PDA

View Full Version : Camp friendly ALA's in Victoria

vee1-rotate
28th Dec 2008, 00:01
Hey guys, a few friends and I (fresh PPL's) are attempting to locate a nice little getaway spot within decent range to Melbourne (1-1.5hr flight). We are looking for somewhere very close to a lake, river or ocean and most preferably a bit away from civilization. The plan is to use it as a sort of overnight camping retreat to get away from the bustle of the city. Would be taking own swags and food hence no need for any shops or accomodation. Water feature would be great for a bit of fishing and swim etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

V1

VH-XXX
28th Dec 2008, 00:15
Best I can do for you is a bone dry airstrip 600 metres near Rushworth with a dam that you can catch Yabbies in. Has a few of trees for shade. Very remote and nobody will hassle you there. Let me know if you are interested as I think another pruner visited there recently. It's within 15 mins of Shepparton if you need avgas.

Brian Abraham
28th Dec 2008, 02:57
Try Fraser Island 37° 53' 14"S, 147° 56' 12"E (east from Bairnsdale). Ring (03) 5156 3256 or 0427 557 670. Permission required and would need to check on condition of airstrip, and I'm sure a fee would be required as the island is run as a resort - should be nominal I'd imagine as you are camping rather than using the accommodation and facilities. Might ask about toilet arrangements tho.

The Truckie
28th Dec 2008, 04:48
The Grampians.

You can park your plane outside your cabin and then what you do after that is up to you.Bush walking, rock climbing etc

Reverseflowkeroburna
28th Dec 2008, 06:28
It's been quite a few years since I was there, but Apollo Bay was always good value for a little weekender. Just across the Great Ocean Road from the strip was a camping ground and it was a nice 2km walk along the beach into town (Marengo I think). In town was a nice pub to serve you coldies and great fish & chips could be had followed by a lovely stagger along the beach on your way back to camp. There is also a creek coming out of the Otways nearby! :ok:

The scenery on the way down from ML was great and a wee bit further along the coast you come across the 12 Apostles (or is that 11 now?) too.

Let me know if you go and if it's all still there and as great a place to unwind.

Truckie, do you have anymore details on that Grampians strip? Is it Vic. valley or one of the other old NRE/DSE fields?

vee1-rotate
28th Dec 2008, 07:45
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, will be having a good look at them.

Reverse, the grampians airstrip that was mentioned has a website at www.assesearslodge.com.au quite an interesting setup they have there.

MyNameIsIs
28th Dec 2008, 08:43
Asses Ears :ok:
Ask Steve (i think thats his name !) for a story about the Rabbi and the cows. Absolute corker.

David5326
28th Dec 2008, 10:03
Check out Tuki, nice grass airstrip there. Trout farm, excellent food, accommodation ect.
Tuki (http://www.tuki.com.au/)

Kickatinalong
28th Dec 2008, 10:06
Try the other way mate, FLINDERS ISLAND, Whitemark is great and if you don't mind white pointers the crayfish are brilliant.
Kickatinalong

compressor stall
28th Dec 2008, 10:34
Whitemark might be nice, but Killiecrankie is better (and closer!). I was camping there 10 years ago this week. Alf picked us up from the strip, then dropped us off by boat at the campsite at the foot of Mt Killiekrankie.

Just stunning.

man on the ground
28th Dec 2008, 13:24
Port Fairy

haven't flown in there, but there's a good sized grass strip near the water, nice town nearby, and all the ocean fishing you could want a short stroll away

r sole
28th Dec 2008, 22:34
try bheads airport save on luggage leave the swags at home there"s a caravan on site yes on site over the e w runway:ugh:you will have to negotiate with friendly neighbour to use:rolleyes:

Mr.Buzzy
29th Dec 2008, 00:38
mmm mmm... I say sailor....Port Fairy sounds simply camp to me!