PDA

View Full Version : Don't throw sticks for dogs

ChristiaanJ
30th Dec 2008, 16:15
Vet: Do not throw sticks for dogs - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20081229/tuk-vet-do-not-throw-sticks-for-dogs-6323e80.html)

I'm far from being an H&S freak, but this sounds like a reasonable warning, and a plausible scenario.

So I thought I'd pass it on.

CJ

stevef
30th Dec 2008, 16:22
Long odds on it happening but my brother lost the family pet due to exactly that (swallowed broken stick punctured its stomach.).

gingernut
30th Dec 2008, 17:54
Had to have me 'ally stitched up for the same reason, many moons ago- stick stuck in ground and dog run into it.

Still throw sticks though, (flat and no sharp ones), always reckoned the benefits outweighed the risks, but may consider training Max to run after balls, as the good professor suggests.

(Must warn the post man)

Foss
30th Dec 2008, 18:42
The Idiot could choke on a fetched stick? Unlikely.

CR2
30th Dec 2008, 19:03
Our idiots wouldn't know what to do if you threw a stick for them :p

Foss
30th Dec 2008, 19:05
My Idiot knows what to do if I throw a stick atit.
Find a sofa to hide behind.

frostbite
30th Dec 2008, 19:57
Sounds a little like the recent advice about not giving dogs chocolate. I realise that may well have sound medical backing, but I've known dogs that lived a perfectly normal life span despite being fed chocolate on a daily basis.

Perhaps there's a similarity between dogs/chocolate and people/smoking?

Foss
30th Dec 2008, 20:05
Nah Frostie, I believe there's an ingredient in chocolate that will kill 'em. Especially dark chocolate. Itís a substance called theobromine in chocolate that is dangerous to dogs because it stimulates the central nervous system and heart, 146g of cooking chocolate could be fatal for a 22kg dog, now catch the dog, get the scales...

ShyTorque
30th Dec 2008, 21:22
Be careful about dogs biting your balls, too.

22 Degree Halo
30th Dec 2008, 21:36
Throwing and fetching a firework isn't mentioned.

:E

BOFH
30th Dec 2008, 21:50
A high-visibility jacket should be compulsory from now on, plus an assessment of the stick by a qualified H&E professional, before any play takes place (and only at a Registered Canine Frolicking Centre).

I wonder what happened to common sense.

BOFH

CR2
30th Dec 2008, 21:54
And and high viz stick and don't forget the stick insurance....

Loose rivets
30th Dec 2008, 21:56
And don't throw bricks.

Friends walking medium sized dog. Total mutt. Barks all way along beach until human complies.

Happy dog. Soft red brick in mouth. Twenty times later, brings brick back...barks.

Boyfriend throws brick. Mutt jumps up. Brick hits mutt's head. Mutt impersonates dead cow. Five minutes later, still impersonating dead cow. Girlfriend crying.

Boyfriend carries mutt home, legs all still pointing to doggy heaven.

Hour or two later, mutt jumps up and searches for his brick.

Barks.

Stockpicker
30th Dec 2008, 21:59
Check stick before throwing.

:rolleyes:

Foss
30th Dec 2008, 22:40
Idiot doesn't pick up sticks on the beach. Usually lengths of seaweed about 15 feet long.
'I got it! I got!' Hares off down the beach, but only gets about 15 feet because the other end is attached to something heavy buried in the sand.

So potential whiplash injury claim there, along with dentistry bills for my failure to ensure that the beach was a safe, dog friendly and IQ rated environment. IQ rated so you can judge by set down guidelines if your dog is stupid enough to come to harm in that area.
IQ rated 20 - If your dog has an IQ above 20 it should be safe here, the sofa.
IQ rated 200 - If it's IQ is above 200, should be alright here, say a motorway.

DX Wombat
30th Dec 2008, 23:00
Bryn will pick up sticks varying in size from thin beech twigs to small trees but he doesn't run with them and I don't throw them. He just likes to chew them and break off small pieces. Not throwing sticks for a dog was a piece of advice I was given many years ago for precisely the reasons given in the article.

Blues&twos
30th Dec 2008, 23:31
Took elderly neighbour's dog to the beach when I was a teenager, as a favour. Kept chucking rocks for it (on a pebble beach). Then decided to chuck a rock into the sea for a laugh. Sure enough the dog goes like a rocket into the surf, starts to swim....and then keeps on swimming.

Could I get the little bugger to come back?

In a panic I resorted to chucking rocks in behind the mutt to get it to turn round. God only knows what sort of a sadistic sicko passers by thought I was.

ChristiaanJ
30th Dec 2008, 23:31
DX Wombat, thanks!
It won't happen that often, but when it happens one will be devastated.
Which is why I passed on the message.

BOFH, it's not always a matter of 'common sense'.....
I'm perfectly ready to admit I hadn't thought of that particular scenario.
Maybe it's only that the things we throw are indeed the various rubber toys and tennis balls, and not sticks. So it's not happened to us.

CJ

Blacksheep
31st Dec 2008, 07:37
Pedro and Pablo don't fetch sticks, balls, frisbees or anything else.

Oh, they'll chase anything you throw all right, but once they've got it, its theirs.

Permanently.

Their sleeping quarters are a sight to be seen. :hmm:

mustpost
31st Dec 2008, 08:49
A friend has a collie cross who sits next to unsuspecting non-local darts players in the pub, watching carefully, then tries to catch the dart in mid-flight:eek:
Usually stopped in time tho'..

corsair
31st Dec 2008, 11:30
I know a dog, that doesn't bother with mere sticks. No, he'll pick up half a tree and bring it for you to throw. You can barely lift it, never mind throw it. He also has a bad habit of leaving his log on the runway with the a subsequent detrimental effect on any take off, landing or attempt to taxy.

sisemen
1st Jan 2009, 04:05
Some may remember my tale of the mouth to nose resuscitation of one of my golden retrievers.....well, on Sunday the stupid dog has a go at chewing a stick (obviously didn't read the H&S bulletin).

A short while later we noticed that she was pawing her muzzle and giving out those occasional hacking coughs that only dogs can do properly in company. Fortunately she let me open her mouth and there was a bit of the stick lodged horizontally across her upper molars and it was jammed tight.

After a bit of a struggle I finally managed to pull it free.

That damned dog owes me big time I tell you.

PS. After the guy was taken by a Great White the other day I thought I'd try a bit of shark fishing - Golden Retrievers are no good as bait. :E

CityofFlight
1st Jan 2009, 06:40
Similar story here, too, Sisemen.

Our standard poodle, now gone, used to love to prune our Rhodies if we were outside doing yard work. There she'd be, biting the lower branches....bite, snap off and spew bits to ground. Except every now and then, the bite and snap would produce smaller bits and once she got a small size twig stuck in the back of her throat. Total panic for her and us. We had no clue what was going on with her, she was freaking out.

A hefty vet bill later, we decided in the future, we could produce similar utencils....say...needle nose pliers, to free future shrubbery.

They're so much like children. You can't predict what they'll get into next, but just know that it will be something. :ok:

Rwy in Sight
1st Jan 2009, 08:36
A colleague bought a small remote controlled heli and he was flying it in his family living room to see what it was like (he likes to do the difficult thing first). His dog decided it is time to intercept the heli jumps misses the chopper and lands on the coffee table thanks not to the glass one. Xmass sweets all over the table dog receives a decent beating, eats the sweets (thus no cleaning required) and remains on the ground.

Nice story to hear not to live.

Rwy in Sight

helimutt
1st Jan 2009, 08:53
Definitely do not throw sticks for dogs. Go out and buy a big rubber toy if needs be, or your wife might have just the thing, but not sticks. Our dog, couple years ago, ran after a stick I threw for him. Ground was soft, stick embedded into ground like a spear and dog ran onto it, mouth first. He runs back yelping and jumping up and down, spraying blood literally everywhere. I pulled stick out from his mouth and realised it had separated his tongue from the bottom of his mouth about 3". Definitely not for the faint hearted. Bundled him quickly into car(ruined the car interior) and off to vets for emergency surgery.
Dog survived. ! I wouldn't have cared but he preferred to chase stones and balls to that point.

