PDA

View Full Version : Buucaneer Down at Boonah

drunkensailor
29th Dec 2008, 05:16
TWO people walked away from the wreckage of an air crash today after their seaplane crashed into a paddock 2km from the Dugandan airstrip near Boonah.
The single-engine Lake Buccaneer amphibious plane crashed north-east of the airstrip at 11am.
The two people who were on board sustained minor injuries, including a broken arm, and are being taken to Boonah hospital by ambulance.
Fire crews were working to contain a fuel leak at the crash site.
Greg Neale, a chief flying instructor at the airport, said it would have had to be a forced landing so far from the airstrip.
"As a pilot, my opinion would have to be that something's malfunctioned and he's had to put it down in that clear paddock area because he couldn't reach the airfield," Mr Neale told AAP.
"They haven't got a good glide ratio, those aircraft."
The four-seater aircraft is permanently housed at the airport by a private owner, Mr Neale said.

Two walk away from air crash | The Courier-Mail (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24852061-952,00.html)

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
29th Dec 2008, 05:55
Oh no, not MXU ?.

Dog One
29th Dec 2008, 07:10
Where is Boonah?

Mr.Buzzy
29th Dec 2008, 07:44
Boonah Idaho?

Unhinged
29th Dec 2008, 08:45
MXU ? Dunno ... but that caused a hurried scan of the logbook. Been 2 years since I last flew it up north. Has it really moved so far from home ?

Love the quote about "They haven't got a good glide ratio, those aircraft". I reckon most helicopters glide further than an LA4 :-) Lotsa fun though :-))))

PS Just had a look at the linked news story. MXU was bright yellow last time I saw it. This one is white.

tail wheel
29th Dec 2008, 08:47
Boonah, Queensland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boonah,_Queensland).

Latitude: 27° 52' S
Longitude: 152° 26' E

the wizard of auz
29th Dec 2008, 09:11
so was it wrecked or just dinged up a bit? I can imagine landing a lake in a paddock as being a fairly noisy affair.

Ando1Bar
29th Dec 2008, 21:21
Looks like LAA.

rotorque
30th Dec 2008, 22:38
RACQ Careflight was called to the scene when it was first reported but got called off when the two occupants were seen walking around the aircraft....

Careflight was then tasked an hour later to pick up the passenger who was found to have sustained extensive facial fractures plus the broken arm.

He couldn't tell us what had actually happened as he was not a pilot but described the motion of the aircraft.... sounded quite exciting !!

The were on the right downwind side of the boonah strip when trouble hit, the pilot sighted the paddock on his left and aimed for it, fell short, hit the ground upright and level, went through a wire fence and took out the left wing on a concrete water tank before rotating to a halt within 20 metres.

The paddock has about 12 degrees up slope so I guess it would of been a short landing regardless but 20 metres gives you an idea of the impact forces.... these guys are lucky to be alive let alone walking. Machine is a write off.

Cheers

ratso
30th Dec 2008, 23:26
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/atisone/Buccaneer.jpg

Aircraft is badly damaged

the wizard of auz
31st Dec 2008, 00:24
Yup, she looks buggered alright. On the up side. there wouldnt have been a prop strike so there is no need for a bulk strip. :E