PDA

View Full Version : Graduate Avionics/Aerospace Engineer

Brenchen
30th Dec 2008, 03:42
Hi all,

Just like to know within Australia, what companies should I apply to get a graduate position that will give me the best opportunities with the company?

In my mind, I'm going to try to apply:
- Qantas
- VB
- DSTO
- DMO
- Boeing
- Raytheon
- BAE
- CSIRO
- CAE
- De Havellin

Is there anything else you guys could suggest?

I am currently taking work experience with DSTO, and had previous experience making flight simulators, do you think they would look at these attributes heavily?

Any input is much appreciated.
Thanks

nick2007
3rd Jan 2009, 00:37
If you have flight simulator experience, that will obviously put you ahead in applying for CAE (if they are hiring).
If you are into structures (you mentioned avionics, so maybe not) - try GKN as well.
John Holland (aviation division) - this is essentially Ansett's old engineering division.

Australian Avionics (cairns) - they are part of Hawker Pacific.

Australian Aerospace

But bear in mind that it's not the best time for finding work at the moment. As far as I am aware:
Qantas has a recruitment freeze
Hawker de Havilland is making some engineering staff redundant
I think that GKN might have been getting rid of some staff as well.

I would imagine that a lot of companies are doing the same now that business is slowing down.

Jayles
3rd Jan 2009, 01:21
Actually is Hawker Pacific pressence in Asia consider HUGE???

I see their pressence in SG not that strong....

nick2007
3rd Jan 2009, 03:18
Actually is Hawker Pacific pressence in Asia consider HUGE???

I see their pressence in SG not that strong....

That is because Hawker Pacific is primarily an Australian based company.

Like many other companies in most industries at the moment, they are also scaling back operations.

nick2007
3rd Jan 2009, 03:28
Actually, now that Singapore has been mentioned, if you have a good academic record (and like the humidity) you could try looking for jobs over there (or even further afield). There were some grad/early career positions available there earlier this year, however bear in mind that you will be competing with quite a few Singaporean graduates, and some postions may be open to Singaporean PR/citizens only.

If you are interested you could try with one of the subsidiaries of ST Engineering.

It is a regional maintenance centre so there are also several MRO's and aerospace suppliers who have offices/warehouses/hangars over there:
NORLAM
JAMCO
Dunlop Aerospace
... more that I can't remember right now.
These are all mainly structures firms. There are a few avionics jobs around also.

subsonic69
8th Jan 2009, 10:52
how bout JHAS ???

any feedbacks with regard to this company ???

If you have any pls feel free to send me a PM or just reply here ..

and is it true that they compensate more than compared to Forstaff , and QF???

nick2007
13th Jan 2009, 11:19
Pay more than Qantas? That's not hard.

Ogre
14th Jan 2009, 00:53
BAE at Edinburgh Parks has a sim-building capability, but are between contracts at the moment. I'd recommend dropping them a line, or checking the jobsite and sending your CV in.

But then again I'm biased seeing as I work for them!