PDA

View Full Version : Is this a new sales technique???

helimutt
28th Dec 2008, 15:47
Maybe it's because my xmas has been ruined with flu this year and i've had to spend too much time in front of TV, but, I see the sales adverts on TV now and they're all saying the same thing. The price is now ie two nine nine, instead of saying two hundred and ninety nine pounds. They're all at it and it's beginning to get on my t**s now i've noticed it. They often say the original price in the normal way, ie was three hundred and ninety nine pounds, now only two nine nine. GGRRRRRRRR!! WHY???

Oh and the other thing is, the new 'reduced sale sale, get it here whilst stocks last etc etc' prices are sometimes a bit strange, instead of the old favourite of ending in 99, they're showing prices like 136.27. What's that all about? Such an exact price. Is this all a subconscious sales technique which we're supposed to all fall for?

Rant over. Thank you and have a nice day.

Saab Dastard
28th Dec 2008, 16:02
I suspect that the odd price values may be a product of the recent change in VAT from 17.5 to 15% - so an item that used to have a VAT inclusive price of 139.99 would now be 137.01.

SD

green granite
28th Dec 2008, 17:43
Try using the mute button then it won't annoy you. :ok::E

G-CPTN
28th Dec 2008, 17:51
Or don't watch . . .

Loose rivets
28th Dec 2008, 19:38
Since Trump wanted to copyright 'Your Fired!' I wondered if I could copyright 'ninety-nine'. I would also have had to do Niny-nine, and probably some other combinations of bad pronouning.:} (appologies to Peter Sellers)

Even if the only result was stopping this daft (read crooked) habit of dropping the penny to fool people, that would be reward enough.

But if you got 10 cents for every time someone said, Ninety-nine on radio or telly, you'd be rich on the first day.

ChrisVJ
28th Dec 2008, 20:27
You've just got to love N America.

Several of our retailers have 'Price guarantee' policies. If the price goes down in the next 14/30 days we'll refund the difference.

The Mrs VJ took her receipts back to a couple of retailers on the 28th and collected the difference between the pre Christmas prices and the new sale prices. Easily over $100. Now that's what I call a policy.

Blues&twos
28th Dec 2008, 20:27
I want to know how L'Oreal get away with advertising their "Telescopic Mascara" on TV by the voiceover saying:
'Lengthen your lashes towards infinity' whilst text appears simultaneously on screen stating 'Up to 60% longer'.

Not quite infinity then, really, eh? Although technically correct.

And pretty much every other cosmetics advertisement ever made with BS scientific compounds...although they never explain what's so great about hydroxyceramide liposomal antigens. Or whatever.

gingernut
28th Dec 2008, 20:47
Yeh, do peta-peptides really work. And what is the role of hyalluronic acid, in wrinkle technology?

Without wishing to seem sexist, is it a woman thing?

And don't mention those bloomin' high tech air freshners Mrs G tries to poision me with:*

Blues&twos
28th Dec 2008, 21:07
If a cosmetics company included an active ingredient in their product which had a greater than negligible physiological effect, wouldn't they have to put the product through clinical trials and regulatory submissions to the FDA/MHRA etc? Would it then be classed as a pharmaceutical product?

My favourite nonsense cosmetics chemical compound is "Boswellox". Mainly becuase it almost describes what it actually is.

Edit: Just looked up Boswellox. It appears that L'Oreal is responsible for that, too.

click
28th Dec 2008, 22:23
three hundred and ninety nine pounds, now only two nine nine
Maybe, just maybe....quoting the price in EURO? :D

Loki
28th Dec 2008, 22:55
Hacks me off too. As does continuity announcers using "V" instead of "versus" when talking about football matches. I`m sure they used to use the latter. When did that change, and more importantly, why?

Still it`s better than being shouted at by that pillock who`s trying to sell some cleaner or other.

Noah Zark.
28th Dec 2008, 22:59
Anyone bothered to work out what "73% of 241 women surveyed" (or whatever the numbers are) seen fleetingly at the bottom of some "beauty" products actually amounts to? (because you're worth it?)

P.S.
I preferred post-Christmas telly in the olden days when it used to be wall-to-wall holiday ads instead of horrible sofa and settee ads!

Beatriz Fontana
28th Dec 2008, 23:13
I remember the days when DFS advertised that they only had stores in Carcroft, Brigg, Thorpe Arch and Hull...

flower
29th Dec 2008, 11:00
I Sky + everything I watch and fast forward through all the adverts

And just to prove how adverts can work by repetition an advert that used to appear on TV when i was a youngster of about 11 ( some 30 years back) was for replacement windows and the phone number that they said time and time again was
Phone Cradley Heath 651 double 1 now

CUNIM
29th Dec 2008, 11:17
Hi Flower

I hope that you feel better soon, one way is to try whisky, honey and hot water, it keeps the bugs happy.:ok:

flower
29th Dec 2008, 11:23
Hi Cunim it's been an age :)

eggnog the flippant
29th Dec 2008, 13:47
"KIBBLESWORTH" - "The footling amount of money by which the price of a given article in a shop is less than a sensible number, in the vain hope that at least one idiot will think it cheap. For instance the kibblesworth on a price of shoes priced at 19.99 is1p."

That dates it a bit. To 1983 in fact. Douglas Adams and John Lloyd 'The Meaning of Liff'. It comes between Kettleness and Kimmeridge. Oh dear, I think I'm going to have to read the whole book again.