Don't do it, it's not big or clever. Forget H&S, just think common sense. Oh and chocolate is 'bad' for dogs. Give them doggie chocs if you must.

Parapunter
1st Jan 2009, 08:55
When I was a sprog, we had a Labrador ex guide dog. Lovely natured golden thing he was, typical fatty lab. One day,I must have been nine or ten, I heard him coughing, which he never did. Although I could see nothing wrong & to this day, I don't know why I did this, I ran over to him, stuck my hand down his throat & pulled out a good six inch length of bamboo cane.

What I mean is I couldn't see anything wrong, no bits of stick anywhere, I just knew somehow that he had this thing in his throat. Pulled out a goodly lump of his neck with it too Imight add. He never did thank me.

Whiskey Oscar Golf
1st Jan 2009, 09:24
I concur with the advice on throwing sticks for dogs. My manipulative blue heeler has always had a penchant for wood, generally the more ridiculously large the better. Good for laughter from the punters but hard to throw.

He was engaging in his timber passion about a month ago and after a hefty throw from me he misjudged the distance and had a rather funky tongue piercing. We removed the stick and looked at the rather large amount of blood coming forth. Off to the emergency vet we go and $900.00 later with groggy doggy at home giving us the evil eye for throwing the stick that he asked us to, we are told he'll probably live.

The vet said it's a common, dangerous injury and the splinters get stuck and often can't come out, then infection and the big needle. Don't leave it too long and wear the hefty cost. The dog still goes for wood these days but a stern no gets a reproachful look from him, but he'll drop the timber eventually. I bought him a bouncy ball that he can't crush in the first 10 minutes, he buries it, but I know his game now.

ShyTorque
1st Jan 2009, 09:35
Thread drift, I know, but any tips on how to stop a highly optimistic Jack Russell with a death wish trying to kill and retrieve dogs up to the size of a Great Dane?

Latest thing is one of these remote controlled Citronella collars. Limited success so far but at least the dog smells a bit nicer....... ;)

Suppose I could throw him a stick....

Foss
1st Jan 2009, 10:26
I'm still trying to persuade Idiot that 'YOU CAN'T FIGHT A F***ING COW FOR F*** SAKE, HOW MANY TIMES.'
Bear in mind this the world's stupidest pensioner lurcher.
'Take your heart tablet.'
'No.'
'Take this small biscuit with a heart tablet in it.'
'No. There's a tablet in it.'
'Whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH THIS SWEET.' Leave it on a kitchen counter.
Walk away, come back, heart tablet gone. :E

Back on thread, she has managed to choke on a half chewed pencil. That was a hand in the mouth effort to get that out.

Odd things dog's can get their paws on.
I was at a girl's house and her Basset Hound came into the room coughing, gagging and starting to collapse. Grabbed it, which wasn't difficult, reached in it's mouth and pulled out...
.. a tampon.
You don't throw too many of them in the park. She hadn't seen. Discreetly wrapped it, put it in the bin and said nothing.

ShyTorque
1st Jan 2009, 11:23
Dogs and tablets! Some will take them, some won't. A previous dog of ours hated them. I used to have to hold him between my knees, form a pouch out of his lips, poke the tablet in between his back teeth onto his tongue and down his throat, mind fingers, stroke his throat till it's gone. etc.

Went to the vets as he had to have antibiotics for some reason or other. I said, "Inject him, he won't take tablets".

"HaHa", said the vet, "He will. You just have to know what you're doing with these matters."

"Watch this", he said. "I'll hold him between my knees, form a pouch out of his lips, poke the tablet in between his back teeth onto his tongue and down his throat, mind fingers, stroke his throat till it's gone."

"But..." said I.

"There" said the vet. "All done".

"Look there", said I, pointing. "Tablet on the mat".

"Damn", said the vet. "I'll inject him....."

gingernut
1st Jan 2009, 11:27
Daft dog in action....

YouTube - Max In Tatton Park (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YVpQ3Til4XI)

El Grifo
2nd Jan 2009, 12:06
Personally I think this thread is fking pathetic.

Dangerous to throw sticks for fkin dogs indeed.

An activity carried out twixt dog and man since fkin time began.

Go back to the comfort of your fkin sofas, strap in, watch tv, if you are unafraid of the devil-rays that is and shut the fcuk up.

You lot as well as the whole other bunch of saddos that are discussing the same not-problem on radio right now

There, now I feel better. :ok:

anotherthing
2nd Jan 2009, 12:38
I have a dog I love to bits.

He loves chasing stuff, including sticks.

I will continue to let him do what he loves, and if on a walk he loses his ball, I will continue to throw sticks for him in their place.

He's a dog FFS and loves the activity - the day I stop my dog from enjoying himself because he might spear himself or choke on something is the day I will stop keeping dogs.

As for vets bills - unless you are very poor (in which case, why have a dog), insurance is fairly cheap. In fact, I'd go as far as saying dog insurance should be mandatory for owners - it will prevent some idiots who want a dog but can't be arsed looking after it from getting one.

It will also mean that in time, the number of strays etc should fall because people who get dogs will be comitted to them.

I have a work colleague who had a dog, sadly now passed away. She (woofer) wasn't insured and became ill. It cost the guy thousands of pounds to treat the dog - he was fortunate that his job is well paid so he could afford it... imagine how devastating it must be to be attached to a dog, yet to have to see it get put down just because you haven't insured it and you can't afford a vets bill for a perfectly cureable condition...

Storminnorm
2nd Jan 2009, 13:42
Throw the bl**dy dog, keep the stick! Cheaper at the vets! :ok:

El Grifo
2nd Jan 2009, 13:47
since I undoubtedly feel better as previously stated, I can wind my head in.

I have owned Retreivers for ever. The happiest times we had, was stick, frisbee, or ball throwing.

The best of the happiest of times was after the throwing games when
I could sit on the wall or the hillside and watch the buggers chew the aforementioned sticks till sundown.

Great for keeping their teeth in order sez the vet :ok:

Storminnorm
2nd Jan 2009, 13:52
Well! The vet would say that wouldn't he?
Probably made a large fortune from sorting the
stupid animals out after they'd got injured by sticks!

El Grifo
2nd Jan 2009, 13:56
No. Bad guess !

He was an excellent vet.

Had a bit of a magical rapport with animals.

None of this namby-pamby crap that we have read here.

Of course we were country people, not strait laced, paranoid, toonies :ok:

Storminnorm
2nd Jan 2009, 13:58
I prefer chickens, they don't fetch sticks or balls, but there again,
dogs don't lay many eggs. :p

El Grifo
2nd Jan 2009, 14:39
Hrrrrrumph !!!

Clearly not an avid reader of VIZ magazine.

"Dog egg" is a term clearly described in the profanasaurus section.

Very highbrow reading indeed :}

Storminnorm
2nd Jan 2009, 14:56
As I said. Dogs DON'T lay many eggs. Is all! :cool:

ShyTorque
2nd Jan 2009, 14:58
I say, a VIZ reader!
Are they allowed in here? After all, this is a high class emporium. Whatever next? :rolleyes:

Here boy, see him off, see him off! :}

Mind the stick.....

;)

El Grifo
2nd Jan 2009, 15:30
One thousand apologies stormin.

You are of course 100% correct.

"many" was indeed the operative word :D

To save me the bother of jumping to the other thread.

Bring yer wimmin bring yer money and we will welcome ye with open arms !!!

You know what I am on about :ok:

Hey Shyt, I also subscribe to "Private Eye"

Does that help my case, or condemn me forever :confused:

ShyTorque
2nd Jan 2009, 15:55
In truth, either publication might raise the tone a little :cool:

Storminnorm
2nd Jan 2009, 16:04
Thank you for your mini-grovel ElGrifo, accepted with thanks :ok:

DX Wombat
3rd Jan 2009, 00:31
:\ New Year's Day morning and Bryn and I were having a pleasant stroll around our snowy, hoar-frosty park. He picked up a thin beech twig and started to chomp it into small pieces. The next minute he was pawing frantically at his Halti headcollar and mouth, coughing, trying to vomit and generally behaving in a distressed manner. I opened his mouth, spied the offending bit of twig wedged firmly across his hard palate and managed to poke it out. Did he learn anything from this? Don't be silly! :\ He barely paused for thought before trying to carry on where he left off. :hmm: The following afternoon we went for a walk around Yeadon Tarn. Furry features spied a lad of about 12 years of age carting around a branch the size of a small tree. His eyes lit up. :rolleyes: Fortunately the lad's mum had seen the gleam in Bryn's eye and suggested to her son that it might be a good idea not to brandish it so energetically whilst passing us as she thought Bryn rather fancied having it for himself. The lad doubted his mum's word and was quite astonished when I informed him that Bryn would indeed love to play with it and was perfectly capable of making off with it given half a chance. The real moral of the tale however is to make sure your dog will always let you put your hand in its mouth to retrieve things, you never know when it may come in handy. ;)

Effluent Man
3rd Jan 2009, 09:15
Heard a professional farm yokel on the wireless yesterday poo-poohing the idea of non stick throwing as a vet money making racket.It occurred to me that it would be much more logical,from a money point of view for vets to encourage the practise.

El Grifo
3rd Jan 2009, 09:41
'fraid stormin was way ahead on that count Effers !!

Wind back a bit and you will pick it up :ok:

El G.

Storminnorm
3rd Jan 2009, 12:03
Makes a bl**dy change for me to be in front of ANYTHING!

Founder member of the Heel-draggers and Wasters Association me!! ;)

Effluent Man
3rd Jan 2009, 12:03
Apologies,new year laziness not reading all the threads.

Storminnorm
3rd Jan 2009, 12:06
Bit bleary in the optical department then?
I know the feeling only too well.

Whiskey Oscar Golf
3rd Jan 2009, 12:13
Mr. Grifo, I take umbrage at you calling myself or my dog "namby pamby". Because I am not keen on forking out another $900.00 or putting my dog through another general with possibility loss of life, I'm "soft"? I'd like to think I'm just a bit smarter in the way I entertain the wood loving heeler without having to throw the trees he brings me. Sure it may well be genetic but he enjoys the tennis ball just as much and he gets to destroy it as he would with the wood.

As to him or me being "namby pamby" I feed him roadkill and he loves sitting on the back of the ute at 60kmshr barking at all and sundry who have the affront to gaze at him.

anotherthing
3rd Jan 2009, 12:32
DX

What kind of dog do you have?

I have a Cairn Terrier, called Bryn - he also tries to carry off branches about 4 or 5 ft long. He often suceeds!

El Grifo
3rd Jan 2009, 13:01
None of this namby-pamby crap that we have read here

Lighten up WOG.

Taking comments out of context and throwing them back at the poster in a totally different light, is the job of the infamous septic-tanks on the heavier threads :ok:

So maybe you had some bad luck with a stick and a dog.

I am sure that puts you in a miniscule minority.

Love your dog and love your life. It is the only one the pair of you are ever likely to get :D

Whiskey Oscar Golf
3rd Jan 2009, 13:24
All light here Mr Grifo, sorry if it sounded hostile, more tongue in cheek if you'll pardon the pun. Just wanted to prove the dog's manliness, or womanliness depending on who's walking him:E

Foss
3rd Jan 2009, 13:30
Handbags...

I thought the original thrust of this thread was the ridiculous idea of being told to not to throw a stick for your dog. Most people know not to throw anything that will be rendered down into cocktail stick sized splinters.
That will not stop a dog eating or chewing anything if your back is turned in the house or outside. That's why you try to be careful.

