PDA

View Full Version : Little Britain USA on HBO

birrddog
29th Dec 2008, 06:17
Painful to watch...

Mostly repeat snippets from the British verison, with a few of the skits rewritten with American versions (like the member of parliament caught having sex with a prostitute, now an American senator).

Why did the feel they need to ruin a perfectly good show? :ugh:
(They clearly didn't read the Proon reviews about Top Gear Australia)

Vicky pollard is just not the same as an American.

Anyone else here seen it?

Gordy
29th Dec 2008, 06:47
I watched a couple of episodes back in October. I have never seen the British version so have no comparison.

In my humble opinion, I was not overly impressed, and think it has a way to go in order to reach the caliber of Fawlty Towers and Blackadder.

Basil..... Baldric....

Rollingthunder
29th Dec 2008, 06:52
Seen it, Re-hash. Don't like re-hash unless it has added potatoes, onions and garlic....maybe a few sauted green peppers and leeks, more corned beef, and a couple of fried eggs on top.

Bet you they made a load of American re-hashed money tho'.

M.Mouse
29th Dec 2008, 09:14
While Matt Lucas and David Walliams have undoubted comic skills demonstrated in some of the characters they have created I found they rapidly became very repetitive and some simply repulsive.

The US version of their show just struck me as very crude and very unfunny. Heaven knows what the American audience made of it.

Their is no comparison with Black Adder or Fawlty Towers.

Did anybody see the documentary about the Black Adder series on TV over Christmas (late Christmas night I think it was)? Amazing how the series was nearly binned after the not very good series one and fascinating to watch how the characters and writing evolved into the success it became.

Storminnorm
29th Dec 2008, 10:44
Why do people on't telly keep insisting that Ricky Gervais is funny?
I think you could get better so called "humour" in Stockport on a
Sunday when it's peeing down.
Can't stand the pratt! To say that he was childish would be an
insult to most two year olds. :ugh:

flower
29th Dec 2008, 10:58
The first two series of Little Britain I laughed at , the 3rd one was quite tasteless. I watched one programme of Little Britain USA and myself and my 19 year old niece thought it crude and unfunny. Now the two of us love comedy and regularly watch the likes of Live at Jongleurs and I was at the Glee club for a night out 2 weeks ago so we enjoy off the wall humour but this has lost the plot.

Yes I watched the Black Adder programme I watched all of the series including the original one now that was funny :ok:

ps Ricky Gervais doesn't do it for me either but one of the funniest guys around at the moment is Michael McIntyre

fhegner
5th Feb 2009, 00:34
Same thing happened to The Office....not so severe though!

con-pilot
5th Feb 2009, 00:57
Wasn't funny to begin with, let alone after being translated...

I agree, I have seen the original BBC version, not funny in the least. No where the quality of Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, Black Adder, Yes Minster, As time goes by, Are You being Served etc.

No, you can keep Little Britain in Britain.

To me it was more insulting to the English people than funny. But that is just my opinion.

Ogre
5th Feb 2009, 02:10
Here in Downunderland they've just started showing "Life on Mars", the American version. Lets just say it's not going down well. Obviously there are some good bits but after watching the UK version Harvey Keitel's Gene Hunt just doesn't make the grade.
I'm afraid tv shows like this just highlight the differences in humour and culture.

Loose rivets
5th Feb 2009, 09:53
Basil was being interviewed by Jay Lenno last night. Very weird. Spent a lot of time saying how horrible the Pythons were...and when he said how he was glad one of them had died, the audience were hesitant to laugh. When Cleese laughed, they did. All done in a way that only a Brit would understand, One thinks.

One thing. Cleese name was Cheese. John was annoyed that it had been changed by his father (during the Great War I think ) cos it would have been a super name for a comedian.

Anyway, I looked it up, and yes, there are only 8 listed in the UK 167,220 in the order of 'popularity'.

I went back and looked up Cheese. there are 529 Cheese =10892 down the list. A name like Bennett for instance, is in the 30 thousands.

kluge
5th Feb 2009, 10:20
Little Britain - absolute $hite.

Bring back Spitting Image - now that was creative - could probably be used to educate the yoof of today.

What's the other show that been exported to the cousins - the one with the animals (ala Wallace & Grommit) - it now has yank accents. Just not the same without the Home Counties accents.

The Brit show that was ripped off Freinds wasn't bad - if a little crude. No need for it really.

birrddog
5th Feb 2009, 16:04
Bring back Spitting Image - now

Nooo.. don't need any more racist anti-jaapie shows.... we are now an endangered species.... :}

con-pilot
5th Feb 2009, 19:12
While we are on the subject of British comedy, what was the name of the series that had a black chef/owner of a restaurant? I loved that show.

Was it 'Yes Chef'?

hellsbrink
8th Feb 2009, 01:18
Yes, CP. Chef played by Lenny Henry

con-pilot
8th Feb 2009, 19:54
Thank you brink. :ok: