PDA

View Full Version : GFPT,PPL,CPL Cost ratios?

LambOfGod
27th Dec 2008, 08:18
Im just wandering how much you payed for each of the sections. I know every school is different, such as included ground studies and book's inlcuded in a package or rather.
So this is why I would like it as a ratio.

E.g, GFPT - $6,000. PPL - $12,000, CPL - $20,000. So we'll say 1:2:3

If you know the cost of each section could you please tell me. I first thought the 15hr First Solo part (later found out to be the more expensive 40hr GFPT was the go:ugh:...) was the cheapest part.

So thanks, I prefer answers from the recent trainees as it will be more accurate.:D

MyNameIsIs
27th Dec 2008, 08:39
Budget at least 15 grand for a Private and 65 for a bare CPL.

Don't know how much I spent because I don't want to know!

bentleg
27th Dec 2008, 10:16
I am not convinced that ratios is the way to work this out as different people spend longer on different parts. More intensive (regular) training gets you through faster and that will disturb your ratio theory.

For me - 0.3 first solo: 1.0 GFPT; 1.75 PPL. 17 hours to first solo + another 42 hours to get to GFPT + another 44 hours to get to PPL. Multiply it by your hourly rate to get $$$$. Dont tell me the answer.
I have not done CPL, but understand you need 200-250 hours all up to get there. It took me ages (for external reasons) to get through all this, especially GFPT to PPL, as I did it part time over three years. I was 58 when I started and it's harder to teach old dogs new tricks.

Talk to some flight schools. They will give you an (optimistic) assessment, and add in some extra buffer time.

CitationJet
28th Dec 2008, 03:17
Well my experience is hardly recent - circa 1991-6, however the ratios are

RPPL:UPPL:CPL 1:0.7:0.4

Actual dollars were RPPL $5030, PPL an additional $3733, and CPL an additional $1938.

This is only for actual flight training and theory expenses - in between each stage I undertook private flying. Between finishing my RPPL and starting my UPPL I had a break from training of around 5 months where I only flew privately. After finishing my UPPL I had a break of four years before I did my CPL training.

During that break I accumulated the required CPL hours in private flights - consequently, the actual CPL training was minimal, 2 x CPL navs, a couple of hours IF to meet minimums and a flight test.

Don't be told you need an expensive CPL training course. Get your PPL, do some private flying, do your CPL exams and get a good school that is happy to put you up for the CPL test as soon as you meet the standard.

DanArcher
28th Dec 2008, 08:31
Well my experience is hardly recent - circa 1991-6, however the ratios are

RPPL:UPPL:CPL 1:0.7:0.4

Actual dollars were RPPL $5030, PPL an additional $3733, and CPL an additional $1938.

:eek: :eek: :eek: wow how times have changed!

whilst not from my experience, a rough guide from a flight school
zip to GFPT approx 32hrs $6700
GFPT to PPL approx 31hrs $6800
PPL to CPL approx 95 hrs $18000 (flying ultralights or being a jump pilot will get this down)
a nice rosey $32k + all the extras for a bare cpl :ugh:

Van Gough
28th Dec 2008, 11:52
budget up to $100 000 for CPL including hour building and various ratings like IFR & FIR etc Whatever you do don't expect to get it done in the minimums.

LambOfGod
28th Dec 2008, 23:41
Van Gough - Are you a CPL holder?

Ultalights? As in a Jabiru, would you need an ultralight license. I wish glider flying would ad to that damn log book. Then with a PPL I could join a glider club, do some towing and gliding:) Thats prety damn cool.

Citation Jet - How old were you when you got your PPL? I was hoping to have my CPL by the time I finish school but I dont think I could afford it. Maybe just my PPL and I'll get my CPL later.:ok:

I wish
29th Dec 2008, 00:13
Unless you have made 200+ jumps, jump pilots need 200 hrs.

mr.tos
29th Dec 2008, 01:06
I was hoping to have my CPL by the time I finish school but I dont think I could afford it. Maybe just my PPL and I'll get my CPL later.:ok:I highly doubt that you would be able to gain your CPL before you finish school. Firstly your parents would have to be loaded :E. Secondly the amount of study would just kill you. I'm just going into year 12 now and these 6 week christmas holidays have been reading the BAK and PPL books and getting the theory over and done with, on-top of school assignments and all the crap associated with school. So when school starts again I can start the NAV's and not have to worry about the theory, which should let me concentrate on school, which won't happen anyway :cool:

Also remember that you have to be 18 to hold a CPL, so you might not turn 18 until after you finish school. I wouldn't fancy your chances of landing a job either literally the day after you finished school!!!

coke drinker
29th Dec 2008, 01:43
Lamb of God-Don't even try. Your HSC is more important, forget about the flying and trying to get the ratings until its all over. Plus, don't forget you have to be 18 to hold a CPL. This will either mean you can't do the CPL Flight Test until after you have finished school, or it will come up in the middle of intensive studying/exams. Its not a soft flight test, so don't push yourself.

Bentleg, no way you need 250 hours for a CPL. If you're keen about doing the CPL, talk to your school and see if you can get a 150 hour course happening. 150 plus a little extra, is MUCH cheaper than 200+ hours...

CitationJet
29th Dec 2008, 08:49
G'day LambOfGod,

I was 17 and did my RPPL during Year Eleven, starting January finishing July. (I had a few winter weather delays after April!). I then had a break and did my navs and finished off my UPPL in the school holidays between Yr 11 and Yr 12.

I then worked after high school and did my CPL a couple of years later when I was 21.

From memory I had most of the PPL theory - separate exams back then - completed when I was in Yr 10. Back then you could do all the exams before the practical training.