If your dog has had an accident with a stick, that is unfortunate, but unlikely to happen to most people. Your dog is much more likely to die of old age, or getting run over on a road near your house.

Storminnorm
3rd Jan 2009, 13:49
What a way to go! Run over aged 103 whilst retrieving your stick!

El Grifo
3rd Jan 2009, 15:02
By a ROVER :}

Foss
3rd Jan 2009, 16:56
:D
Run over aged 103 by a Rover while chasing a stick after attacking a black postman. (see other thread :hmm:)
Postmortem reveals stomach full of elastic bands, Christmas tree lights, wrappers from chocolate bars, biro tops and gravel.

El Grifo
3rd Jan 2009, 17:30
There we go then. Sorted !!

We can all head off now, crack a bottle or a can, depending on preference.

A dog day afternoon was had by all :ok:

Adios

El Grifo

DX Wombat
3rd Jan 2009, 18:43
Anotherthing, I have a Welsh Sheepdog puppy who is now 10 months old. Have a look here (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/353600-really-really-boring-totally-pointless-snippets-information-thread-mk-xii-74.html)for some photos taken at Christmas. My previous dog was a red (he was supposed to be wheaten) Cairn Terrier called Dougal who was 17 when he died many years ago. I waited until I had retired before I got another dog.

Foss
3rd Jan 2009, 19:50
DX, this reindeer look familiar?
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/Gfwfos/Doglifebackpic1-2.jpg

CityofFlight
3rd Jan 2009, 19:56
It looks scared, Foss. One too many sticks?

Foss
3rd Jan 2009, 20:01
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/Gfwfos/Doglifebackpic1-1.jpg
'Is it gone yet?'

You'd be scared if you got a bit chewed off by a mental lurcher everyday then got it sewn back on again. It's the stuffed reindeer version of Prometheus.

The leg is now completely gone, got sick to death of picking bits of string everywhere.

lexxity
3rd Jan 2009, 20:06
Our Alsatian used to have a thing for dragging whole tree trunks around, and bricks and bloody great clomps of dried mud. I remember her once getting into a doggy paddy over a tree that was wedged in a pond and stuck fast. She was literally stamping her front feet in proper toddler tantrum mode.

DX Wombat
3rd Jan 2009, 22:23
stomach full of elastic bands, Christmas tree lights, wrappers from chocolate bars, biro tops and gravel.Add plastic bottle tops, (he hasn't managed to shred a bottle - yet!) tulip bulbs stolen from the garden, plastic bird feeder, banana skins, bits of earthenware plant pot, kitchen foil, cardboard, etc, etc. :\
this reindeer look familiar?Similar, Foss. Bryn's has a manaical grin and is now minus one prong of an antler and has had its tail amputated and eaten so I can't sew it back. :\
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/Bryn/P1012156.jpg
The reindeer in it's original state on Christmas Day. Note the look of feigned innocence on Bryn's face. He's discovered it has a squeak :* (I had no idea of that) so it stands a chance of lasting a little longer. Fortunately it isn't a loud squeak. :ok:
He's now tucked up for the night in his cage ... er .... bedroom, with a nice, fresh beef bone to chew. :)

lexxity
4th Jan 2009, 10:50
Ah yes plastic bottles, great fans of which all are dogs are.

DX Wombat
5th Jan 2009, 14:08
Bryn has taught himself how to remove the plastic caps on the bottles so he can make a better noise. :\

El Grifo
5th Jan 2009, 14:19
Bugger me DX, yer Bryn has made a proper pigs ear of that carton :}

Foss
5th Jan 2009, 14:25
Thank you el grifo, I think the cartoon you're talking is one I did, using crappy photofuctit in about 10 secs.

El Grifo
5th Jan 2009, 14:38
Close Foss !!

But it was the carton in DX's picture to which I was referring.

3rd rate humour I agree, but being an ex-patriot Scot, I am still "healing up" after the Hogmany festivities and it is "Christmas" here tomorrow :ok: