PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Instructor for ATC Flying Camp - New Zealand

Sqwark2000
29th Dec 2008, 07:36
Hi guys and gals,

The Air Training Corps National Aviation Course runs from Jan 12 to 23 2009 and involves 7 instructors & aircraft with 35 students from around NZ. It's goal is to provide air experience for ATC cadets and usually follows an ab-intio training with those capable achieving first solo standard.

This year we require a ground instructor to join the team, the position is voluntary as are all the instructors but you are well taken care of...accommodation is at the RNZAF Base Woodbourne Officers Mess with meals provided (packed lunch provided on flightline).

Basic day to day routine will be breakfast at 7ish, Daily Flying briefing at 8am, flying ops till aircraft tie-down at 4.30ish, in the bar for pre-dinner drinks by 5.30, 3 course meal and then daily winddown in the bar to complete the day.

The main responsibility will be to conduct group pre-flight briefings for the 35 students and be available to mentor/assist any that ask for such assistance. You'll also be on stdby to pick up any slack on the flightline should anyone go u/s.

So all you need to volunteer is a current instructor rating, pref a PA38 or C152 rating, your time, beer money (which is very cheap) and maybe some travel expense depending on personal circumstance (most aircraft need ferrying to and from various locations, so instructor needs will be considered using the ferry flights, RNZAF SATS or commercial travel where available)

Any enquiries can be made to Sqwark2000 via PM with your personal details, and relevant flying experience. Please include contact details.

Cheers

S2K

ReverseFlight
29th Dec 2008, 08:54
I noticed Sqwark2000's post duplicated in the Flying Instructors & Examiners forum.

Is there any similar scheme in Oz ?

Stretch06
29th Dec 2008, 10:01
Yes Oz does simliar things. The AAFC (Australian Air Force Cadets) generally run flying camps (both gliding and powered) every school holidays.

Visit Welcome to the Australian Air Force Cadets - Headquarters Australian Airforce Cadets (http://www.aafc.org.au/hqaafc/) for more details on how to become an Instructor.

Cheers,

Stretch:ok:

Awol57
29th Dec 2008, 11:35
I know that at least 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7WG (South QLD, NSW, VIC, SA and WA respectively) have fairly active flying training units. If you follow stretches link you can find more information or send me a PM if you want.

Here in WA we have previously used instructors on the camps that were not part of the AAFC, but it is a pretty good youth development organisation :)

No shameless plug there hehe.

ReverseFlight
29th Dec 2008, 15:52
Thanks to Stretch06 and Awol57 for the helpful link and info.

I hope there are people out there who will be interested to do voluntary work if they feel the going is quieter now and can spare the time.

Got the horn
2nd Jan 2009, 02:08
Would do, but going to be volunteering at the Walsh. Bad timing :ooh:

Keg
2nd Jan 2009, 02:17
Reverse Flight, if you're keen to be involved, send me a PM and I can get you the contact details for the AAFC Air Training Flight closest to you.

Sqwark2000
3rd Jan 2009, 19:32
Hi again,

Thanks to the few that have made enquiries to date, I am still looking for someone to join the team as the Ground Instructor.

Whilst it doesn't seem the most glamorous position it is a rewarding experience and can lead to a flightline position on future courses as slots are offered to previous instructors first, then ground instructors before someone new will be sought to join the team.

If you're not sure about what the course is etc then check out some youtube vids of previous camps that the cadets put together at the end of the course.

YouTube - National Aviation Course 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfTqUmDjXlw)

YouTube - ATC NAC 07 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGdjVeD_gQw)

If you're interested and can make the course, please contact me a.s.a.p via PM

Cheers

S2K

Sqwark2000
5th Jan 2009, 03:29
Thanks for those that contacted me or suggested people.

We have found a willing volunteer and the course is fully staffed and ready to go.

Cheers

S2K

kiwi1011fe
7th Jan 2009, 02:24
Great to see that the ATC National Flying Camps are still on going.
I have fond memories of attending one of the early camps at Masterton in the early/ mid 1970's. Started me on a career in aviation, unfortunately not in NZ as there was nothing going on job wise after I obtained my CPL. I moved to the USA and got into the airline game with all of its ups and downs flying an assortment of aircraft including the Metroliner, Brasilia, Falcon 20, L-1011 Tristar, B727 and B737 for a number of air carriers.

Still have great memories of my ATC days, the highlight of which was the National Flying Camp at Masterton.