PDA

View Full Version : Negotiation skill Re Job Interview

Guptar
27th Dec 2008, 09:46
I'm going for a few job interviews soon (instructing) and in a discussion with my other half, she said I really suck as a negotiator. I;m a grade 1 with META and all the trimmings, 3500 hrs or so.

So I'm. looking for some tips and advice from some wiser heads than I.

I have a $ figure that I want, so how does one (tactfully) negotiate to get what you want.

Are schools still crying out for Grade 1's, (compared to say 6 monhs ago)how much does that put the balance in my favour.

ravan
27th Dec 2008, 11:35
Just some thoughts ....

Know what the award will pay for your Qualifications. (Google it)

Know what you want in the way of salary. (Talk to self and other Half)

Decide how badly you want/need the job and pick a figure between those two that you can settle for.

At interview, be tactful but don't beat about the bush. You sound like you have some experience so you can make a respectful request for the figure you want. Many companies are looking for good Grade 1 Instructors so you are on even ground with the interviewer and you should present yourself as someone who understands their worth and is not afraid to ask for it.

I have just left a school and I know that they are struggling to find good Grade 1s and I have been told that this is the situation in many places so you are a valuable asset.

Good luck.