PDA

View Full Version : Campaign (of sorts) to move Christmas to another time of year...

airship
29th Dec 2008, 13:25
Am I alone in thinking that Christmas and the New Year come too close together? It'd be difficult, if not impossible, to move New Year's day. So that just leaves moving Christmas. My so far admittedly rudimentary research into Christmas reveals that noone in fact knows the exact day Christ was born, let alone the month or even year - apparently it was probably somewhere between 2BC and 7BC (which sort of put's a doubt on our current AD calendar in a way too)...

Here are some of the pros and cons I've come up with in moving Christmas:

1) For many, the whole Christmas / New Year 'festive' period has become just one huge excuse for a prolonged gastronomic and alcoholic binge and general excess. If Christmas was moved to another time of year, the more spiritual aspects could be more properly observed.

2) There is a dearth of public holidays in the months of February - March and then again in September - November in many western countries. And those wishing for a white Christmas might be better off if Christmas was in late January or early February instead.

3) There would be reduced pressure on airlines and other transport services, allowing more pilots to spend either the Christmas or the New Year with family and friends.

4) Manufacturers would have to cope with an extra annual shutdown period (ie. at least 2 shorter 'bi-annual' shutdowns instead of 1 longer one as at present). But since so many of them have already offshored their production facilities to places like China and India, that shouldn't be a huge problem, should it?

5) If retailers didn't have to wait until the 'last couple of weeks before the end of the year' (and for many, the end of their financial year) to know whether or not they've indeed turned a profit for the whole year, the end of the year should be less stressful for them too...?!

IMHO and ideally, Christendom should openly admit that the true date of Christmas is unknown. Leave the 25th December to the pagans. And come together to establish a new date for Christmas. And why decide on a fixed date for Christmas? Perhaps, as with HM Queen Elizabeth II's birthday, we could have both a 'real' Christmas day and an 'official' one. Though since the 'real' day is unknown, we could leave it as 25th December for those who still require something 'tangible' (sic). But the 'official' Christmas day could be decreed by common accord the preceding year (sort of like how they decide when to run the F1 Monaco Grand Prix)...? And if Christendom is fair, every 'leap year' say, they will decide that Christmas day should fall in June or July, so that those Christians in the southern hemisphere might also experience a white Christmas from time to time?!

So, what sayeth you lot on this 5th (?) day of Christmas...?

Dushan
29th Dec 2008, 13:41
I think we should shift Christmas to a position after New Year, that way we can do our Christmas shopping in the January sales. Much cheaper.

We already have that. It's called Ortodox Christmas.

airship
29th Dec 2008, 13:51
Or even Orthodox...? Unortodox...moi?! ;)

PS. Where is rainboe?

Dushan
29th Dec 2008, 14:03
Airship,
sorry about that. It's my Slavic heritage showing (we have a problem pronouncing th), so I guess subconsciously I omitted it:sad::sad::E

Lon More
29th Dec 2008, 15:14
Might be easier to swap with the Antips.

Gainesy
29th Dec 2008, 15:52
February 29 has my vote.

bnt
29th Dec 2008, 23:13
Move it, by all means; it'll mean we can be more honest about what we're really celebrating at that time of year, the pagan festival that predates Christianity. :8

Buster Hyman
30th Dec 2008, 00:46
FFS! Leave it where it is...I'd hate to be cold at Christmas!

con-pilot
30th Dec 2008, 01:47
I agree Airship, let's move it to...............................................

The Fourth of July!

:p