PDA

View Full Version : How times have changed!

Callsign Kilo
29th Dec 2008, 21:08
Came across this when looking into the history of Hamble. Advert for a cadetship with BEA/BOAC circa 1967. Featured a photograph of dashing two striped FO wearing his cap and a huge cheesy grin sitting behind the wheel of the latest sports coupe with a rather fun looking blonde in the passenger seat. The tailplane of a BOAC VC10 is in the foreground as the two freeloaders speed off to their five star hotel for a bit of 'hows your father.' (apologies, last bit was my imagination getting carried away with itself).

B.E.A - B.O.A.C. be an airline pilot join the flying elite

Inter-continental jets at high speed and high altitude across the world; a life of travel; great capitals; friends spread out along world routes; high salary; skill and status - The BOAC/BEA Joint Pilot Training Scheme offer sponsored training to young men seeking a career as a civil airline pilot. The initial training course lasts approximately eighteen months.(just over a year if you are a graduate), and comprises over 225 hours flying in addition to many hours spent on equipment which simulates flight conditions without leaving the ground. You would also receive extensive instruction in the many subjects associated with flying; navigation, communications, aerodynamics, propulsion units, electrics and electronics; radar . in fact. the whole range of the aero-sciences,

Your initial training Course could be held at Hamble, Oxford or Perth, and when at its conclusion you hold a Commercial Pi1ots Licence and Instrument Rating, you would be offered a pilot's contract with BOAC or BEA. To make application you should be between 18-24 years of age (up to 26 for graduates),be inexcellent health,and have passes in 5 G.C.E. subjects, including English Language, Mathematics and one of the following science subjects: Physics, Physics-with-Chemistry, Chemistry or General Science. Passes in two subjects must be at 'A' level. If you are reading for a degree we would prefer it to have a science content.

Medical examinations are held in London, and the selection procedure for all candidates will be carried out at Hamble.

Waldo
29th Dec 2008, 21:22
Not really.

I was one of those "Hamsters" looking forward to the life of a jet-setting airline pilot on the Trident, with the chance to progress onto the VC10 and see the world with a beautiful hostie on my arm. Finished the training at the end of the 70's to be told that due to the economic downturn BA would not be offering me a job after all.

"Please go away and don't call back" was the advice offered.

Number of other jobs available

zero

unless you count pleasure flying in Skegness in an Auster.

Eventually started my career in North Africa and for the next 6 years did not see one job advertised in flight that I could apply for. Eventually got a job with a major charter airline by word of mouth.

Times have not changed that much!!

tart1
29th Dec 2008, 21:44
It's true ... it was the most exciting glamour-filled job in the world!

My father joined BOAC in 1968. Coming direct from the RAF, he obviously didn't go through the same selection process and training but the lifestyle and voyages were indeed amazing. Those really were the days.

And yes, Waldo, I agree with you - there have been times as bad as this before and it came good again as it always seems to do! :ok:

Callsign Kilo
30th Dec 2008, 09:45
Sorry to hear that Waldo, but the corporation still paid for your training, right? That today is still largely unheard of.

jamestkirk
30th Dec 2008, 16:22
Notice how it is only open to young men. Just concretes the harry enfield sketch of 'women. know your limits'.

airbandit
30th Dec 2008, 18:23
But really, did women fly at those days? When the aviation became open for female pilots?
Back at those times not only pilots gained respect for their work, but I think flight attendants were more proud of their job too.

BelArgUSA
30th Dec 2008, 23:28
If I recall well, 1970, Miss Turi Winderoe, Norway was first in airline service.
Then in USA, came Emily... with Frontier Airlines, Denver in 1971.
She was F/O on CV-580s. Met her once at Stapleton airport.
xxx
Then all the airlines had a boom hiring ladies...
Female...? Here, sign this paper, you are hired...
Honest, there was a bit of excess "equal" rights... more than equal.
Of course, came color of skin and national origin.
xxx
We used to joke in the USA, in the 1970s...
Wish to be a pilot...?
If you are black, female, and last name is Lopez, you are hired.
xxx
Fact is, I flew with ladies, and blacks etc...
Many were great. A few were not.
Proficiency does not come by gender, race or national origin.
xxx
I remember flying a 707 one day, a lady was my flight engineer.
Top of descent, I turned my head requesting a "descent check"...
She was busy adjusting her hairdo and painting her nose...
Her llittle mirror was hanging on a generator breaker switch (or bus tie...?)
xxx
In the cabin - it is another story...
In the old days with PanAm, we had good looking flight attendants.
College graduates, at least 2 years if not 4 years degree, multilingual.
Some were European born, Middle East, or Asians.
Among crewmembers, we could do a dozen of languages or dialects.
They knew the table manners, and what year was better for a wine bottle.
xxx
Females F/As were generally serving in the cabin, they were "stewardesses"
Gentlemen F/As generally worked the galley. with a "steward" title.
Came by serving cognac or brandies as needed. We had class, then...
xxx
My girlfriend was Paris based, Lebanese born "hostess"...
She was with TWA, how horrible, me being PanAm... our competitors.
She spoke French, Arabic and English, some Armenian and Farsi...
We had planned to be married. TWA retired hostesses at 40 age.
Had then to remain single, unmarried. That changed later.
Marrying her would have permitted her to get a "green card" and JFK base.
Unfortunately in Beirut, she lost her life. Violence is a hobby in that part of the world.
Took many years to come to grips with her memory.
xxx
Yes, today's LOCO air carriers are different.
Your flight attendants speak Yorkshire, or New Joyzee dialect.
They know the difference between Coca and Pepsi, and charge you € for it.
For your info, in Spanish, "Loco" means crazy, or mad...
xxx
:rolleyes:
Happy contrails - and best wishes for 2009

Sorry for my alzheimer... retired pilot... ha ha...
Emily's was Frontier's Emily Howell, first lady airline pilot in USA... 1971.
Met her between two flights at Stapleton...
Never had seen a lady in pilot uniform, was about 1972 or 1973.

Mungo Man
31st Dec 2008, 10:15
Am I right in thinking BA only employed its first female pilot in 1987!

airbandit
31st Dec 2008, 12:41
BelArgUSA, amazing stories! :ok: Would like to hear more about those days flying, maybe emergencies you saw or experienced.... :)
Happy New Year, everyone! :E and more importantly safe flights with no delays :)

gone till november
31st Dec 2008, 19:45
Bel Arg

When are you going to write a book? I know id buy it to hear some of your experience and maybe even learn from it.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Got sent to Beirut a year ago......lots of beautiful women so i have an inkling of where your comming from:sad: