as Drapers Dog!

YouTube - Yves Rossy The Swiss Jet Man-ENGLISH TEXT under 'More info' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEXxkWXncuo)

smo-kin-hole
31st Dec 2008, 00:44
Isn't that the Russian cosmonaut dog? Damn, he gets around!

Seriously, why do aerobatic machines have to cost more than a house? Couldn't some sort of rigid-wing device do the same kind of maneuvering without all the hardware? A half-scale hang-glider, but much stronger.

I saw the French Cri-cri micro twin at the Oshkosh Fly-in. They did inverted fly-by work, snap rolls, loops, everything! If you could shrink that ability into a half-sized package capable of being deployed in flight, that would be so much more fun than a clapped out Citabria.

I wonder if a largish radio-controlled model could do the same thing. Has anyone ever ridden "aloft" on a large RC model? That's one for the MTV "Jack A**" people to try.

I hope the flying suit people create a new kind of wearable plane. The time has come!:ok: